• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Report- KK Short has been cut

trueblade

35 minutes ago, Icege said:

Have you been day drinking on a Tuesday?

Are you still trying to use the salary floor as an excuse for last year? Do you actually believe the cap number and the one used for the “floor” are the same? I thought we were past that. They are not. Ones cap space. Ones cash. That’s why your scenario makes no sense. 

16 minutes ago, JawnyBlaze said:

I’d say 3rd, behind Jenkins and Star. Agreed  on well wishes though. He got too much hate for being injured. Seemed like a good dude and good teammate. Hope he doesn’t have to settle for Washington. 

I don't see how anyone that watched the games when Star and Short was here could come away saying Star was better.  I remember Star's last year here and everyone was saying on this board how they were so glad we signed Short and not Star.

16 minutes ago, stbugs said:

No need to wonder. The actual date of release doesn’t matter. It’s like IR designated to return. You don’t do that when you put the player on IR, before CV you just had two chances to come back. Similarly for post June 1st, it’s a designation and not a calendar option.  Cut today and you can use one of the two designations and say he’s a post June 1st cut. They added that to a prior CBA so the vet had a chance to join another team right away instead of after all FA and the draft.

Also, you gain no extra money. What happens is that if designated as post June 1st, you can then stretch out whatever dead cap is left into this year and next year instead of eating it all this year. Short has $11M in dead cap left so post June 1st puts $5M of the dead cap into 2022 and leaves only $6M in 2021. With cap rollover, it’s close to the same because the extra $5M in cap space to use after June 1st (that’s key as you can’t use it on Morton’s tag) is offset by $5M in dead cap next year. No matter what we still have all $11M in dead cap, just whether you spread some into next year to give yourself flexibility which in rebuild year two we should hopefully not need to use this year

In this instance, I believe its more about freeing up the money as soon as possible.  

Franchise tag deadline is early March.  If the Panthers wanted to use Short's freed up money to assist in tagging Moton, they can't wait till June 1st for it to come out.

• Pie 2

I like not making it a June 1st cut and just eating all of that money this year.  Realistically, we're not competing for anything next year.  But beyond that? Try to have the cap as clear as possible so we're not consistently taking decent percentages of dead cap with us each and every year. 

Now tag Moton and try to work out a deal ASAP

• Pie 2

1 hour ago, stbugs said:

No need to wonder. The actual date of release doesn’t matter. It’s like IR designated to return. You don’t do that when you put the player on IR, before CV you just had two chances to come back. Similarly for post June 1st, it’s a designation and not a calendar option.  Cut today and you can use one of the two designations and say he’s a post June 1st cut. They added that to a prior CBA so the vet had a chance to join another team right away instead of after all FA and the draft.

Also, you gain no extra money. What happens is that if designated as post June 1st, you can then stretch out whatever dead cap is left into this year and next year instead of eating it all this year. Short has $11M in dead cap left so post June 1st puts $5M of the dead cap into 2022 and leaves only $6M in 2021. With cap rollover, it’s close to the same because the extra $5M in cap space to use after June 1st (that’s key as you can’t use it on Morton’s tag) is offset by $5M in dead cap next year. No matter what we still have all $11M in dead cap, just whether you spread some into next year to give yourself flexibility which in rebuild year two we should hopefully not need to use this year.

OTC is actually showing an additional $6-7 mil in total dead cap for cutting him pre-June 1st. It's actually more dead cap than he has remaining prorated bonus money. 

In fact it is more money than what he appears to have left in his contract. That's weird. 

1 hour ago, bababoey said:

I don't see how anyone that watched the games when Star and Short was here could come away saying Star was better.  I remember Star's last year here and everyone was saying on this board how they were so glad we signed Short and not Star.

Star was more critical to a good dline. Short got the stats but Star was the better player. Not everyone said they were glad we signed Short over Star. The loss of Star was the beginning of the end of our top tier defense.