• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Tim Weaver & Panthers Wire ranks 8 QB trade targets (sans Watson)

top dawg

Interesting! If we don't get Watson, Tim Weaver and USA Today's Panthers Wire have a surprise for us! I think that they're ranking some guys as hypothetical potential trade targets that the Huddle is not really taking seriously. 

Sure, they mention Wentz and Darnold among others. And, a lot would (and could) have to happen for some of these young guys to become available, but I'd be down with giving them a shot if things just don't work out for us in the Watson soap opera or what I'll refer to as the "draftosphere". 

You probably want to read the article, but their top three picks for us based upon a semblance of realism and value are Tua Tagovailoa at three, Jalen Hurts at two and...(drumroll)...Gardner Minshew at one! Sounds like dark horses, right? Perhaps! Minshew might as well be on the block now, so I think he could become a reality if Fit and company decide to make it so.

I'd love to get Tua. There's plenty to work with, and I wouldn't let an underwhelming rookie tour deter me leastwise from obtaining him if the price is right. Hurts' season was even more underwhelming, but you have to remember that these guys are still young and more towards the raw side of the scale. There's still something to work with though, and the price may be right for the clay that is Hurts. He hasn't been in Philly long enough to mess him up (at least I don't think...even with Pederson's stunt). With that being said, I will leave you with Tim Weaver's own words in regards to Minshew, who apparently has some advanced analytical support backing up his starter's potential. He has to be a better fit than Teddy, right? From Panthers Wire:

...Minshew has started 20 games, compiling a 7-13 record. His NFL production has been respectable if not overwhelming or eye-catching. Minshew’s posted 37 touchdowns, 11 picks, 7.2 yards per attempt and an only-0average 93.1 passer rating.

Those stats can be deceiving, though. Jacksonville has fallen on hard times since their 2017 squad pushed the Patriots to the brink in the AFC Championship. They lack playmakers at too many positions to even count, which was the main reason they finished 1-15 this year and wound up with the first pick in the draft. Minshew has a strong rapport with the underrated D.J. Chark, but there’s no true WR1 on their roster. Truth is, he could have done a lot more with a receiver corps as stacked Carolina’s.

Some of the advanced stats suggest Minshew’s a diamond in the rough, too. According to Pro Football Focus, he had the NFL’s third-highest passer rating against the blitz this season. In addition to being sharp against pressure, Minshew is far more accurate than his completion percentage suggests and his on-target throw % was among league leaders all year.

On film, Minshew has a gorgeous deep ball and plays the position fearlessly, if a little reckless at times. His aggressive instincts are worth encouraging though, especially after the checkdown parade we just witnessed from Teddy Bridgewater.

Overall, his game is still a bit raw. However, in the right situation Minshew could have a shocking breakout type of season similar to the one Josh Allen just had in Buffalo.

Minshew would be a grand bargain from a contract perspective, as well. His total cap hits over the next two years come out to less than $2 million, which means Carolina could easily make room for him without having to move Bridgewater and his ill-conceived bridge QB deal. Even better, dealing for Minshew might only require one mid-round pick.

Verdict:

Admittedly, there are other young QBs on this list who are superior athletes with a higher ceiling. That said, Minshew has enticing qualities and has made enough flashy throws to convince us that he can be a well above-average starter in the NFL. With the right pieces around him, he might even be a Pro Bowler. Trading for Minshew is exactly the kind of low-risk, potential high-reward move that championship teams make. There may be no other player who could offer this franchise more overall value in a trade.

https://pantherswire.usatoday.com/lists/panthers-quarterback-trade-options-sam-darnold-jalen-hurts-gardner-minshew/

• Pie 2
  • Beer 2

Awful! Hurts, Tua, Minshew - Absolutely NOT to each. Small guys, small arms, and they share one other thing - none are franchise QBs. We already do not have that so why compound that (those) mistake(s).

Once again, the Panthers are shopping at second hand stores for third rate stock. I am tired of being the sucker that lurches from bad QB to bad QB to worse QB.       

Edited by FakePlasticTrees
  • Pie 1
  • Beer 1

Dude writes garbage for clicks.  For every one article Weaver writes worth reading containing actual news, there's 10 more like this of random thoughts of throwing mud on the wall.  If I want a good laugh, I usually will read one of his or David Newton's articles.  Talk about being in poor company.

1 hour ago, FakePlasticTrees said:

Awful! Hurts, Tua, Minshew - Absolutely NOT to each. Small guys, small arms, and they share one other thing - none are franchise QBs. We already do not have that so why compound that (those) mistake(s).

Once again, the Panthers are shopping at second hand stores for third rate stock. I am tired of being the sucker that lurches from bad QB to bad QB to worse QB.       

I don't get how you can call Tua or Hurts "awful" with such a small body of work. Seriously, if a coach (some of them HoFers) had taken your attitude or approach, then Peyton Manning, Troy Aikmen and John Elway would've been gone! Phil Simms and Eli Manning would've also been toast. I'm also old enough to have seen Terry Bradshaw and Dan Fouts in their primes. I was too young to remember their rookie seasons through an analytical or contextual prism, but they were both excellent QBs who had notably poor rookie seasons. Bradshaw was awful! But, as you know, these guys got into the Hall of Fame for a reason! They ultimately turned into great players! Tua and Hurts did some notable things in college with their arms and legs. Tua came into the league injured, so he had not only to deal with the normal transition, but rehabbing. 

I get that this is a now-now-now generation, but damn! Let the guys get in a full season or two of games before going all Cowherd or Bayless.

• Pie 2

I mean, call the writer whatever, but if we're looking at guys who aren't broken, showed promise, and may just need a change of scenery, those three are Minshew, Darnold, & Hurts.  I'm not no board with Tua.  He concerns me after watching him this season.  He had some good streaks and times when he was throwing downfield, but he's very safe with the football/risk averse to the point where their offensive stats looked like ours with Bridge/Mike Davis.

2 hours ago, Tbe said:

Minshew did lead them to the #1 overall pick.

That counts for something.

to be fair, he was on a team committed to losing, last year trading ramsey, and hell CUTTING fournette before the season.  He was lead by a god awful front office and an even worse coaching staff.  FWIW, he sure as hell is an improvement over teddy

• Beer 1