• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Per Joe Person: players Panthers would like to re-sign

TheSpecialJuan

3 minutes ago, Eazy-E said:

Samuel may end up being much cheaper than everyone is thinking. 

This FA WR class is pretty deep and talented. 

Samuel is like borderline top 10 in this FA class mainly because he is still only 25.

Samuel is young and talented, he's going to get a decent contract from another team. 

Similar to Vernon Butler last year when the Bills signed him to a 2 year incentive laden $18 million dollar deal

10 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

The reduced cap is going to hurt some feelings in free agency.  I think there could be some cheap value at the end of free agency--we should sit back and bargain shop during week 2 of free agency.

Teams that have money to spend are going to get some great deals.

The big name guys will still get paid, but I fully expect some of the guys that would normally be going in that 4-8m range will be in the 3-6 range.  I would think there might be a lot of guys signing one year deals because of this.

21 minutes ago, TheSpecialJuan said:

Samuel is young and talented, he's going to get a decent contract from another team. 

Similar to Vernon Butler last year when the Bills signed him to a 2 year incentive laden $18 million dollar deal

He got that deal because of the Buffalo Carolina connection.

Only team I can see that would offer more than what I imagine the extension Samuel turned down would be the Giants for the same reasons. 

1 hour ago, MHS831 said:

When Person recently reported that there was a 30% chance to re-sign Moton, I called BS on him  because I know Observer folks who know him--and they told me he was a joke.

So remember that when you post stuff from him-the team does not tell him stuff--he has no connections.  He has hair gel for middle aged men.  It is called Axed.

Be careful.  Person says what gets him clicks.

Preach.

No CLT based sports media person/reporter ever gets a legit scoop...

...all a bunch of Cut & Paste hacks -- don't even have an edge on the most prolific poster on this website -- which is quite the sad commentary...

Moton is the priority, then Curtis who I would love to keep but understand if the money isn’t right as there are other priorities (CB, LB, the entire Oline).  Scott showed some upside, but the rest are all replaceable JAGs from a 5 win team.  

This is a copycat league.  Teams see what the Buccs just did and it didn’t fall on deaf ears.  Expect the Rams, Seahawks, Niners, Packers to position themselves to go all in and try and challenge Tampa while the window is still open.  The Panthers are not at that stage yet as they need to find the QB of the future first.  If they acquire Watson all bets are off, but otherwise we won’t be able to compete in this arms race for the next 2 years as these teams load up.

12 hours ago, MHS831 said:

It will be interesting.  If you can get a good talent on a third round contract for four years, is he worth 10 times that amount?  I do not think he will get more than about $5-6m.  We probably lowballed him, saving the $$ for Moton.  We will see.

The round drafted doesn't matter.  His talent is now proven, he can probably get a contract north of $12 mil a year the way the receiver market has been. 

11 hours ago, Eazy-E said:

Samuel may end up being much cheaper than everyone is thinking. 

This FA WR class is pretty deep and talented. 

Samuel is like borderline top 10 in this FA class mainly because he is still only 25.

This.

Between the upcoming free agent group, draft class, and reduced salary cap I'm honestly surprised that Curtis would want to test the market.

4 minutes ago, jayflip said:

Yo why is no one talking about Long Snapper? 😂 

Is JJ worth 1M+ / year?

In my opinion, you should prolly get bargain UDFA long snappers each year and churn em out. 

7C9C1C0C-B102-42B9-9D71-FC72B4104B46.jpeg

That's peanuts in the grand scheme of things to have long-snapping be automatic. I say pay the man.

11 hours ago, MHS831 said:

The reduced cap is going to hurt some feelings in free agency.  I think there could be some cheap value at the end of free agency--we should sit back and bargain shop during week 2 of free agency.

People compare the 2021 numbers (rumored) to this year, but that is really not the issue.  The real number is what 2021 turns out to be compared to what teams expected 2021 to be.

Compared to 2020, it is expected to be a loss of about $13M or shy of 7%, which is not good, but not horrendous.  However, based on the year-over-year numbers, teams were probably expecting a number around $210M in 2021.  That roughly doubles both of those numbers.  Depending on how much of that they spent up front, you have some teams whose plans went up in flames, not just smoke.  Some teams do commit to what the project, not what they have in their hand.  That works, until it doesn't.

Given where we are in the process of of starting over, it smarts but we can adjust.  There are some teams in deep kimchi, and some of those are teams who drive up salaries during FA.

I would not want to be an agent trying to drum up big money deals for non-marquee players this year.  Their best advice might be to look for a shorter-term deal and try again when the economics recover.  I would not be surprised to see a lot of one and two year deals this FA season.  

Samuel is in the tier of players who that may apply to.