• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

report: panthers called about darnold

PhillyB

1 minute ago, Mr. Scot said:

No, but there's a reasonable expectation that the Texans could want an established quarterback as part of any trade package.

That's been the engine behind some of the speculation about the Texans and Carson Wentz.

Honestly, it seems like it's be way easier to sell a promising talented rookie over a trash veteran. Both to a staff/front office and fanbase.

32 minutes ago, OldhamA said:

I wouldn't even offer them a half eaten ham sandwich for Goff.

Hell yeah man me neither, I had one of those for lunch.  It wasn’t half eaten, though.  Fully eaten. So damned good.  

I really don’t want Darnold.  If that’s how the cards play out, so be it.  He has talent but it seems like he has the same negatives he did in college and hasn’t improved.  Is Rhule the guy to do it?  Idk.  Gase is a terrible head coach and really could’ve just been holding him down.  If he went to a different coach initially he could be a decent starter.  Unfortunately, I think he’s damaged goods at this point.

11 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Honestly, it seems like it's be way easier to sell a promising talented rookie over a trash veteran. Both to a staff/front office and fanbase.

Ryan Tannehill did a lot to help with that.

I feel fairly certain that if Darnold does wind up traded, Tannehill's name will be mentioned by the team that trades for him.

• Beer 1

43 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

How do you feel about running for your life every play? Also, what are your thoughts on checking down?

I played QB on our JV team so, obviously I’m qualified.  I’ll play for half of Linville’s rate.  I love running for my life on every play.  [Checks notes]. What is a check down?

• Beer 1

33 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

I will say this, as fans we need to get past the overreacting about reported interest in X player. 

The deal we offered for Stafford was actually a very, very good deal. We jettisoned Teddy's salary and gave up a 1st and 5th. That was an extremely reasonable trade.

Let's not assume that we are out there making Rams type offers for every player. Battered Fan Syndrome is really gonna be tough to get rid of after Hurney.

Focusing on the big picture would probably help.

One of the big facepalms I always used to have when people were talking about Hurney was folks saying "but he drafted this great player" or "he made that great trade", after which I'd say "Yes but we still didn't win jack so what difference does it make?"

I've seen teams have offseasons that looked like refried monkey sh-t, yet somehow they were better when they hit the field.

Likewise, I've seen teams make offseason moves that made people drool, only to turn around and miss the playoffs by a mile.

They're going to make questionable moves, miss on draft picks, fail to resign free agents and overpay others. I can live with that.

It's how we look at the end of the season that matters.

• Beer 2

5 minutes ago, bythenbrs said:

I played QB on our JV team so, obviously I’m qualified.  I’ll play for half of Linville’s rate.  I love running for my life on every play.  [Checks notes]. What is a check down?

I know I'm nowhere near as fast as I used to be when I was young, but if I were being chased by a 300 pound defensive lineman, you might be surprised how fast I could go.

• Beer 1

A 23 year old QB in a crappy situation, 2 HCs and 2 OCs in 3 years, after being drafted #3 overall.

Sounds like from an asset standpoint, Darnold could be the right blend of losing draft picks, without gutting the franchise and still having capital left to move forward with drafting talent this year, and in 2022.

• Pie 1

Did anyone actually read the original article? If so, where does it state that the Panthers called about Darnold? All I'm seeing is old news that they called about Stafford. Stifled by the Jets' incompetence or not, I'm not convinced he's worth the nearly 5 mil/ left on his contract, much less a pick, or picks and/or a player swap.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/30853025/sources-multiple-teams-reached-new-york-jets-sam-darnold

4 minutes ago, xav8tor said:

Did anyone actually read the original article? If so, where does it state that the Panthers called about Darnold? All I'm seeing is old news that they called about Stafford. Stifled by the Jets' incompetence or not, I'm not convinced he's worth the nearly 5 mil/ left on his contract, much less a pick, or picks and/or a player swap.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/30853025/sources-multiple-teams-reached-new-york-jets-sam-darnold

That's not the source for the story.

This is:

I'd agree it's a little vague, but given what we know it's not really that hard to believe they've at least made an initial inquiry.