• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

New Falcons GM calls bringing in quarterbacks "an offseason priority"

Mr. Scot

27 minutes ago, Sean Payton's Vicodin said:

its over

better prep yourself to hear roger goodell say "panthers select: micah parsons, off the ball linebacker, penn state"

I’m fully prepared for “Panthers select: Rashawn Slater, Northwestern -Offensive Tackle” and I’d be happy with that. Also will be fine with a trade down, select Darrishaw and add another 2nd/3rd to grab another lineman or maybe Jordan/Freiermuth at TE or Surratt at LB. 

43 minutes ago, SmokinwithWilly said:

There are some who think he could play in Atlanta into his 40s and the idea of them taking a QB is ludicrous. I’m just suggesting that they might be doing more than the Hurney plan and looking beyond this year.

I think assuming any QB playing beyond 40 is a big assumption. It's obvious these guys can play longer now in the modern era but I don't think a lot of them will want to.

I took the article differently then the Falcons taking a QB at the 4th pick. I thought he was commenting on the Saints not being complacent in the QB room once they have their starter (Brees) and bringing that philosophy to Atlanta with him. 

Would it surprise me to see them sign Trubisky to their backup role? Nope. Sh!t happens in the NFL and you don’t want Will Grier level players starting potential important games.

6 hours ago, stbugs said:

I agree. They are inviting trade ups. They didn’t say anything more than GM speak if you will. Every roster spot is a competition type talk and making it seem like they could take a QB. They limit their trade down opportunities if they say, no QB you just need to trade with Cincy. 

When you look at the Falcons, they have two options: one last run with Ryan and Julio or rebuild.  Honestly, either option involves their defense.

If they want to make one more run with the current core, it was not that group that has consistently let them down.  No lead is safe with their defense.

If they want to rebuild, they are pretty much stuck with Ryan and Jones next year.  In 2022 they could get out from under both.  It won't be cheap, but it will be cheaper than hanging onto them.  They could part ways with Ryan but hang onto Julio, depending on how 2021 goes.

Trading down for multiple quality picks serves their immediate need for either case.  Sure, they are bypassing their shot at a one of the "Big Four," but they may not be interested in all of them and trading up only hampers their need to address other holes.

They are in worse shape than we are.  I think their odds at "one more run" are slim, their roster is not exactly young, and the only reason their salary cap situation is not on everybody's mind is the Saints and Eagles numbers are much worse.  Problem is the Falcons only have 42 players chewing up theirs.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1