• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Steve Smith HoF is he in or out?

micnificent28

Hope he gets in. I think he is a top 3 receiver all-time, if not the best. A part of me always wanted to “free” him to a team with a real OC, a real coach and a real QB. He was stuck playing John fox ball with an erratic Jake Delhomme. I loved Watching him in a panther uni but he would have made Philly a super bowl dynasty and would have done even more on any team that wasn’t so regularly inept. Even late in his career, he would have been an elite wr if he had signed with New England. 
If anyone questions his merit, just go ask the defensive backs that he faced.  Go watch that 2005 playoff game against Chicago’s highly revered defense. They had no answer and no chance.

1 hour ago, philit99 said:

The better question will be, does he go in as a Panther? Answer, Yes and Yes.

The NFL Hall of Fame does not induct players in as playing for a specific team. They are listed with all the teams they played for. 

Currently the Panthers in the Hall of Fame are Kevin Greene, Reggie White, and Bill Polian.

2 hours ago, trueblue said:

You don’t pick a team for the NFL HoF. You are in and the team you played for are listed on the summary under your bust. 

Seems to me I remember something about that, old age caught up to me. I think it stemmed from Sam Mills conversation, if he were elected would he go in as a Saint? Peppers definitely goes in first ballot as a Panther.

Edited by philit99

At some point WRs are going to have some real issues getting in....log jam is going to get really bad in about 8-10 more years.   89’s numbers won’t be nearly as impressive 10 years from now.    Lot of guys that won’t get in will soon start to catch up with guys who are in.   The guys who played their entire careers in the passing era or going to skew things.