• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Washington bringing in Polian

Mr. Scot

2 minutes ago, Catsfan69 said:

We should have never let Bill get away.

I'm not that big a fan.

Richardson's original plan was to go after Joe Gibbs. He was gonna offer Gibbs the same kind of role Coughlin had with the Jags. I'll forever wonder what the Panthers history would have been like if Gibbs had said yes.

As to Polian, his first target for a head coach was Rich Kotite. Thankful that didn't work out.

31 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

I'm not that big a fan.

Richardson's original plan was to go after Joe Gibbs. He was gonna offer Gibbs the same kind of role Coughlin had with the Jags. I'll forever wonder what the Panthers history would have been like if Gibbs had said yes.

As to Polian, his first target for a head coach was Rich Kotite. Thankful that didn't work out.

Wanted to focus on racing correct?

• Beer 1

Just now, thefuzz said:

Wanted to focus on racing correct?

And his family.

I remember him saying that he was so completely obsessive as a football coach that pretty much everything took second place. At least at the time, he didn't want to be that way again.

Changed his mind later of course, but that wound up being underwhelming.

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, thefuzz said:

Gonna be honest, I like Ron as a human being...but he's continuing to fall further and further down the list of smart football people.

I swear man, come on Ron.

Ron is a player's coach.  Part of that is he is old school.  Maybe a bit too old school.  I liked him but honestly him being  instrumental in the overuse of Cam and CMC kinda soured me.  

1 hour ago, Mr. Scot said:

What I find funny is that Marty and the Polians are at very opposite ends of the emotional spectrum.

Marty is generally considered to be a nice guy (some might say "pushover") who tends to remain cool and doesn't make enemies. On the flipside, once during a particularly contentious negotiation, Bill Polian picked up a chair and threw it at an agent. 

Pretty sure there was also a story that Chris threw a punch at someone in the Colts stadium, a reporter if memory serves. That might also have been Bill but I think it was Chris or at the very least Chris was involved.

Jerry Richardson reportedly used to write the word "CALM" in big letters on a piece of paper and flash it at Polian during meetings and negotiations at times when it looked like he was starting to lose it. The contrast in styles between Richardson's southern cool and Polian's Northeast attitude was said to be one of the reasons why they parted ways. Then Richardson hired Dave Gettleman (and ultimately parted ways with him too).

They are actually a pretty great family, Brian & Bill in particular, but yes, Chris is a hot head and Bill got hyperactive at times early in his career.  Gotta say though--you just threw out a lot of things that are half truths.  The cool thing as well is that Chris was okay with going as low on the totem pole in Jax to reframe his career.  He didn't have a choice but let's be careful with throwing out what you're saying.  These are people with experiences and things they've learned from.

This is maybe TMI but Bill low key took his grandson to a large chunk of Panthers games and sat up in sect 552 in the late 2000s/early 2010s.   Always super unassuming in a hoodie. 

11 minutes ago, davos said:

They are actually a pretty great family, Brian & Bill in particular, but yes, Chris is a hot head and Bill got hyperactive at times early in his career.  Gotta say though--you just threw out a lot of things that are half truths.  The cool thing as well is that Chris was okay with going as low on the totem pole in Jax to reframe his career.  He didn't have a choice but let's be careful with throwing out what you're saying.  These are people with experiences and things they've learned from.

This is maybe TMI but Bill low key took his grandson to a large chunk of Panthers games and sat up in sect 552 in the late 2000s/early 2010s.   Always super unassuming in a hoodie. 

I'm open to any perspective or insight anyone can offer.

The Indy media wasn't exactly complimentary of Chris's tenure as GM.

Edited by Mr. Scot