• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Other positions that need to be looked at besides Qb, this offseason

Tre Boston is garbage.  I take a deep breath everytime Slye kicks a extra point or field goal.  We still have a lot of major holes. I feel we're still a year out from really being the team we should be.  Thoughts. 

• Pie 1

OL is the biggest non-QB priority. That group is almost all completely gone and was largely trash last year.

LB is a need, DB is a need, TE is a need, DL is a need, K is a need. 

We have more positions with needs than we have positions that don't have needs. 

• Pie 4
3 minutes ago, imminent rogaine said:

Other positions? Hmm other than LT, RG, C, LG, RT(at the moment), MLB, DT, S, TE, CB, and slot wr, we really are looking pretty good. 

That's a good start.  Don't forget depth at each of those positions.  Also we could use a backup QB while you are out shopping for a starter there as well.  

• Beer 2
20 minutes ago, jackson113 said:

Tre Boston is garbage.  I take a deep breath everytime Slye kicks a extra point or field goal.  We still have a lot of major holes. I feel we're still a year out from really being the team we should be.  Thoughts. 

Nope. 2-3 years. TBs contract is literally set up for that and for good reason.

You’re looking at no cap next year.

Still need a franchise QB.

No oline. Literally. You’re looking for 7-8 guys including serviceable backups.

One LB.

One DB. Maybe two.

And I’m talking about serviceable players, can’t have a star at every position.

Thats at least a dozen players including the most important, QB.

That is either a fantastic, extraordinary 2 years or a realistic 3 years.

2023 we should begin to see the fruits of labor.

• Beer 2
6 minutes ago, imminent rogaine said:

Other positions? Hmm other than LT, RG, C, LG, RT(at the moment), MLB, DT, S, TE, CB, and slot wr, we really are looking pretty good. 

When I do my mocks, I run out of picks before they can be all addressed...even moving back to get a couple more.  That's why I don't know whether to laugh or punch the computer when people so casually want to ship a couple of 1st and 3-4 other draft picks in a QB trade.  It's like they sell NFL jerseys for a living or something.  It sure as heck doesn't make sense when you are trying to build a team for the long term.

• Pie 3
29 minutes ago, jackson113 said:

CB... MLB... Then Safety. Draft a kicker late in the draft if one is there and draft a LT early in 2022. Also at some point in the next 2 drafts, LG C RG. 

Edited by Matt62881

Listing them by importance:

Tier A: (Absoultey has to be addressed this offseason)

(QB) LT, CB

Tier B: (Most should be addressed)

MLB, OG, DT 3-tech, TE, RT

Tier C.: (Can be put off to 2022)

C, DE, S, flex RB/slot WR, OLB, outside WR

• Beer 1

I consider any team without a top QB to be several seasons away from being good unless they land a Watson type QB in FA. Assuming we are drafting a QB then next season is almost certainly sub .500. The rookie QB, assuming he is franchise quality, might be ready to lead a team with a good roster to a winning record the following season.

Basically next season is going to be bad W/L wise unless we land Watson. Beyond next season you move into extremely hypothetical predictions that could be way off. On the other hand, anyone following our team can predict that next is not going to go well. That's as easy as when everyone thought last season wasn't going to go well. No crap? Of course it was a mess.

We're in just as bad a position as any other bottom feeding team. We have no QB, and our roster is not good. That's the same as all the other bad teams, but we might be slightly better or worse depending on the other bottom feeder, but we're in the same slop bucket.

The scary thing is that we're missing positions that usually take a first rounder to replace with confidence. You REALLY don't want to need to draft both a starting LT and QB. That's two 1st rounders, or a miracle move in free agency and a 1st rounder. Not good. One 1st will have to go to the QB in 2021.

It gets worse. We also need a #1 top quality CB, and those guys need to mostly be found early in the draft. We can't do it in this draft imo, so 2022 we get a CB.

We also need LG/C/RG, so it's a bad idea to try and put that off for another season. It places your QB in a lot of danger. That has to be addressed in 2021, and that will wipe out the rest of our draft capital. We might wait on C.

A lesser need is a play-making TE. We can put that off until the 2022 draft.

KK is toast, so a pass rushing DT is also needed. That too will have to be put off until 2022.

Edited by pantherj
  • Beer 1
46 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

OL is the biggest non-QB priority. That group is almost all completely gone and was largely trash last year.

LB is a need, DB is a need, TE is a need, DL is a need, K is a need. 

We have more positions with needs than we have positions that don't have needs. 

And people want to trade away 10 draft picks and positions of strength for 1 player

Edited by Daddy_Uncle
  • Pie 1
19 minutes ago, 45catfan said:

When I do my mocks, I run out of picks before they can be all addressed...even moving back to get a couple more.  That's why I don't know whether to laugh or punch the computer when people so casually want to ship a couple of 1st and 3-4 other draft picks in a QB trade.  It's like they sell NFL jerseys for a living or something.  It sure as heck doesn't make sense when you are trying to build a team for the long term.

I can’t see how we address those needs without trading back twice. Which obviously raises the question of QB. The only path I see to checking all of the boxes is for Lance to be there at 8 and we trade back to the mid teens. Then Mac Jones still be there when we pick again and we trade back again. Then we’d have to land a QB later on and likely have him sit behind teddy. This scenario would make people’s heads explode, and maybe rightly so. It also doesn’t feel like Tepper or Rhule are on-board with another year of TB.

An alternative I can think of would to be to try and get Minshew and Both of Jacksonville’s seconds off of them. Three second round picks and QB checked off... sort-of.

Any sort of trade up and even just staying at 8, guarantees that we have another year of Greg Little/Tahir Whitehead type play. It’s just kind of a shitty position to be in. Glaring needs all over, limited draft capital, and some overpaid contracts on the books.