• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Don't reach

Zod

7 hours ago, Zod said:

Below is a comprehensive list of QBs drafted in the top 5 that were traded up for:

Sam Darnold
Mitchell Trubisky
Carson Wentz
Jared Goff
Robert Griffin III
Mark Sanchez
Michael Vick
Ryan Leaf
Jeff George
Steve Bartkowski

Don't reach!

Josh Allen = the exception to the rule

Which also led to the Chiefs trading up for Mahomes

https://fox4kc.com/sports/chiefs/the-trade-remembering-the-chiefs-bills-draft-swap-that-brought-mahomes-to-kansas-city/

Edited by blueandblackattack
mahomey

7 hours ago, Cary Kollins said:

Meh, Chiefs traded way up to get their guy a couple years back and it worked out. If you think he’s your guy, do what it takes to get him.

Agreed. And it’s such a small sample size that it really doesn’t say much at all about what could happen if we do trade up to get a QB this year. If the staff and FO is completely convinced that one of these QBs is our guy and he won’t make it to 8 then by all means, trade up. But don’t trade up out of desperation just to get any QB high this year, I think that is where we could make a huge mistake... 

• Pie 1

IMO I would try to trade for Gardner Minshew, try to do something with Bridgewater (like trade him for picks or a player that plays a different position), keep PJ Walker as a backup, release Will Grier, and then try to draft Kellen Mond in like the 3rd round (Coach Rhule sounds to be high on him after coaching him in the senior bowl).

21 hours ago, Tbe said:

The odds of us finding a franchise QB anytime in the next 5 years is not good.

We still have to try though.

Take your best shot but don’t trade future assets. We’ll need them to take a shot at the next QB.

This I can agree with.  Reaching for a player and giving up a tremendous amount isn't worth it.  Trading up a couple of slots is one thing, but I consider reaching as more than 10.  It gets expensive.

29 minutes ago, razorwolf said:

IMO I would try to trade for Gardner Minshew, try to do something with Bridgewater (like trade him for picks or a player that plays a different position), keep PJ Walker as a backup, release Will Grier, and then try to draft Kellen Mond in like the 3rd round (Coach Rhule sounds to be high on him after coaching him in the senior bowl).

You raise an interesting point about drafting Mond (or another guy for that matter) after the 2nd round. A lot of people feel that you can only find a "franchise guy" in the first two rounds. I disagree. While the guys drafted higher have a greater chance of success, we do have examples of guys who have become solid starters in the league in rounds 3 thru 5. Tom Brady was a 6th round pick. Tony Romo and Kurt Warner were UNDRAFTED and both guys had successful NFL careers.

I think those later round guys may be less talented upon entering the NFL. But, here's the question we all need to ask. Are coaches capable of grooming the players drafted later into quality starters? Hidden gems are found in every round in the drafted and even among the undrafted players. I think in some years you can find some QB's there is well. The one thing you can't really see on film is the willingness to accept good coaching and the will to succeed. I think some potential starters been written off by teams b/c of their draft slot and and never got a real opportunity to grow into a solid QB.

On 2/11/2021 at 10:35 AM, stbugs said:

Wouldn’t Elway and Eli be here too? I know the trades happened after they were picked but in essence within an hour/six days the top pick was traded for players/draft picks/drafted players.

I guess our best hope is that Trevor forces a trade right after being picked as that’s a 100% guaranteed multiple SB winning HOF/maybe HOF QB.

Does anyone have Trevor’s agent’s cell?

Trade up for Fields. Trevor forces a trade to CAR to stay on the east coast (and out of NYC). Swap QBs and throw in next year’s first. Could happen.....

• Beer 1

1 hour ago, SCO96 said:

You raise an interesting point about drafting Mond (or another guy for that matter) after the 2nd round. A lot of people feel that you can only find a "franchise guy" in the first two rounds. I disagree. While the guys drafted higher have a greater chance of success, we do have examples of guys who have become solid starters in the league in rounds 3 thru 5. Tom Brady was a 6th round pick. Tony Romo and Kurt Warner were UNDRAFTED and both guys had successful NFL careers.

I think those later round guys may be less talented upon entering the NFL. But, here's the question we all need to ask. Are coaches capable of grooming the players drafted later into quality starters? Hidden gems are found in every round in the drafted and even among the undrafted players. I think in some years you can find some QB's there is well. The one thing you can't really see on film is the willingness to accept good coaching and the will to succeed. I think some potential starters been written off by teams b/c of their draft slot and and never got a real opportunity to grow into a solid QB.

It's easy to name the outliers because they are precisely that. If you look at the past 15-20 years of non-1st round QB's, the stats are not kind. And they get far less kind as the rounds go on. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1