• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Don't reach

Zod

On 2/11/2021 at 10:38 AM, Cary Kollins said:

Meh, Chiefs traded way up to get their guy a couple years back and it worked out. If you think he’s your guy, do what it takes to get him.

Mahomes as a prospect was basically what Trey Lance is this year. The difference maker for him was being drafted by the greatest QB coach in NFL history, getting to sit for a year, and being surrounded by elite level skill position players. 

• Pie 1

On 2/11/2021 at 4:06 PM, stbugs said:

Same with Houston and Watson, except for the fact that the rest of the team and coaches/GM didn’t work out. Top 5 was used to make sure Watson and Mahomes weren’t on the list. Heck, the Bills traded up for Allen but again putting top 5 takes that one out. Since Manning and Elway were post actual draft, even if just an hour after, those two are out as well. It’s easy to create a small circle so that it fits the narrative.

That said, I’m really not interested in trading the farm to get to where we would have been had WFT not laid a huge egg just for us. Let’s see why happens and hope a guy we like drops to 8. The “next 3” are all guys you could really like or think they have huge flaws.

I actually think that the top 5 limit makes it more relevant for our situation since most of us seem to think that we would need to trade into the top 5 to guarantee one of the top 4 QB's. I know there was at least one thread devoted to that topic.

I also get that the poster is tweaking the data to support his cause, it just so happens that it fits our situation perfectly.

On 2/11/2021 at 10:30 AM, Zod said:

Below is a comprehensive list of QBs drafted in the top 5 that were traded up for:

Sam Darnold
Mitchell Trubisky
Carson Wentz
Jared Goff
Robert Griffin III
Mark Sanchez
Michael Vick
Ryan Leaf
Jeff George
Steve Bartkowski

Don't reach!

This why I lol'ed when some mocks have us trading up for, not Wilson, not Lance, but for Fields.  He's got the biggest bust potential of the 3, IMO. 

Edited by 45catfan

On 2/12/2021 at 10:01 PM, MHS831 said:

Stay in your lane....Know your limitations....multi-tasking is not always a good thing....sometimes, what seems like a good idea can backfire....take it from me.

release GIF

I'm just jealous thinking about that level of relief. A good long piss, a sneeze, and an epic fart? All at the same time. That's living right there.

• Pie 1

I am very worried about trading up, or for any other QB.  The market is nuts, multiple 1sts, 2nds, etc.  You're giving up three years of prime draft capital HOPING that this guy can change your franchise's direction.  As we've seen, no QB is ever a given savior. 

At this point, I'd rather just take the BPA, most solid blue chip player, and look for other QBs later in the draft.

• Pie 3
  • Beer 2

It really depends on the coaching staff and of course the right scouting. Trading up for Mahomes was a home run. Trading up for some others was a disaster.

Im sure some of the same teams that traded up for disasters would have turned Mahomes into a disaster also.

Atlanta drafting Brett Favre was a disaster. Mike Holmgren understood him and was able to adjust his WCO schemes to Favres strengths and the rest is a Golden history.

it’s the talent for sure, but I put it much more on the talent of the coaching staff.