• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Todd McShay mocks us to trade up with Miami to get Trey Lance

electro's horse

TRADE: Carolina moves up the board
OK, my guy Mel Kiper Jr. waived the no-trade clause on our mocks, so let's have at it. The Panthers give the Dolphins a call in this scenario, seeing a chance to jump the line to get a quarterback at No. 3. Miami originally acquired this pick via an August 2019 trade with the Texans, but now hand over the selection to Carolina in exchange for the No. 8 pick, the Panthers' second-rounder (No. 39) and a 2022 first-rounder. It'd be a great haul for the Dolphins, who just barely missed the playoffs this season and can now build even further around QB Tua Tagovailoa. But it's also a good price for the Panthers, who need their QB of the future.

3. Carolina Panthers (via mock trade with MIA through HOU)
Trey Lance, QB, North Dakota State

Eight of the Panthers' 11 losses were one-score games, running back Christian McCaffrey missed most of the season and the defense was an improved unit this year. But Carolina needs a QB it can build around. Teddy Bridgewater is under contract for two more years -- with a potential out after the 2021 campaign -- and can serve as a bridge, but his 15-to-11 TD-INT ratio in 2020 left a lot to be desired.

The quarterback-to-Carolina rhetoric isn't new, but some might be surprised to see Lance as the pick, rather than Ohio State's Justin Fields. They both possess strong arms, they both are highly competitive, they both are sturdy in the pocket and can pick up chunks when they decide to tuck it and run and they both can hit the deep ball. But in going back to the tape, I think Lance goes through his progressions a little quicker than Fields, who gets stuck on his primary read too often. It's tight, but I think Lance has an edge right now.

• Pie 3

I dont understand why we care about mock drafts enough to discuss them. I never will understand it so I might as well get over it. Lance was my #2 qb going into the season behind Lawrence. Would not be mad at all to get him. No way we would need to trade all the way up to 3 though. Unless they know for sure he is their guy and can't risk not getting him. 

• Beer 2

3 minutes ago, NAS said:

Anyone that thinks Lance will be there at #8 is delusional.  He has the most upside of any QB outside of Lawrence.  We'll need to at least trade up to #5.  

I'm not absolutely convinced that Lance is worth the number eight.

I've seen some fans projecting an image of the next Cam Newton on to him that I don't think is really there.

• Pie 3
  • Flames 1

2 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

I'm not absolutely convinced that Lance is worth the number eight.

I've seen some fans projecting an image of the next Cam Newton on to him that I don't think is really there.

The market dictates what he's worth.  There's going to be a feeding frenzy on QBs in this draft and sometimes you just need to overpay to get your man.  He is #2 on my list after Lawrence, but it all depends on what Rhule and Fit think. 

Edited by NAS
  • Pie 2