• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Updated Cap for the 2021 Panthers

WarPanthers89

On 2/16/2021 at 9:57 PM, Jared Patterson said:

I don't know why y'all don't want to cut Paradis. Even if he plays decent he's old and won't be a part of the future. Why not move on now and let a young guy work.

Desperate for any competent oline.. if we somehow can get a cheaper alternative to paradis im all for it .. cap space this year is going to be a premium. It is worth considering but only if we have the next room in place

• Pie 1

The Panthers are gaining $4.27 million in cap space after rolling over what was left from 2020. So, if you base it on the salary cap minimum of $180 million, the Panthers will have roughly $24 million in cap space.

now Cut Weatherly  (5.9m), Burris (3.8m) and Palardy (1.9m) and suddenly we have  $11.6 million more, for a total of 35.6 million.  Moton's tag will take us back down to around 20 mill.
Edited by Captain Morgan
  • Flames 1

Cutting Palardy and Weatherly, Combined with this week's release of veteran defensive tackle Kawann Short, the Panthers have carved around $16.4 million worth of space off the cap. This total does NOT include the savings from Boston who will likely be a post June 1st cut saving  and additional $3,550,000 this year and $4,990,000 next year with dead cap of $2,666,666 this season as well as next season.

Total for all the cuts: $19,950,000 saved.

• Beer 1

We can save $4.9M releasing Paradis straight up. $8.5M if it's post-June 1st. That he wasn't announced today with the rest of the names tells me that we're at least going to hang onto him until we see what happens in FA and possibly the draft. We may be looking for a surprise cap casualty to become available. If we have a rookie QB we expect to play early, then we can't also rely on a rookie center IMO.

• Pie 1

1 minute ago, LinvilleGorge said:

We can save $4.9M releasing Paradis straight up. $8.5M if it's post-June 1st. That he wasn't announced today with the rest of the names tells me that we're at least going to hang onto him until we see what happens in FA and possibly the draft. We may be looking for a surprise cap casualty to become available. If we have a rookie QB we expect to play early, then we can't also rely on a rookie center IMO.

We are sitting at $35,231,683 cap currently. Idk if releasing Paradis is going to happen. We already have to fill three starting roles on the line this offseason, and that’s with the assumption we tag Moton. That may be asking a lot compared to the savings you would get from cutting him. He already has a year in our offense, and that is an incredibly important role.

• Pie 1

4 minutes ago, WarPanthers89 said:

We are sitting at $35,231,683 cap currently. Idk if releasing Paradis is going to happen. We already have to fill three starting roles on the line this offseason, and that’s with the assumption we tag Moton. That may be asking a lot compared to the savings you would get from cutting him. He already has a year in our offense, and that is an incredibly important role.

Yeah, I honestly don't think it's part of the plan. At least not currently. Now if a decent option becomes available for less than that plan can always change.

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I think your last sentence is a big part of this, we have to hedge our bets without a clear plan at QB for now. pParadis was mostly serviceable last season - not to say he is worth what we are paying, but, we dont have a replacement for him on the roster.  Why not keep him and if we come up with a better plan B then we will make him a post June 1 and get more money off the books.

2 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

This whole "not paying for bad players" thing...is that something new in the NFL? 🤔

I know it goes against our usual practices.

Right? Unfortunately, one of the only consistent things about this franchise is that we are consistently loaded with dead money, poo contracts, and our collective backs are up against the wall with regards to the salary cap. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1