• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Alternate Trade Up Scenario

Mr. Scot

1 hour ago, MHS831 said:

But before 2020, there were 2 elite QBs at this time of year--Trevor and Fields.  Lance was a buzz because he had a good season on the FCS level, and Wilson was not on the table. People were projecting Jamie Newman in the first... I want to agree with you, but I see up to 34 QBs being early first rounders in 2022.  I know they are not equal now, but a season changes a lot.

Either way, it is a gamble.

I want Minshew, trade back, add a first rounder, then you have some trade/draft capital if needed.  There is no answer-just educated guesses.

I can get on board with this. Take a gamble on Minshew, if it works out then icing on the cake. If it doesn't, then you are in position next year, and still have Minshew as a backup which is better than the current situation. 

Trade back from 8, grab another pick this year and a 2022 pick. I disagree with the OP for next year. If you combined all of 2021 and 2022 QB's into one group, I have them ranked Lawrence, Rattler, Howell, Wilson, Fields, Lance. There will also be a QB or two to come forward next year just like Wilson this year, and like Burrow last year. 

Edited by TheProcess
  • Pie 1

1 hour ago, thefuzz said:

Please don't mortgage the future on a QB not named Trevor.

Fields is a really good and rare prospect. If he doesn’t go 2nd overall there will be teams kicking themselves for passing him up or not trading up for him. I don’t want to give up a ton either and prefer we try to get Lance at 8, but would not be upset with giving up future draft capital to get Fields. Trading up for Wilson, on the other hand, would be disappointing (though I’ll ultimately be happy with any promising QB we may acquire this offseason).

• Beer 1

Just now, t96 said:

Fields is a really good and rare prospect. If he doesn’t go 2nd overall there will be teams kicking themselves for passing him up or not trading up for him. I don’t want to give up a ton either and prefer we try to get Lance at 8, but would not be upset with giving up future draft capital to get Fields. Trading up for Wilson, on the other hand, would be disappointing (though I’ll ultimately be happy with any promising QB we may acquire this offseason).

I think most of Fields warts are relatively easily fixed. They are just going to need some coaching and experience. 

I don't really understand why everyone was so down on him over the course of the season. 

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, thefuzz said:

If we were sitting there at 2 or 3, I would feel more comfortable about grabbing whichever one Fitt and Matt think is the best choice.

Using 3 or 4 picks to grab one of these guys, and still possibly drafting in the top 10 next year is just not something I'm really interested in.

None of these guys are clean prospects.

Not to mention that someone else would have our top 10 pick.

• Pie 1

16 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

I think most of Fields warts are relatively easily fixed. They are just going to need some coaching and experience. 

I don't really understand why everyone was so down on him over the course of the season. 

Over the course of the season, I don't know that a lot of people were.

Poor performances in big games like Northwestern and Alabama made people nervous though, and it's reasonable that they would.

2 hours ago, DeAngelo Beason said:

Have you seen the QBS coming up in 2022?  We don't have a choice BUT to mortgage the future.  This team is going to be middling indefinitely if we don't get a quality signal caller.

Are they bad? I know Howell, Rattler, and Daniels off the top of my head. Purdy and Penix showed flashes. Not to mention several schools didn’t get to play many games this year so there should be many new faces.