• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Vincent Jackson, former Buc, found dead

Icege

19 minutes ago, Icege said:

Leads me to believe that he was there on business but suddenly stopped checking in.

Likely "taking a little time" from the family, and stopped checking in.

I REALLY wanted him to come here as a FA...IIRC, he signed a 5 for 50M deal, and I still was interested.

RIP, good dude.

On 2/15/2021 at 5:14 PM, Floppin said:

Sounds like a likely drug overdose.

Family members of the late Vincent Jackson say the former NFL wideout suffered from CTE. 

Jackson, who was found deceased on Monday at 38 years old, suffered from chronic alcoholism, according to Hillsborough County Sheriff Chad Chronister. The sheriff added the Jackson's family members believe he struggled for years with symptoms of CTE, or brain degeneration likely caused by repeated head traumas -- an alarmingly common issue for ex-NFL players. Jackson had isolated himself in a hotel for a month before he was found dead. The league created a fund for former players who suffer from cognitive decline, a move criticized by many as inadequate. 

Hillsborough County Sheriff Chad Chronister appeared on the “MJ Morning Show” on Tampa radio station Q105 Wednesday and discussed some of the key findings of the autopsy report. One of them was that Jackson was suffering from “chronic alcoholism.”

image.gif.1002c9f49ddcdbbd9ffa02d59b6f558f.gif

“Just tragic,” Chronister said. “We haven’t got the toxicology report back, so we can’t say with any certainty that that was it, but a lot of long-standing health conditions that contributed to his passing because of some alcohol abuse.”

“[The family believes] wholeheartedly that all of these actions are a result of what he suffered from while he played in the NFL,” Chronister said.

https://nypost.com/2021/02/17/vincent-jackson-suffered-from-chronic-alcoholism-before-death-sheriff/

• Beer 1

On March 2, 2010, Jackson faced arraignment for driving with a suspended license.[24] He was handcuffed briefly and had his car impounded following a traffic stop just a few hours before the Chargers' playoff loss to the New York Jets.[citation needed] Jackson was pulled over for playing loud music.[25] He was cited for driving with a suspended license and expired tags.[26]

On July 1, 2010, it was announced that Jackson had been suspended for three games for violating the league's personal conduct policy.[29][30

On August 20, 2010, the Chargers placed him on the Roster Exempt List, meaning that he would have to serve a 3-game suspension once he had agreed to a contract.[44] The National Football League Players Association arranged a deal in which if Jackson was traded by the Chargers by 4 PM on September 22, he would have instead been placed on the Commissioner Exempt List, rolling 6 games of suspensions (3 for pleading guilty to drunk driving 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vincent_Jackson

I always hate it when the good ones leave the living. It seems booze had its iron grip on him, but he still made real efforts to give back to the people/community.

Going to be a sad day when Warrick Dunn is gone too, NFL needs more Warrick Dunns. Thomas Davis has done a great job and hes retiring this year too. I wish it was super popular being like Jackson, Dunn, and Davis. 

Edited by Basbear

41 minutes ago, Ja Rhule said:

You were pretty quick there to call it drug overdose without taking CTE into consideration.

I said it sounded like a drug overdose. I'm not sure what you're getting at. It appears it was alcohol related. I mean I'm sure CTE lead to his alcoholism and it would have for drug use. Again, I'm not sure what point you think you're making. I literally never even brought up CTE.

Edited by Floppin

A good family friend is in his early 70s and heading down the road of dementia. He's basically drinking himself into a stupor on a daily basis and I honestly think it's to escape the dementia. Sometimes I wonder if he's literally trying to drink himself to death. It sucks to watch good people dealing with this poo. With Jackson's reported ongoing CTE symptoms he could've been in a similar situation.

• Pie 1

2 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

A good family friend is in his early 70s and heading down the road of dementia. He's basically drinking himself into a stupor on a daily basis and I honestly think it's to escape the dementia. Sometimes I wonder if he's literally trying to drink himself to death. It sucks to watch good people dealing with this poo. With Jackson's reported ongoing CTE symptoms he could've been in a similar situation.

I was at west Charlotte one day building a house for habitat for humanity and I walked to back porch and look on my left and there was neighbor sitting and drinking straight out of Jack Daniels bottle at 9am.  Blew my mind but that’s the reality.