• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

With the trade deadline approaching...

Stumpy

With the trade deadline approaching...  

19 members have voted

1. 1. If you are Don "The Don" Waddell, what's your move?

• Try to find a true #1 Goalie.
    • MOAR FORWARDS!!!
    • Get someone who can replicate Dougie's previous production.
    • More size/grit.
    • All of the above.
    • Stand pat... Profit

As much as I would love to see a quality goalie on the roster, I can't see it happening without making sacrifices elsewhere. I'd rather stand pat and figure out how to pay a couple of the UFA's to stick around.

That being said, Reimer has some decent games under his belt when the Canes are smothering on D and giving up 25 shots or less. But they catch a team like CBJ who will throw 35+ shots a game and Reimer is in deep sh!t.

I think Mrazek will come back and he'll be the #2 for a while because he'll be a little hesitant at first, Ned is out and Reimer is the #1. 

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

• 3 weeks later...

A month later and still a month away from the deadline (lmao @ thread title) have things changed? 

Has the emergence of Bean/Fleury and Paccetti's added physicality made Dougie expendable or do we keep him as an in house rental? 

Do/can we trade Reimer with Dan Levy's brother playing at such a high level?

Any way we can package Dougie/Reims with one of our forwards also on expiring contracts for a younger top 3 guy?

Edited by Stumpy

I think we need another LW to play with Aho and Turbo. Svech and Staal are tearing it up, and Nino and Trocheck and Necas are doing well.

We may want to look into acquiring someone to play on 1LW, mainly because while I like Brock he has clearly cooled off and I'd like to see Aho and Turbo get going.

• Pie 1

2 hours ago, Harbingers said:

I'm good with rolling with what we have. I don't know for sure but I think this goalie call up was to cover the expansion draft. If Waddell & Rod want to make a move I trust their judgement but I feel like they like this current line up.

32 minutes ago, TrevorLaurenceTime22 said:

I realized Necas isn't eligible that was releaving.

I still don't know how all the rules around the expansion draft work. 

15 hours ago, Stumpy said:

I still don't know how all the rules around the expansion draft work. 

https://www.nhl.com/news/seattle-kraken-2021-nhl-expansion-draft-rules-same-as-vegas-golden-knights-followed/c-302586918

"Seattle must choose a minimum of 20 players under contract for the 2021-22 regular season and those with an aggregate Expansion Draft value that is between 60-100 percent of the prior season's upper limit for the salary cap. Seattle cannot buy out players chosen in the Expansion Draft earlier than the summer following its first season.

Current NHL teams can protect seven forwards, three defensemen and one goalie, or eight skaters (forwards/defensemen) and one goalie, under the following conditions.

* All players with no movement clauses at the time of the draft, and who decline to waive those clauses, must be protected and will be counted toward their team's applicable protection limits.

* All first- and second-year NHL players, and all unsigned draft choices, will be exempt from selection (and will not be counted toward protection limits.

In addition, all NHL teams must meet the following minimum requirements regarding players exposed for selection in the draft:

* One defenseman who is a) under contract in 2021-22 and b) played in at least 40 NHL games the prior season or played in at least 70 NHL games in the prior two seasons.

* Two forwards who are a) under contract in 2021-22 and b) played at least 40 NHL games the prior season or played in at least 70 NHL games in the prior two seasons.

* One goalie who is under contract in 2021-22 or will be a restricted free agent at the end of his current contract immediately prior to 2021-22. If a team elects to make a restricted free agent goalie available to meet this requirement, that goalie must have received his qualifying offer prior to the submission of the team's protected list.

* Players with potential career-ending injuries who have missed more than the previous 60 consecutive games (or who otherwise have been confirmed to have a career-threatening injury) may not be used to satisfy a team's player exposure requirements unless approval is received from the NHL. Such players also may be deemed exempt from selection."

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

All players with no movement clauses at the time of the draft, and who decline to waive those clauses, must be protected and will be counted toward their team's applicable protection limits.

So we know Staal is protected automatically.

All first- and second-year NHL players, and all unsigned draft choices, will be exempt from selection (and will not be counted toward protection limits. (From a blog (Update 12/10/2020: A player who has completed his second pro season, and will be entering his third pro season in 2021-22, is still exempt. This was clarified by league muckety-muck Bill Daly prior to the 2017 expansion draft, and we include it here to clear up any confusion.))

But here's where poo gets fuggy. I'm not sure if its following the Golden Knights with "Professional Players" aka those that have completed seasons in the AHL or if its following the above language of "NHL" players.

Here is the Golden Knights draft language compared to the above: "All first- and second-year professionals, as well as all unsigned draft choices, will be exempt from selection (and will not be counted toward their club's applicable protection limits)." So assuming its the above

Every breakdown site is following the language of "Professional Player", even the NHL article above say its the same but the language is clearly not the same if you compare the two. I'd love to see a copy of the actual in league memo to clarify this but I can't see to find it.

Necas will be exempt either way. Bean is exempt as is Lorentz under NHL player rule not the professional player rule. According the Cap Friendly Bean needs 13 more games to be eligible as an offering and Lorentz needs 15 to apply to the below rule.

In addition, all NHL teams must meet the following minimum requirements regarding players exposed for selection in the draft: Forward & Defenseman "under contract in 2021-22 and b) played in at least 40 NHL games the prior season or played in at least 70 NHL games in the prior two seasons." Goalie "One goalie who is under contract in 2021-22 or will be a restricted free agent at the end of his current contract immediately prior to 2021-22."

So now we are left with

RFA: Foegele, Svech, Bean & Ned as RFA.

UFA Dougie, McGinn, Martinook, Paquette, McCormick, Ryan AND both Reimer & Mrazek.

https://sinbin.vegas/curious-role-ufas-expansion-draft/ Full explination of how UFA worked during the Golden Knights draft. If we decide not to cover any of the above players it appears Seattle can negotiate with them and if someone signs that counts as our offering outright.

Under Contract: Aho, TT, Nino, Trocheck, Fast, Pesce, Skjei, Gardiner Slavin & Fleury

Heres where it gets shitty for us, at our current roster. We are required to expose one defenseman(easy) and two forwards(Not so easy) from the under contract list above. As any rules violation allows Seattle to acquire a second pick from us if they so choose.

Defenseman there's a lot of roads but I'm not sure we'll protect Dougie frankly if he wants 8.5 and we want to give a max 6.5, Gardiner is the pretty clear offer up as long as his M-NTC doesn't apply here and I don't think it does.

But now we have to pick between Aho, TT, Nino, Trocheck & Fast(+ Lorentz if he indeed is eligable, again, under the "Professional Player" rule.

Trocheck and Nino are both UFA the following year so its really a cap call at this point, you'd expect though any sane team picking from our pot would snipe either Nino, Trocheck or Dougie. As obviously we are going to cover Svech and Aho. Probably offer up Fast as one from that list but that leaves Nino or Trocheck exposed.

So basically we are looking at Nino or Trocheck left unprotected and probably picked under the NHL player rule. Both players I wouldn't want to lose but perhaps one a potential cap causality the following year.

If they were real crafty under the Pro player rule though they could offer Lorentz if they wanted to protecting,

Forward: Staal, Aho, TT, Nino, Svech, Trocheck, Mcginn/Foegele

Defenseman: Pesce, Skjei, Slavin or if Dougie plays ball than Slavin, Dougie - with either Pesce or Skjei exposed

Goalie: We'll get there in a second because I have no fugging clue on this.

https://www.capfriendly.com/expansion-draft/seattle Here's a mock you can use but they are also using the "Professional Player" rule.

One goalie who is under contract in 2021-22 or will be a restricted free agent at the end of his current contract immediately prior to 2021-22. If a team elects to make a restricted free agent goalie available to meet this requirement, that goalie must have received his qualifying offer prior to the submission of the team's protected list.

Now for the part that I have no clue. Ned is eligible under the pro player rule but not NHL player rule. Under the NHL player rule we don't have a goalie to offer up as both Mrazek and Reimer are UFA, i'm pretty sure that would be considered a violation of the rules and expose us to 2 draft picks but not positive as it really isn't our fault and we aren't trying to hide anyone. 

If its Pro Player we have to expose Ned and give him the qualifying contract to meet the RFA requirement. If its NHL player as above, no fugging idea as we don't have a goalie that applies. The goalie we signed yesterday doesn't meet any of the criteria. I don't know if one rule supersedes the other in this case or what.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

So basically my two questions are; Is it Professional Player seasons or NHL seasons because that dramatically alters who we expose? And our goalie situation and the rules so we don't get fugged by the rules just because both are goalies contracts are up on a season where there's an expansion draft.

If I'm wrong on anything else please feel free to correct me, those of you who are more in the know on this than I.

Personally my protection list is much the same as above;

Forwards: Staal, Aho, TT, Nino, Svech, Trocheck, McGinn and hope that Foegele isn't picked or vice versa. Martinook should be safe as there is a much higher value player from us that will have to be exposed.

Defense: Pesce, Skjei, Slavin. All under contract for quite a few years so will be our defensive core unless Rod sours on one of them. Sorry Dougie but if you don't want to play ball you will be a prime target for Seattle.

Goalie: Mrazek but Ned in reality if there is any way we can skirt the rules to protect him and he isn't covered by the expose/exempt rules.

Edit: Don't forget we can offer incentives for Seattle to pick a certain player too. Lets say we wanted to open up Gardiners cap space for Dougie and/or Bean we could offer him and a draft pick or two behind the scenes. Much as we did during the golden knights draft.

"The Carolina Hurricanes traded Boston's fifth-round pick in the 2017 NHL Entry Draft (previously acquired) in exchange for Vegas selecting Connor Brickley.[15]"

Edited by Harbingers
  • Beer 2

• 2 weeks later...