• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Alternate Trade Up Scenario

Mr. Scot

One of my preferences in trading for an established QB vs a rookie is the value of the picks we’d be giving up is greater for a rookie vs a vet. Conceivably with a rookie next year we could easily be in the top 10. With a vet I think we’re in the middle, maybe even back third of the draft. 

• Pie 3
  • Beer 1

9 minutes ago, thefuzz said:

Please don't mortgage the future on a QB not named Trevor.

Have you seen the QBS coming up in 2022?  We don't have a choice BUT to mortgage the future.  This team is going to be middling indefinitely if we don't get a quality signal caller.

History hasn't been kind to teams that have traded up to grab a QB.  I am completely willing to acknowledge this fact.  I'm also willing to state that only Lawrence and Wilson are worth trading up for.  All that being said, we are doomed to mediocrity if we kick the tires on a mediocre free agent or later round selection, unless we just get lucky and land a diamond in the rough.

Only way I trade the 8th pick and next year's first is if it's a trade that gets us Deshaun Watson, and we know that trade probably isn't going to happen.

At this point I say just stay at #8 and if any of the top 4 QBs aren't there, just take the best player available or try to trade back.  Select a QB in the 3rd-5th rounds and roll with that guy as your starter (Jamie Newman/Kyle Trask), you already know what you're getting with Teddy, let the rook go out there and let's see what their potential is.  If he plays the same as or better than Teddy, great...a cheaper better option.

13 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

I'll grant I could change my opinion between now and The Draft, but right now the thought of trading up for any of the three potential targets everybody's talking about scares the hell out of me.

They all have concerns that make me very nervous.

If we were sitting there at 2 or 3, I would feel more comfortable about grabbing whichever one Fitt and Matt think is the best choice.

Using 3 or 4 picks to grab one of these guys, and still possibly drafting in the top 10 next year is just not something I'm really interested in.

None of these guys are clean prospects.

• Beer 2

12 minutes ago, DeAngelo Beason said:

Have you seen the QBS coming up in 2022?  We don't have a choice BUT to mortgage the future.  This team is going to be middling indefinitely if we don't get a quality signal caller.

We've been middling for the last 25 years.

I sincerely hope you were not on board with Hurney 2.0, Keeping Ron, Bringing in Teddy, etc...if you are now talking about rushing things?

This team should have done it correctly, Tepper had no idea how to do that, and now we find ourselves in dire straights.  In this instance, I'd rather do it right, rather than right now.

We missed our shot, now we will have to wait.

31 minutes ago, DeAngelo Beason said:

But before 2020, there were 2 elite QBs at this time of year--Trevor and Fields.  Lance was a buzz because he had a good season on the FCS level, and Wilson was not on the table. People were projecting Jamie Newman in the first... I want to agree with you, but I see up to 34 QBs being early first rounders in 2022.  I know they are not equal now, but a season changes a lot.

Either way, it is a gamble.

I want Minshew, trade back, add a first rounder, then you have some trade/draft capital if needed.  There is no answer-just educated guesses.

Edited by MHS831
  • Pie 1

If the Panthers believe that a QB has the tools to be a franchise QB then you pull the trigger on the trade, which is going to be expensive because many teams are in the QB market. It may mean a bit more reliance on free agency during the next two years. There are other ways besides the draft to infuse a roster with talent.

This idea that you are going to draft a franchise QB  later in round 1 or in later rounds is likely fool's gold. There is clearly a great need for QBs in this league and a potential franchise QB is unlikely to slip past the early picks in Round 1. It is also highly unlikely that the Panthers will be drafting  higher in Round 1 next year. They will likely win more games next season and their trend toward mediocrity and an occasional playoff appearance will continue.

To truly be competitive for Super Bowls today you need that franchise QB and you are kidding yourselves if you think otherwise. Furthermore, even franchise QBs take time (years) to develop.