• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

If a QB isn’t there at 8... Slater is your pick

TheBigKat

1 hour ago, Soul Rebel said:

Last home run we hit with an OT in the first round was at #8 overall, Jordan Gross, so I'd be happy with Slater at 8. Plug him in at RT, move Moton to LT and ride the bookend tackles for the next decade.

That being said, best case scenario for us would be to get one of Watson, Fields, Wilson, Lance, or Darnold without giving up our 2nd round pick this year. Drafting an OT in R2 should present great value and would give Moton a partner to tangle with at OT.

Either way, we need an OT with one of our first two draft picks AND re-sign Moton. 

Do you think Slater has the sand to be a run blocker on the right side in the NFL?  Sorry I know the league is changing but 33 inch arms screams guard to me.  If not center.

5 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

There's no two ways to slice it, we're in a bad spot right now. We're probably on the outside looking in on the QB run at #8 while also needing to rebuild the OL. Trading to get our QB greatly impacts our ability to rebuild the OL. Using our capital to rebuild the OL basically means forgoing a QB or taking a shot in the dark at a 2nd or 3rd tier QB, be it a draft pick or a vet. We already went that vet route last year.

In the ideal world, Fields or Lance is available at #8. I'm just less and less convinced of that with each passing day with this current QB carousel going on. We have a gigantic target on our backs from teams behind us too because if one of those guys is available at #7 the Lions' phone is gonna be ringing off the hook with everyone and their brother knowing we are desperate for a QB.

In an ideal world we lose to Washington. 

Hes arm length is everything. EVERYTHING in terms of millions of dollars. If he checks in 34+, no chance hes there at 8.

Theres been legit sources stating Slater >> Sewell, non-click bait types. Im full sewell >> Slater tho, Idaf about Slater being a better RG than Sewell, LOL who cares about that?!?!

Edited by Basbear

6 hours ago, mickeye76 said:

Fixing oline in off season.  If the QB of preference is gone at 8 we trade back.  Not too far 12-18 is prime.  Then draft Alex Leatherwood.  Bama beast.  Championship pedigree.  Outland trophy winning left tackle.  Second round target is Creed Humphrey Oklahoma center who has been in the middle of a innovative offense for years.  Top center.  If Creed gets swiped earlier than our second round pick (which is very likely) Go defense.  Later in draft we keep an eye on guys like Trey Smith, Robert Jones, Adrian Ealy, Jackson Carman etc.  Big swing tackles that could play a road grading right guard too.  In free agency I have three targets. 

1.  Pat Elflein - third rounder out Ohio State.  Started 44 games at all three interior positions.  So Jack of all trades but could start at Center or left guard.

2.  Brian Winters - third round out of Kent State.  Played on Jets for years poor guy.  But solid veteran to compete with a rookie right guard.

3. Sam Tevi - late round pick by chargers but despite that has started lots on the left side.  Gritty competitor with a chip on his shoulder.  Ideal to push Little and Leatherwood.  

If we miss out on Creed I would just wait yet another year for center.  Not a fan of many of the other centers.  

Projected lineup.

LT - Leatherwood, Levi, Little

LG - Daley, Elflien

C - Paradis, Elflien

RG - Rookie, Winters

RT - Moton, Daley,

Love that idea! Trade back at least once and add 3rd with each trade. Radunz in the 2nd if other OTs gone. Decent IOLs available in 3-5 ( (Moore, Meinerz) can add LB Cox, Decent CB then too

• Pie 1

21 minutes ago, Basbear said:

Hes arm length is everything. EVERYTHING in terms of millions of dollars. If he checks in 34+, no chance hes there at 8.

Theres been legit sources stating Slater >> Sewell, non-click bait types. Im full sewell >> Slater tho, Idaf about Slater being a better RG than Sewell, LOL who cares about that?!?!

Calm down Marty. One of the reasons we got duped by Little was his 35 1/4" arms.

• Pie 1
  • Flames 1

3 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Calm down Marty. One of the reasons we got duped by Little was his 35 1/4" arms.

Im a pure sucker for long arms, 100%.  Its almost if Slater is like 32', Id take him completely off the board. Other teams feel the same, CBs is another. Frittereer came form a team that started that trend for CBs, it does make their 40 time less important since you cover more surface area. Im that way about every spot, including punter! Long arms >>>>> short arms. Its the Boxing in me...

Here is the tape vs Ohio St. He looked good pass blocking but was beat a few times at the end. Once the RB helped and the other the DE batted it down. He did not look good run blocking. Got called for holding, a few times his guy was making tackles at the line of scrimmage, a few times just whiffing on trying to block someone. 

6 hours ago, bythenbrs said:

You already know the answer.  Say it with me, 'Build the offensive line.'  Here's another phrase to embrace; say it with me now, 'If we build it, he (quality future FA QB) will come."

My work here is now complete...

That's the thing though...how many franchise QBs ever actually hit FA?