• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Guess what this guy is officially off the books!

BurnNChinn

7 hours ago, stbugs said:

The funniest part is that if he was the worst signing, it truly shows you how bad Marty really was cap wise. Kalil was $25M total. Teddy got $33M guaranteed.

At least Bridgewater didn’t play the game like it was flag football. He was actually serviceable.

• Pie 2
  • Flames 1

5 minutes ago, DeAngelo Beason said:

I think people kind of forget the situation with Kalil.  As trash as he was, wasn't he like the ONLY guy on the market?  I could be wrong but I don't think we really missed out on someone better (who we had a chance of signing anyway)

Whitworth was available but aging and didn't want to come here anyway. 

Still, could have had him if we tried hard enough... Maybe?

• Beer 2

34 minutes ago, stbugs said:

Maybe, although 15 TDs and awful with the game on the line isn’t good, but my example was about money. Paying someone $25M isn’t some awful top 5 disaster deals that hamstrung our cap for years. He wasn’t good but his contract wasn’t horrific in any way. It was a bad signing but we threw away more than 3 times that this off-season for 5-11. We spent $26M on Short, Weatherly, Apple and Roberts for far less production than we got out of Kalil.

It’s tiring to hear how bad Kalil’s contract was as if it’s the worst decision(s) we ever made even though just the 2020 off-season dwarfs it and at least we got to the playoffs when Kalil started so we had something to root for outside of draft positioning in the last month.

Short, Weatherly and Apple were more effective than Matt Kalil. Actually Apple was way more effective because he didn't hurt us every game he played. 

And to your point about cost. Matt Kalil cost us $1.52 mil/game played in his Panthers career. Short has cost us $713,000/game played, Weatherly has cost us $728,000/game played, and Teddy Bridgewater has cost us $1.6 mil/game played. 

Kalil's contract was horrific. It was unbelievably horrific. He wasn't even remotely capable of being an NFL starter and he was signed to a $55.5 mil deal. That is INSANE. How bad was he? Even after landing a 1 year, $7.5 mil deal with Texans, he has never played an NFL game since he left here. That is how bad he was.

Teddy's contract is awful, but we can also cut bait from him this offseason and be rid of his contract. If we cut him prior to June 1st, the dead cap will be massive but we also won't owe him the $10 mil in guaranteed salary(unless it is guaranteed for more than injury which would be a rarity) for 2021. So we can walk with no more actual money going to Teddy Bridgewater. Basically the same situation as Kalil.

The biggest difference is that Teddy will continue to make money in the NFL afterwards and likely be an effective backup for many years. Matt Kalil had to retire after 7 years in the NFL. Partly due to injuries but mainly due to being terrible.

• Pie 4
  • Beer 1

10 minutes ago, Ted Ginn Jr.'s Hands said:

I found it funny that the Texans witnessed what a dumpster fire he was here and felt the need to give him a $7.5M contract.  After that they pretty much gave up on him and traded for Tunsil.  

Just another in a long line of idiotic moves by Bill O'Brien. 

• Beer 1

Just now, stbugs said:

Oh c’mon. I remember tweets in here showing how Kalil improved. Again, not my point but saying paying $26M including Roberts (more than Kalil) for 20 tackles, no sacks, no INTs, no FR/FF and 31 offensive yards from what was supposed to be our starting DT, DE and CB plus WR4 is ludicrous. Kalil wasn’t good at all, but heck we still made the playoffs and he gave up 1 sack (only 1 QB hit) on @ 50 pass plays and Cam threw for 349 with no WRs. I’ll take a Kalil filled 2017 over 2020 any day.

We paid Short $26M+ for 5 tackles and no other stats the past two years.

I didn't need Twatter to show me how bad Kalil was. I just had to watch actual Panther games. 

If you'd take Kalil again, I question how much you are actually a Panthers fan. 

• Beer 1
  • Flames 1