• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

2020-2021 Deep Ball Project

Ricky Spanish

44 minutes ago, stbugs said:

Very consistent to what we saw. Our WRs were fantastic at tracking the inaccurate deep balls. For all the yards we had deep, so few TDs. The reason is that unlike the guys who had a lot of yard and a lot of TDs, they hit WRs in stride deep and Teddy didn’t. I’d love to know how often our guys got wide open compared to other WRs because it seemed like on every pass play one of the 3 broke wide open and either Teddy couldn’t get them the ball in stride of he chose a dump off short of the 1st down.

One could only imagine what 2015 Cam could have done with this set of WRs. Certainly wouldn’t have been 15 TDs.

Yeah! Cam had 35 TDs and only 10 ints in 2015! If he had these receivers, man. Might have had 45 TDs!

• Pie 1

From the article:

25. Teddy Bridgewater (Carolina Panthers)

Screen Shot 2021-02-15 at 12.49.58 AM

I missed watching Teddy Bridgewater as a starter in the NFL after that brutal knee injury from 2016, but this was not what I had in mind.

Replacing Cam Newton in the eyes of Panthers fans was not going to be easy, and that’s exactly what didn’t happen. Normally I don’t talk much about Inaccurate Completions considering each quarterback has at least 1 or 2 of them. Teddy had 5. F-I-V-E of them. That should be impossible to achieve, and yet the impossible has happened.

Bridgewater also threw for less accurate passes than he had completions, and that’s never a good thing. He fared well on passes of 31-35 yards, but otherwise was well below average as a deep passer. The decision making was there, but the arm strength simply was not, leaving plays on the field for D.J. Moore, Curtis Samuel, and Robby Anderson.

However, I can also appreciate that he’s not dead last. Last year, Kyle Allen was the worst deep passer in the 2019-20 Deep Ball Project, and Teddy is Dan Marino in comparison to Allen. Surprisingly, he was 10th in accuracy against pressure for instance. So while his deep passing season was bad, it wasn’t the cyanide trainwreck Allen’s season was a year ago.

• Pie 3
  • Flames 1

The rankings of QB's reported to be or speculated to be associated with our QB search:

Dwayne Haskins(tied for 32nd)

Mitchell Trubisky(tied for 32nd)

Sam Darnold(29th)

Carson Wentz(27th)

Dak Prescott(tied for 17th)

Gardner Minshew(tied for 17th)

Matthew Stafford(9th)

Deshaun Watson(6th)

Derek Carr(2nd)

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

4 hours ago, stbugs said:

Very consistent to what we saw. Our WRs were fantastic at tracking the inaccurate deep balls. For all the yards we had deep, so few TDs. The reason is that unlike the guys who had a lot of yard and a lot of TDs, they hit WRs in stride deep and Teddy didn’t. I’d love to know how often our guys got wide open compared to other WRs because it seemed like on every pass play one of the 3 broke wide open and either Teddy couldn’t get them the ball in stride of he chose a dump off short of the 1st down.

One could only imagine what 2015 Cam could have done with this set of WRs. Certainly wouldn’t have been 15 TDs.

As I told to some of my non-Panther-fan friends, we've had a LOT of bad QBs throughout our history, but Teddy was by far the most frustrating one I had ever remembered watching.  He was just so bad...  And no doubt, I'm sure despite the personal relationship, Brady regrets putting his name behind him because this offense would've put up video game-like numbers had we had a QB who could actually improvise AND hit the deep throws that were available all season long.

• Pie 6

1 minute ago, Proudiddy said:

As I told to some of my non-Panther-fan friends, we've had a LOT of bad QBs throughout our history, but Teddy was by far the most frustrating one I had ever remembered watching.  He was just so bad...  And no doubt, I'm sure despite the personal relationship, Brady regrets putting his name behind him because this offense would've put up video game-like numbers had we had a QB who could actually improvise AND hit the deep throws that were available all season long.

I agree he was the most frustrating but I don't think it was because he was so "bad" per se, but because it's easy to see how if he just had a bit of guts how much better he could be. He could easily be a Goff/Cousins level QB if he just didn't play terrified. I honestly don't think those guys are a bit more talented than he is and I have to admit that his actual arm strength was better than I expected. Still below average for an NFL QB but not the total liability level I fully expected. His utter conservativeness is a far bigger liability than his physical throwing ability. 

• Pie 4