• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Backup QB philosophy

Mr. Scot

1 hour ago, Mr. Scot said:

Heinicke? Probably not.

I'd say this though: In a given offseason, I might hear myself saying "wow, they got him for cheap"...or I might not.

On the flipside, the exclamation "holy sh-t, they paid that for him?'" probably gets used up to a half dozen times on an annual basis.

(pretty frequently on the first day of free agency)

Unless he ends up starting for them next season(and being healthy), it is not a good deal. 

7 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

Excluding developmental guys that teams are trying to train for the future, most organizations look at the backup quarterback one of two ways:

A) We want him to be as good as possible just in case our starter suffers a big injury and he needs to play several games

B) If our starter gets hurt, we're screwed anyway so let's just get somebody cheap

Which of these options do you prefer?

Assuming the team is trying to win and not tank then option A for me.

• A backup QB in general isn't that expensive in comparison to a starter ($8M gets you in the top 3)
  • QBs can be a good currency, almost as good as draft picks (see Eagles)

16 hours ago, ECHornet said:

Me? Na, not worked up a bit, my man. Just having fun. You’ll have to pardon me if posters who insist my take is dumb and from a dipshit don’t immediately gain my respect. Especially when the same poster can’t decide in two consecutive posts what he thinks the QB we're discussing is worth, yet is sure my take is horrible. 

I stand by my statement that locking Trubisky up over the next 5 years for backup QB money would be a positive for the Panthers. 

Some posters don’t state an opinion, but find it entertaining to attack those who do. 

• Pie 1

On 2/13/2021 at 5:35 PM, OldhamA said:

I'd absolutely always carry three QBs - it's the most important position in sports.

You have your starter, a backup who can step in should the starter go down and a developmental guy.

That backup would usually be a vet, but could be the aforementioned developmental guy that's.... well, developed. You still churn that third spot every other year with a Draft pick to find the next guy (at either starter or backup).

Perfectly said and I agree.

Pat Kirwan likes to say "can the backup go 2-2 over a 4 game stretch as the starter?"  Thats the target range, as teams kind of figure out what you are doing with a guy after 4 games of film.  The reason a guy is a backup and not a starter is because he can't sustain it for more than that.

So my take is a guy who has been around for at least a few years who can help the starter get ready each week who is good enough to go 2-2 if he had to play 4 straight games.

• Pie 2

On 2/13/2021 at 7:11 PM, ECHornet said:

You honestly think having Trubisky on our team for $5 mil per would be dumb? I guess your prefer Walker or Grier to a QB who may still be capable of being a starter in the league? Tells me all I need to know about your capacity to analyze our QB situation, but out of curiosity, what’s your backup QB plan?

giphy.gif

• Poo 1