• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Latest NFL.com mock has us trading up to #2 for Zach Wilson

Hoenheim

40 minutes ago, SetfreexX said:

No real difference than Josh Allen out of a smaller school in Wyoming, and he was 7th overall...Baker and Donald went ahead of him, then Rosen at 10. 

That is not correct. Wyoming is a division 1 school. North Dakota state is a division 2 school. Just in Josh Allen's final year at Wyoming, they played Iowa, Oregon, Boise State, San Jose state, Fresno State and Air Force. Most if not all of these teams are often ranked in the top 25 (division 1 AP and coach's poll rankings).

Take a look at the teams regularly on ND's schedule, and you will see they play much worse competition. 

I'm not saying Trey Lance can't end up being a good NFL player, but he has played very low level competition in college. Even playing an SEC team or some like Clemson would be a tremendous step up in talent - now imagine the jump in talent from a division 2 college to the NFL. 

• Pie 1

16 minutes ago, BrizzMachete said:

They forcing this Zach Wilson kid a lil too hard . But poo on Fields over two bad games lol i don’t get it . But but but the Indiana game . 

Not advocating for Wilson or this trade but just found this piece on Fields and thought it was interesting.

Those who love analytics will love this — or maybe they won’t. One team who has already broken down every pass thrown by Justin Fields in 2020 said in private conversations he looked off the primary target on just seven throws.  That’s under three percent of his passes.

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/nfl-draft-free-agency-news-rumors-2021-senior-bowl/

• Pie 1
  • Flames 1

13 hours ago, 45catfan said:

How many National titles does Wilson have?   Undefeated seasons???  Pick-less seasons????  Anything??????

Lance played one season in a run first offense where he was hardly asked to carry the load. I like him, but his accomplishments should be seen in that context. I wish we had a full season in 2020 to see him play, tbh.

Edited by mav1234

7 minutes ago, panthers320 said:

Not advocating for Wilson or this trade but just found this piece on Fields and thought it was interesting.

Those who love analytics will love this — or maybe they won’t. One team who has already broken down every pass thrown by Justin Fields in 2020 said in private conversations he looked off the primary target on just seven throws.  That’s under three percent of his passes.

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/nfl-draft-free-agency-news-rumors-2021-senior-bowl/

I don’t love analytics . There’s a place for it but not the end all be all . And i call bs that thru two seasons he only looked off the primary 7 times . Better yet how do they even know who the primary receivers is if they don’t have the playbook ? And if all is true you can def fix this problem with a good coaching staff . Fields have something you can’t teach tho and that toughness and I’ll take that with his other flaws 

8 minutes ago, BrizzMachete said:

I don’t love analytics . There’s a place for it but not the end all be all . And i call bs that thru two seasons he only looked off the primary 7 times . Better yet how do they even know who the primary receivers is if they don’t have the playbook ? And if all is true you can def fix this problem with a good coaching staff . Fields have something you can’t teach tho and that toughness and I’ll take that with his other flaws 

They said only 2020. It could be that whoever he looked at first they considered the primary. They also note that it could be just that the WRs were so open he didnt need to go through progressions either. I have watched a handful of Ohio St games as a spectator and not to analyze them but he certainly passes the eye test. 

Edited by panthers320

6 minutes ago, panthers320 said:

They said only 2020. It could be that whoever he looked at first they considered the primary. They also note that it could be just that the WRs were so open he didnt need to go through progressions either. I have watched a handful of Ohio St games as a spectator and not to analyze them but he certainly passes the eye test. 

He’s legit . The first osu qb i ever said that  about . Lawerence then Fields then good luck after that with this draft 

• Pie 1

I wonder what the results we would have seen if Wilson or Lance played for OSU in place of Fields.  Those 2 weren’t tested anywhere near as much as Fields.  He did it in huge games on the biggest stage in college football too.

Overall Fields was really good and I can see what he did against good comp.  Id be happy with Fields personally.

Edited by Shocker

1 hour ago, USC/panthers_11 said:

That is not correct. Wyoming is a division 1 school. North Dakota state is a division 2 school. Just in Josh Allen's final year at Wyoming, they played Iowa, Oregon, Boise State, San Jose state, Fresno State and Air Force. Most if not all of these teams are often ranked in the top 25 (division 1 AP and coach's poll rankings).

Take a look at the teams regularly on ND's schedule, and you will see they play much worse competition. 

I'm not saying Trey Lance can't end up being a good NFL player, but he has played very low level competition in college. Even playing an SEC team or some like Clemson would be a tremendous step up in talent - now imagine the jump in talent from a division 2 college to the NFL. 

You Wilson nut huggers don't seem to get it, you're not DRAFTING THE SCHOOL the young man plays at, you are drafting the player, stats, D1, 2 etc. is great to argue about, but at the end of the day does the young man have NFL talent. 

Lance does, anyone that breaks the film down can attest, he's going to have the ability to survive behind a weak OL, and similar to Fields not only can he make all the throws, he can be a featured part of the run game. Wilson is talented, but you're not drawing up designed runs for him. With a weaker OL the offense will need layers, when you have to worry about a mobile QB that can finish runs, CMC, and Robby, and DJ as well that opens up the offense and alleviates pressure on the OL with the right calls by the OC. 

Josh Allen is as big as Cam almost (6'5 / 237), and Fields (6'3 / 228), and Lance (6'4 / 226 ) are right there as well, they are built to take NFL hits / sacks. That part of the game is inevitable, Wilson is built closer to Teddy Bridgewater at 6'3 under 210, that's a big difference when you consider a players availability. When guys play at lower levels you want to see the DOMINATE the competition like Chinn did at a small school, and like Lance did at NDSU. 

Fields then Lance are my preferences whether by trade or one being available at #8. Wilson is talented, but for me he's too small. Even Brady is listed at 6'4 / 225. You cannot be thin back there taking these hits. 

Edited by SetfreexX