• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Canes trade Dzingel, acquire Cedric Paquette & Alex Galchenyuk

CanesFanStan

Had to be Ryan's salary at $3.375M; and Paquette ($1.65M) and Galchenyuk ($1.05M) are both about a year younger. Nonetheless, Ryan has certainly been more productive throughout his career than either Paq or Alex. I gotta believe they're renting these guys knowing they couldn't keep Dzingel at the end of the season. Besides, Ryan's career has been with Ottawa, except for his tour here. 

Couple thing to consider- maybe McCormick is done for the year and, at age 28, he might not be back with the team. Also look at the contracts of Drew Shore and Joakim Ryan and their respective ages. 

Interesting move, to say the least. Both guys are rentals and will be gone after the season unless one of them just tears it up the remainder of the season.

• Pie 4

55 minutes ago, Anybodyhome said:

Had to be Ryan's salary at $3.375M; and Paquette ($1.65M) and Galchenyuk ($1.05M) are both about a year younger. Nonetheless, Ryan has certainly been more productive throughout his career than either Paq or Alex. I gotta believe they're renting these guys knowing they couldn't keep Dzingel at the end of the season. Besides, Ryan's career has been with Ottawa, except for his tour here. 

Couple thing to consider- maybe McCormick is done for the year and, at age 28, he might not be back with the team. Also look at the contracts of Drew Shore and Joakim Ryan and their respective ages. 

Interesting move, to say the least. Both guys are rentals and will be gone after the season unless one of them just tears it up the remainder of the season.

The salary cap relief was more than likely the reason behind it. We had to play shorthanded because we were maxed out and didn't want to put guys on LTIR in order to sign replacements.

I like Dzingel, but kinda seems like a win for both sides. Ryan is definitely the better player. But, most of the beat writers think Paquette is a better fit in our top 9. Ottawa gets their boy back, we get some cap flexibility and (hopefully) upgrade the chemistry on our top 3 lines.

• Pie 1

Dzingel just didn’t fit in well here at all. We’d have been no worse off if he were a healthy scratch every night (and he was a fair amount last year). We don’t save much salary but I’m sure that was a part of it.

Paquette was a great 4th line C for Tampa for years but has been terrible this year - whether that’s just Ottawa or him declining, I don’t know. But he really doesn’t have any potential. His “potential” is just a 4th line C upgrade who can bring a bit more toughness to the lineup (which I think is the main reason for the move). Paquette definitely should not be in the top 9 at any point, but I do like him as depth more than Dzingel.

Galchenyuk is pretty worthless and I doubt he plays much if at all here. He has theoretical upside as a skill player, but he’s been even worse than Dzingel the last couple years and doesn’t offer anything else except a bit of skill — in a Rod Brind’Amour team, that is a recipe for disaster (see Dzingel). 

Decent move but unlikely to really have much of an impact at all. Certainly doesn’t hurt us. We didn’t give up anything of real value and saved a bit of money, so if that’s all it was too then so be it.

• Pie 2

2 hours ago, zacka77ack said:

You beat me! I had strapped on my boots to come over here and post this.

Anyway, I’m curious to see if we get more information about the cause/reason for moving Dzingel.

gave you some pie for your trouble! I like the trade so far - a little cap space and a true, gritty fourth line center who can make the team deeper. Having won a cup helps too! 

• Pie 2

1 hour ago, t96 said:

Dzingel just didn’t fit in well here at all. We’d have been no worse off if he were a healthy scratch every night (and he was a fair amount last year). We don’t save much salary but I’m sure that was a part of it.

Paquette was a great 4th line C for Tampa for years but has been terrible this year - whether that’s just Ottawa or him declining, I don’t know. But he really doesn’t have any potential. His “potential” is just a 4th line C upgrade who can bring a bit more toughness to the lineup (which I think is the main reason for the move). Paquette definitely should not be in the top 9 at any point, but I do like him as depth more than Dzingel.

Galchenyuk is pretty worthless and I doubt he plays much if at all here. He has theoretical upside as a skill player, but he’s been even worse than Dzingel the last couple years and doesn’t offer anything else except a bit of skill — in a Rod Brind’Amour team, that is a recipe for disaster (see Dzingel). 

Decent move but unlikely to really have much of an impact at all. Certainly doesn’t hurt us. We didn’t give up anything of real value and saved a bit of money, so if that’s all it was too then so be it.

Nice write up. Interested why we grabbed two centers when we already have Geekie in the groove for the fourth line.

• Pie 1

Just now, Harbingers said:

Nice write up. Interested why we grabbed two centers when we already have Geekie in the groove for the fourth line.

Geekie hasnt been playing well, we are probably interested to see what these guys can do instead of him. Also expect us to try playing Galchenyuk on the wing.

• Pie 2

This was a good trade for us as all guys are expiring contracts.  Paquette strengthens us going down the middle of the ice.  I like Larentz but he has been inconsistent, and I thought Geekie played well last year but has disappeared this year.  This trade gives us depth that let's us atone for injury.

Also one or both guys could be moved before the deadline if the coaches don't like what they're looking at.  If you're a bad team these expiring contracts are incredibly valuable. It's harder for bad teams to get better when there is a salary cap decrease which amplifies the value of a bad team trading for expiring contracts for team building. Obviously this frees up cap in the off season. If you're a good team these expiring contracts allow you the ability to trade for a guy that has term but is stuck on a bad team.  Look at the Trocheck trade.  

Edited by TheMaulClaw
  • Pie 1