• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Sewell

bythenbrs

2 hours ago, Mage said:

So you would rather them reach for a mediocre QB or overpay in a trade for one (other than Watson) than draft Sewell?

I want a QB too. But we shouldn’t force it for the sake of if Wilson/Fields/Lance are off the board. Jones and Trask suck and it amazes me people would be okay with that in the 1st lol

No, I'd rather trade down and accumulate more future draft assets because we're probably going to have to trade up next year.

1 hour ago, SetfreexX said:

Considering we were willing to shop #8 and then some for Stafford, I think this regime will do all it can to trade up and draft the next face of the franchise. #3, or #5 since a trade with ATL at #4 is out of the question. 

I still can't see NYJ taking a QB at #2, Darnold was billed highly and NYJ has been a dumpster fire since he's been there from a coaching perspective, with some knock it out the prospects available if I'm the NYJ I'm inclined to pick a stud (Sewell / Smith / Chase), or trade back and accumulate more picks inside the top 10-15 if a partner is available since they have a franchise capable yet to be proven QB on the roster with three years left at rookie pay. 

I think they were a lot more likely to pick a QB when they were in position to pick a guy named Lawrence.  Now, I am certainly not convinced they won't do what you are thinking. 

Their overall roster is in need of a lot of pieces, too, so trading down is certainly an option.

54 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

No, I'd rather trade down and accumulate more future draft assets because we're probably going to have to trade up next year.

Eh maybe if Sewell isn't there but if he is available, you gotta take him.  You just have to, unless a team is offering you a great great deal to move up.

And an elite LT is worth a lot.  If you agree Sewell has the potential to be that, then I don't think you trade down unless you are getting a future 1st (on top of whatever 1st the team trading with you already has) and multiple 2nds in return.

But yes, if Sewell isn't there and Wilson/Lance/Fields are gone, then we should trade down.

26 minutes ago, Mage said:

Eh maybe if Sewell isn't there but if he is available, you gotta take him.  You just have to, unless a team is offering you a great great deal to move up.

And an elite LT is worth a lot.  If you agree Sewell has the potential to be that, then I don't think you trade down unless you are getting a future 1st (on top of whatever 1st the team trading with you already has) and multiple 2nds in return.

But yes, if Sewell isn't there and Wilson/Lance/Fields are gone, then we should trade down.

On offense the hardest position to fill beside QB is LEFT TACKLE. I think Sewell is more of a sure thing than any of the QB's not named Trevor Lawrence.

I'm still baffled so many people on this board are willing to trade up lose draft choices for Justin Fields.  Fields is product of Ohio State, that alone should disqualify us from taking him in the 1st round. Zach Wilson throws a nice ball. He put up some gaudy numbers. But, I don't think BYU even played a team from a power 5 conference this past season. All the teams I remember seeing on their schedule were from the Sun Belt, Moutain West, Big South, C-USA, conferences. That doesn't mean he won't be any good, but he isn't a sure thing either.

I've always looked at our rebuild as taking 3-4 years to compete for a conference title. I think the world won't end if we continue to build a solid roster and get our future QB in another draft or acquire him thru a trade or free agency.

8 minutes ago, SCO96 said:

On offense the hardest position to fill beside QB is LEFT TACKLE. I think Sewell is more of a sure thing than any of the QB's not named Trevor Lawrence.

I'm still baffled so many people on this board are willing to trade up lose draft choices for Justin Fields.  Fields is product of Ohio State, that alone should disqualify us from taking him in the 1st round. Zach Wilson throws a nice ball. He put up some gaudy numbers. But, I don't think BYU even played a team from a power 5 conference this past season. All the teams I remember seeing on their schedule were from the Sun Belt, Moutain West, Big South, C-USA, conferences. That doesn't mean he won't be any good, but he isn't a sure thing either.

I've always looked at our rebuild as taking 3-4 years to compete for a conference title. I think the world won't end if we continue to build a solid roster and get our future QB in another draft or acquire him thru a trade or free agency.

Agreed on Fields in particular.  I've read he struggles at reading defenses and that in and of itself disqualifies him from consideration in my opinion.  

Wilson is interesting but I think he's one of those guys who'd be best off sitting for a year or so, and I'd prefer to go in a direction where we get a day one starter at 8 this year.

11 minutes ago, SCO96 said:

If you go strictly by the you don't draft *insert position* from *insert college program*, then Brian Burns isn't a Panther because lord knows there's no shortage of NFL bust pass rushers from FSU.

There are a lot of teams that wish they hadn't rolled their eyes at yet another Jeff Tedford Call QB when Aaron Rodgers was available.