• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Looking at the QB class from a different perspective: Character

blueandblackattack

1 hour ago, AceBoogie said:

Wilson belongs at the bottom of that list. He’s a media creation. 

I dunno man. I like a lot of what I see from him as a prospect in terms of potential. I don't necessarily think he'll be ready day 1, but I think he has the potential to be really good given time to develop (much like Lance).

6 hours ago, blueandblackattack said:

Wanted to riff off of @hepcat post but didn't want to derail it. I'll say upfront I don't have a horse in this race, I think any of the top 4 would fit. Realistically it'll probably be down to Fields or Lance even if we do trade up.

Ever since he beat Clemson and showed that toughness, I've wanted Justin Fields. But right now I'm leaning more towards Trey Lance. Here's why. Early yesterday I started doing my own video research, but from a different angle. Sometimes you can tell a lot about someone by what they project out to the world. How they walk, and especially how they talk.

So instead of highlight reels, I started watching their press conferences and interviews.

Take a look at these Justin Fields press conferences:

Slouching, disinterest, defensive, and trying to answer with the bare minimum of effort. But okay, sure, it was a loss.

After winning the Sugar Bowl:

A little more open, but still looks and talks like he's uncomfortable in the spotlight. No eye contact(even if its a vid conference), Doesn't smile, just stands like a statue. When asked football questions, just going with generic platitudes without going any deeper.

When I see these press conferences, you know who he reminds me of? Cam. Before you say it, this is not me hating on Cam, I appreciated everything he did for us, and that magical 2015 season. But at the end of the day, the teams emotional swings don't just come from the coaches, moreso it comes from player leadership, aka the quarterback. Cam ran very hot and cold with his emotions, and our team echoed that in our play. When he stopped trying in a game, they stopped trying. When he's feeling good, they're playing harder.

Now take a look at a Patrick Mahomes press conference from college:

Right off the bat he comes off as comfortable in his own skin, confident, eye contact, is able to talk in complete sentences and at length about football while pivoting to anecdotes without being prompted. Even keeled that seems like someone you can rely on when things get tough.

What about someone Fitts helped draft:

Even keeled, able to communicate clearly, comfortable in his own skin.

You can look up more, but their attitude and presence is consistent.

Bottom line: they sound and act like pro's before they've even been in the NFL.

Now look at Trey Lance (at the 8:00 mark):

Even keeled, comfortable in his own skin, communicates clearly and able to riff off anecdotes and details without being prompted.

Looks familiar yet? He looks and sounds pro ready. Like the kindof leader that will stay even keeled when the games on the line and things arent going your way. Like someone the team will be able to feed off that energy and be able to fight back without letting the lows get too low, like we used to do.

So for me, I think a year behind Teddy, like Alex Smith and Mahomes, or Matt Flynn and Wilson, and this guy could be something. He seems ready upstairs.

And based on Fields press conferences, I'm not sure he's that guy, or can become that guy. Being a QB is more than just statistics, it's about being a pro, win or lose.

Anyway, just my 2 cents and just thought it was interesting to share.

To be fair, Lance has never lost. So what adversity has he gone through to see how he really may behave? Product of the watering down of FCS with losses of quality programs going back to the Mid-90's. 

8 minutes ago, CPcavedweller said:

To be fair, Lance has never lost. So what adversity has he gone through to see how he really may behave? Product of the watering down of FCS with losses of quality programs going back to the Mid-90's. 

Well he’s been doubted his entire career with d1 schools wanting to change his position from qb to a linebacker or safety. That’s why he went NDSU route. He definitely has a chip on his shoulder. I’d say that’s adversity in some ways.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1
  • Flames 1

I am no qb guru or anything just a dude that watches and has watched a lot of football for a long time and I have said all along there is just something I found amiss about fields.  Not saying its per se but man just hearing him speak and his game to me there is just something not right and I cannot put my finger on it.

After Trevor I like Wilson then Lance but its basically neck and neck.  If Lance had played this year and played well comparable to last season then he would be right behind TL but we will never know

• Pie 1

So the best thing to ever happen to this organization and only reason we had any success at all in the past ten years is what you choose to use as a negative example? 👀 I like a QB who can energize a team, this “even keeled” stuff is what you get with a Teddy.  Rogers, Brady, Favre, Manning, Brees, they all got fired up and emotional in games. Sure there are examples of good QBs who don’t, like Russell Wilson, but I’d rather have a leader like the previous examples. Not trying to poo on the OP too much, I just disagree. Don’t think interviews have anything to do with game performance. 

• Pie 3

6 hours ago, Pup McBarky said:

Not sure what interview performances have to do with character, tbh. Cam did some really bad interviews but he's a person of high character. Some people just aren't very comfortable in front of the camera or talking to people. One fairly successful NFL coach comes to mind. Lives in New England.

That's fair, I should've replaced Character with Leadership. Cam did have very high character for what he did through his charities and helping people. But as far as leadership skills, to me, was only on when he was feeling good, and when it was bad it was worse.

Now, I've never seen Belichick throw a 60 yard pass with edge rushers at his heels. That's not meant to be condescending, but my point is that when Brady was gone, all his scheming didn't amount to as much as they did before. Coaches coach, but players play, and you need that field general to be an extension of the coaches message to keep the troops in line.

• Beer 1

4 hours ago, Urrymonster2 said:

You need to factor in the fields interviews where zoom... that’s a totally different experience to standing up in front of people

Fair enough. Here's a press conference pre COVID-19.

Now, if you didnt know which one was a quarterback, and only heard their voices, who would you think is the quarterback and leader of the team? Starts at 5:00

4 hours ago, musicman said:

I think this is a good angle. Answering questions smoothly and quickly shows how you can process things quickly. It's a small sample but never less a sample. 

Exactly. It's not the be all, end all. It's all purely speculation and gut feelings. I do put some stock in press conferences. I think how you handle yourself and adversity in press conferences can set the tone for your franchise.

• Beer 1

6 minutes ago, blueandblackattack said:

That's fair, I should've replaced Character with Leadership. Cam did have very high character for what he did through his charities and helping people. But as far as leadership skills, to me, was only on when he was feeling good, and when it was bad it was worse.

Now, I've never seen Belichick throw a 60 yard pass with edge rushers at his heels. That's not meant to be condescending, but my point is that when Brady was gone, all his scheming didn't amount to as much as they did before. Coaches coach, but players play, and you need that field general to be an extension of the coaches message to keep the troops in line.

That roster was a shell of itself from when Brady was there. They went all out for Brady year after year and that poo catches up to you. Brady sucked them dry and then went to Tampa and stacked the roster there. Brady is great a great player but he’s always played on great teams. 

• Pie 1

4 minutes ago, AceBoogie said:

That roster was a shell of itself from when Brady was there. They went all out for Brady year after year and that poo catches up to you. Brady sucked them dry and then went to Tampa and stacked the roster there. Brady is great a great player but he’s always played on great teams. 

I'd argue that he made them great by his example, standards and work ethic. They threw throwaway wide receivers to him every year that they signed in free agency that made household names for themselves. A high tide raises all boats.

4 hours ago, Zod said:

I was more defending Fields. Most people are not good at public speaking. To assume they lack character as a result probably isn't wise. 

That's fair, I meant more in terms of showing signs of leadership and confidence was what I was focusing on. Definitely not character.

And to be fair, I did say in the beginning that I had no horse in this race and would be happy with any of the top 4. Only saying that after watching their press conferences, I'm now leaning more towards Trey Lance. Who's to say Fields isn't the guy, but it's just my impression right now.

Even watching Fields on the sidelines, in the "huddle", I just thought he was more stoic or introverted. But now idk, there is something to be said about charisma and being able to rally the troops when the game is on the line at halftime, and to me he doesn't give me that impression.

• Pie 1