• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers start making cuts

TheSpecialJuan

8 hours ago, WarPanthers89 said:

just a reminder dead cap is just over 11 million. We either eat it this year and have 9.8 million savings, or spread over 2 years and have 14.5 million in savings this year. 😄

29C185A6-025E-4352-BFA4-3C9785503676.jpeg

The problem with designating a guy a post June 1st cut is that money does not come off the team cap until after June 1st.  So it really does not help you in free agency this year.  It gives you a lot more flexability knowing that June 2nd you get an extra 10, 12 14 million in cap room so you can go all the up to the cap and still have room to sign rookies and a couple of free agents still left.  But most of the guys that are available then are JAG and not really worth much more that the min.

20 minutes ago, bababoey said:

The problem with designating a guy a post June 1st cut is that money does not come off the team cap until after June 1st.  So it really does not help you in free agency this year.  It gives you a lot more flexability knowing that June 2nd you get an extra 10, 12 14 million in cap room so you can go all the up to the cap and still have room to sign rookies and a couple of free agents still left.  But most of the guys that are available then are JAG and not really worth much more that the min.

Agree. That why I was saying I’d rather cut before and also eat the dead cap this year rather than spreading across two years 

1 hour ago, TheSpecialJuan said:

Next up..

- DT Kawann Short   (post June1st) 

Cap savings: $14,500,000

Dead money: $6,339,000

- DE Stephen Weatherly

Cap savings: $5,950,000

Dead money: $2,000,000

- S Juston Burris

Cap savings: $3,900,000

Dead money: $1,050,000

- P Michael Palardy

Cap savings: $2,020,000

Dead money: $500,000

If we add Paradis/Grier or Walker how much would our total cap space be, in terms of amount of money we have to spend?

Doesnt matter if you take in account only the top 51 will count for cap space. It is a minor surprise about Jamerson signed a two extension this year and they protected him about each week form being signed by other teams. 

Its like the agents asked for a release on both, cause neither counts against the 51st cap. If injuries hit, they would have been nice to have as insurance. 

On 2/12/2021 at 10:13 PM, kungfoodude said:

He'll almost certainly be designated one of our two post June-1st cuts.

I may need a throat punch, cause part of me thinks theres a chance at a KK return...Hes got close to 20 milion in base salary for 2021. Change that into a signing bonus and add 4 years with minimum salary. KK would return for 6 million cap number in 2021. Panthers do need a running mate for Brown. With injuries and such, 6 million per seems fair. 0% chance happening, could cut him after 2 years with little issues tho. I may also need a baseball bat to the head too....

• Pie 1