• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Russell Wilson unhappy?

Dex

I am sitting here a little in awe of those who think a QB who may be unhappy because he has to run for his life when he takes a snap will certainly want to come to a team that has had to give their starting QBs hazardous duty pay for something like 9 of the last 10 years.

Granted, the gentlemen who devised those stellar OLs are gone, but if you are Wilson, well, "what's in your wallet?"

• Beer 1

I think the issue here is largely that the the bulk of the people have no earthly idea about the salary cap, cap percentage, signing bonuses, etc, etc. 

If you want to compare all the elite QB's and their historic cap hits(even some legacy players) go to OTC and search their contract history. It will show you that although Wilson or Watson or Mahomes have this massive contracts, their projected and past cap hits have largely been in line with what elite NFL QB's command. 

• Beer 1

5 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

He spent 10 years of his career at between 10-15% cap utilization. He could have gotten more but he also wasn't exactly getting paid peanuts. For the bulk of his career he was the highest paid player on the Pats.

How did he compare to other QBs? It should be no surprise he was usually the highest on his team.

• Pie 1

4 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

I think the issue here is largely that the the bulk of the people have no earthly idea about the salary cap, cap percentage, signing bonuses, etc, etc. 

If you want to compare all the elite QB's and their historic cap hits(even some legacy players) go to OTC and search their contract history. It will show you that although Wilson or Watson or Mahomes have this massive contracts, their projected and past cap hits have largely been in line with what elite NFL QB's command. 

I believe the comment is in regards to how much elite qbs command. It makes sense and it also makes sense to discuss how it makes it difficult to add all the quality pieces around them needed.

• Pie 1

44 minutes ago, CRA said:

I just see this as a QB flexing his power/influence on his team.....not that he wants out.  I think we will see more and more NFL players wielding their power going forward. 

You're probably right but the team can only do so much in the market to improve when his personal salary takes a huge chunk of the overall CAP.

The teams that can hit consistently in the draft, especially the lower rounds, can absorb this hit. However, if you miss a couple of years running now the only way to address your deficiencies are through free agency and you may not have the funds available to do it.

• Pie 2

11 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

He spent 10 years of his career at between 10-15% cap utilization. He could have gotten more but he also wasn't exactly getting paid peanuts. For the bulk of his career he was the highest paid player on the Pats.

A great QB should be the highest paid player on the team. I think most of us are cool with that, but 51 other players need to get paid as well. NFL rosters are by far the largest in professional sports. 

Just for the heck of it, I decided to add up how much it would cost to have a top paid player at each spot on the Franchise tag chart I posted earlier (QB, DE, WR, LB, CB, OL, DT, S, RB, TE). It would cost you almost approximately $150 million to have one player at each position. Every position listed requires more than one player at that postion on the field at all times except QB, TE, and RB (unless you use a FB a lot).

Last year's cap was just under $200 million. You'd have to pay the other 42 guys with the remaining $50 million. Of course, due to the pandemic, the cap is dropping to 180 million which will make the situation even worse. You literally have to decide on which positions are of most value and hope you cheaply fill the other ones. If you can't find cheap talent in the draft your chances of competing year end and year out for title are pretty slim.

• Beer 1

27 minutes ago, SCO96 said:

A great QB should be the highest paid player on the team. I think most of us are cool with that, but 51 other players need to get paid as well. NFL rosters are by far the largest in professional sports. 

Just for the heck of it, I decided to add up how much it would cost to have a top paid player at each spot on the Franchise tag chart I posted earlier (QB, DE, WR, LB, CB, OL, DT, S, RB, TE). It would cost you almost approximately $150 million to have one player at each position. Every position listed requires more than one player at that postion on the field at all times except QB, TE, and RB (unless you use a FB a lot).

Last year's cap was just under $200 million. You'd have to pay the other 42 guys with the remaining $50 million. Of course, due to the pandemic, the cap is dropping to 180 million which will make the situation even worse. You literally have to decide on which positions are of most value and hope you cheaply fill the other ones. If you can't find cheap talent in the draft your chances of competing year end and year out for title are pretty slim.

Exactly. And part of what Russell is probably bitching about(and what Cam and Teddy could bitch about) is the lack of being able to sign or draft quality offensive linemen. We may not be able to pay Moton what he is worth, because you have to make hard choices and great RT's aren't as valuable or hard to find as LT's are.

We signed Matt Kalil to a monstrous contract and he was terrible. We signed a LG to a massive contract(not a position that requires a massive contract). We signed Matt Paradis to a large contract he hasn't lived up to. We traded up to acquire a guy like Little who the rest of the league took a hard pass on.

So it isn't just that you need to go out and spend mega-bucks in free agency. You need to fuging be smart about building an OL. Shrewd free agent acquisitions, SMART drafting, etc. I don't see why every draft you don't take at least 1 OL or DL player. You can't afford to keep everyone around forever(ask the Saints). So if you can crush drafting, pick and choose the guys you pay. 

That doesn't include paying mega-bucks to low positional value players like OG, LB and RB, which we have done the past few years.

• Pie 2

3 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

Exactly. And part of what Russell is probably bitching about(and what Cam and Teddy could bitch about) is the lack of being able to sign or draft quality offensive linemen. We may not be able to pay Moton what he is worth, because you have to make hard choices and great RT's aren't as valuable or hard to find as LT's are.

We signed Matt Kalil to a monstrous contract and he was terrible. We signed a LG to a massive contract(not a position that requires a massive contract). We signed Matt Paradis to a large contract he hasn't lived up to. We traded up to acquire a guy like Little who the rest of the league took a hard pass on.

So it isn't just that you need to go out and spend mega-bucks in free agency. You need to fuging be smart about building an OL. Shrewd free agent acquisitions, SMART drafting, etc. I don't see why every draft you don't take at least 1 OL or DL player. You can't afford to keep everyone around forever(ask the Saints). So if you can crush drafting, pick and choose the guys you pay. 

That doesn't include paying mega-bucks to low positional value players like OG, LB and RB, which we have done the past few years.

Pointing Up Morgan Freeman GIF by MOODMAN

• Beer 2

9 minutes ago, NAS said:

So Russell wants a quality line but wouldn't take a team friendly deal.  You can't have your cake and eat it too.

Yes you can. There are multiple examples of this in the NFL. The problem is that Seattle has struggled building an OL for years. It isn't some new problem.

This is the same struggle Cam had and he was on a very team friendly deal. The issue isn't money, the issue is that the Seahawks don't make OL a priority the same way we never do. That isn't a recipe for success.