• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Per Joe Person: players Panthers would like to re-sign

TheSpecialJuan

14 hours ago, TheSpecialJuan said:

- Mentions the team will attempt to sign Taylor Moton to a long term deal but will tag him if the two sides can't agree.

- Panthers offered Curtis Samuel an extension late in the season but he elected to hit free agency instead.

- OG John Miller, DE Efe Obada (RFA), TE Chris Manhertz, LT Trent Scott (RFA), LB Julian Stanford 

- Person does not believe we will attempt to re-sign CB Rasul Douglas 

Yeah, as far as the big two, Zack pretty much told us this would be how it went down.  Sucks to lose Samuel because I really feel like he is coming into his own and may really fully blossom at his next stop.  I'm still holding onto hope that we may be able to still sign him back, but I know the odds are slim.

33 minutes ago, Sgt Schultz said:

People compare the 2021 numbers (rumored) to this year, but that is really not the issue.  The real number is what 2021 turns out to be compared to what teams expected 2021 to be.

Compared to 2020, it is expected to be a loss of about $13M or shy of 7%, which is not good, but not horrendous.  However, based on the year-over-year numbers, teams were probably expecting a number around $210M in 2021.  That roughly doubles both of those numbers.  Depending on how much of that they spent up front, you have some teams whose plans went up in flames, not just smoke.  Some teams do commit to what the project, not what they have in their hand.  That works, until it doesn't.

Given where we are in the process of of starting over, it smarts but we can adjust.  There are some teams in deep kimchi, and some of those are teams who drive up salaries during FA.

I would not want to be an agent trying to drum up big money deals for non-marquee players this year.  Their best advice might be to look for a shorter-term deal and try again when the economics recover.  I would not be surprised to see a lot of one and two year deals this FA season.  

Samuel is in the tier of players who that may apply to. 

There were some of what I consider fairly smart posters on this site last year criticizing me for warning them that you can see a pause or even a drop in the salary cap...they insisted I was an idiot, and that was a dumb way to look at extensions.

I think there are some GM's out there that had that same mentality.  It burned us once...this time we are going to fare much better.  However, not as well had we started the rebuild in earnest when everyone with an eyeball knew it was time.

• Beer 1

17 minutes ago, thefuzz said:

There were some of what I consider fairly smart posters on this site last year criticizing me for warning them that you can see a pause or even a drop in the salary cap...they insisted I was an idiot, and that was a dumb way to look at extensions.

I think there are some GM's out there that had that same mentality.  It burned us once...this time we are going to fare much better.  However, not as well had we started the rebuild in earnest when everyone with an eyeball knew it was time.

Funny, I used to hear their same argument about real estate......"it can't go down."   Until it does.

• Beer 1

7 minutes ago, Sgt Schultz said:

Funny, I used to hear their same argument about real estate......"it can't go down."   Until it does.

In the biz, have been for almost 2 decades...heard a LOT of funny things over that time about real estate.

My favorite thing about the biz?  Everyone has bought a home, or lived in one before....so they absolutely must know everything about real estate....they simply must.

I smile a lot.