• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Steve Smith HoF is he in or out?

micnificent28

11 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

Sucker punching 2 of your teammates does indeed make him a horrible horrible human being.  thats just the way it is whether I have met him or not doesnt matter plus all of the other crap he has done that hasnt seen the light of day.

Ok judge jury and executioner, and the millions to charity ? The turkey drives ? Yeah, speaking on someone’s character you never been in the same room with ever, you lose all credibility 

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/hof/hofm_WR.htm

This is a pretty neat resource. Puts Steve Smith kind of on the bubble but their average Hall of Fame value is skewed by Jerry Rice blowing everyone out of the water. The only eligible players not in the HoF ahead of him (and not by much) are Reggie Wayne and Torry Holt and I suspect they will both get in soon. They both probably would have been in by now but suffer from being overshadowed by another player on their team already in the hall (Isaac Bruce and Marvin Harrison) whereas Smith doesn't suffer from that problem as the bona fide #1 his career.

Also if you alternatively sort the list by approximate value, only Reggie Wayne is above him. My guess? I think he is comfortably in and should get elected by around year 3 of eligibility but first ballot seems unlikely.

As an aside, both Julius Peppers and Luke Kuechly comfortably make the thresholds, so expect them to be in, probably 1st ballot, even with Kuechly's abbreviated career.

On 2/11/2021 at 8:27 AM, mrcompletely11 said:

Do you know anything about his backstory?  Yeah I didnt think so. 

I think his backstory/history is pretty well established.  89 has legit and destructive anger management issues.  And that well documented history extends way beyond sucker punching teammates.  It is what it is. 

Now, he clearly is a lot more than his flaws.  He clearly attempts and does a lot of really good stuff too.  Like most things, it is isn't a black and white discussion in terms of who and what 89 most likely is.   Like most things and people, he is in the gray.  Flawed.  Good and bad.  

On 2/11/2021 at 1:10 AM, DaveThePanther2008 said:

When his name is announced on the nominees I hope we do a poll.  

How many triple crown receivers are there?  Calvin Johnson never won the triple crown and got in first ballot with smaller numbers.  

Smitty will be a 1st ballot HOFer.  NO DOUBT ABOUT IT!!!!!

I think in Johnsons case his myth is bigger than his numbers. He got in off his freakish measurements, the 6'5 230 nightmare that ran a 4.3 couldn't be guarded league painted him as a unicorn in the media. Yes his numbers are worse than smitty but his legend looms larger in the publics eyes.

Smith is a HOF lock. His broadcasting career will seal it. But he has 20,000 all purpose yards, triple crown winner with 14k receiving yards. He’s got the numbers.

He’s also a phenomenon at 5’9 and the eye test tells you he’s better than his contemporaries were. Who would you take in their prime over Steve Smith?  

Moss, Rice, Megatron, Julio, TO on his best day, maybe AB for certain. Then it gets debatable. 

He was pound for pound better than Reggie Wayne, Holt, Harrison, Fitzgerald, Welker, Roddy White, Andre Johnson was close. He deserves to get in for what he accomplished with his lack of support in Carolina.

Edited by OneBadCat