• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Marcus Mariotta?

raleigh-panther

10 minutes ago, Sgt Schultz said:

I think they are shopping Carr.

The problem is that is a loaded statement on my part.  The coach is Jon Gruden.  He has wanted to trade Carr since day one.  If Mariota becomes the starting QB, then he will want to trade Mariota.  If Mahomes were to wind up in Las Vegas after Mariota, he would want to trade Mahomes.  The man has never met a QB he didn't want to unload.

I have heard that for 2 years now.  Not sure they know what they are doing

18 minutes ago, Sgt Schultz said:

I think they are shopping Carr.

The problem is that is a loaded statement on my part.  The coach is Jon Gruden.  He has wanted to trade Carr since day one.  If Mariota becomes the starting QB, then he will want to trade Mariota.  If Mahomes were to wind up in Las Vegas after Mariota, he would want to trade Mahomes.  The man has never met a QB he didn't want to unload.

There were reports that they were shopping Carr because conditions related to his contract were more favorable to that this year than in prior years.

More recently I've seen it suggested that they'd rather keep Carr and trade Mariota.

You're right though. It's Gruden. Next week he'll probably be ready to start Nathan Peterman.

34 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

I have heard that for 2 years now.  Not sure they know what they are doing

They don't. 

Gruden could have Rodgers, Mahomes, and Brady in the QB stable and he would want to unload all three, in order of who started last.  I think he uses the philosophy about QBs that he is not happy unless he is not happy.  Or, perhaps if he stops complaining about his QB, somebody might get the idea the problem is him. 

It is another level of "missed opportunities."

10 minutes ago, saX man said:

We wouldn't be shipping Theodore there and Mariota's contract is 8.8/yr.  Unsure how it all widdles down but that's more than the savings post-dead money hit in the event we release Teddy.  Doesn't make sense $$$ wise.  He's also a mythical creature.

Jon Gruden's reputation as a quarterback guru is also mythical.

• Pie 3

2 hours ago, saX man said:

We wouldn't be shipping Theodore there and Mariota's contract is 8.8/yr.  Unsure how it all widdles down but that's more than the savings post-dead money hit in the event we release Teddy.  Doesn't make sense $$$ wise.  He's also a mythical creature.

I started to comment earlier that I was in favor of giving Mariota a look last year, largely because he probably could be had for cheap and I was not convinced he had been given a reasonable shot to succeed in Tennessee. 

When I thought about extending that to this year, especially given our one-layer deep QB depth chart, I looked at the cap numbers.  I could not come to terms with the numbers, either.

1 minute ago, Moo Daeng said:

We cant accept mediocrity! 

Let's accept a different version of mediocrity!

I don't think that's it. With so many teams needing or desiring a franchise QB--or at least an upgrade--and so few options available, they're probably scouring film for one they can fix and essentially throwing poo on a wall to see if it sticks. "There has to be that Tannehill (or maybe Cousins) out there somewhere."

People were expecting a pretty crazy quarterback carousel this year. Now I'm not so sure.

Seems like the Stafford deal skewed everybody's expectations a little bit. Now some teams are thinking "hey if they got that, we can get it too" even though their quarterbacks don't have anywhere near the ability that Stafford does.