• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Hypothetical team combos from 2003, 2015

Mr. Scot

6 minutes ago, Little Goody Two Shoes said:

Top. 2003 defense was better, Cam is better, Smitty is better, JStew is adequate.

I think if I were putting this scenario together, I probably would have put Smith with Delhomme. They had a lot more and longer of a connection than Smith and Newton did.

Flipping Smith and Moose makes it a more interesting question to me.

• Pie 1

14 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Coaching questions on this give me pause.

John Fox would have absolutely no idea what to do with Cam Newton and would use an OC that wouldn't either. That likely blunts Newton's impact.

On the flipside, while Norv Turner could probably work well with Delhomme, Jake wouldn't have the ability to save a game the way Rivera frequently needed Cam to.

Henning made Jake look effective. I doubt he would have much trouble with Cam. Cams best attribute by a long shot was his power running ability. Henning would be fine with that. Then set up the passing game with Smith. I doubt the guy who spent his life in the game wouldn't know how to use a power running  strong armed deep ball throwing QB with his pretty good offensive lines and Smith.

24 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Technically Rivera has a better W-L record, but what's your argument? 🤔

Rivera had a transcendent QB. Fox had Jake. I do agree W-L is more on the coach than any other individual involved in a team (I despise attributing wins to QBs) but in this case Rivera had a cheat code.  

54 minutes ago, OneBadCat said:

Definitely the top one based on personnel but I don’t trust John Fox with Cam Newton. Even Rivera was more innovative than Fox was.

Henning is the only reason we were in that game in 2003/04.  Billicheat had our offense stopped, thanks to his cheating way,  until Henning changed the game plan and we took off in the 2nd half. 

Fox let Henning run the offense.  I can only imagine what he would have done with Cam.   I'd take Cam and the 2015 defense with SS and Jonathan Stewart.