• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers Wire's Tim Weaver (via Jordan Rodrigue): Panthers 'Love' Fields, 'Like' Jones!

top dawg

1 hour ago, top dawg said:

Take this with a grain of salt, as it is the Lying Season, and smoke...screens are in the air!

"Jourdan Rodrigue has been covering the Rams this season for the Athletic but we can assume she’s still as plugged-in for Carolina as any beat reporter. Speaking with Nora Princiotti on The Ringer’s new NFL podcast, Rodrigue said she knows the Panthers “love” Justin Fields and “like” Mac Jones."

"I know they love Justin Fields. I know they like Mac Jones."

https://pantherswire.usatoday.com/2021/02/17/panthers-love-justin-fields-like-mac-jones/

So, here we go. Take it FWIW!

If teams were holding cards close to the vest, would they let this out?

The only way I see this information being relevant is if they are willing to trade with Miami--knowing Fields will be there---

To me, this may be the better play, if you do not want Atlanta getting fields.  Is the fact that they do not mention Lance a tell?  Is THAT the player they covet?

Just now, MHS831 said:

Probably.  Why would you talk about Fields and Jones, no mention of Lance?  Silly click bait.

I’m just glad they are talking Carolina football .. I hate that we get disrespected every year during the draft (they always go to commercial on our picks)

anyways the foundation is being poured solid .. we have a bright future .. excited for the future of panther fans 

• Pie 1

24 minutes ago, Khyber53 said:

We hear so much about making crazy trades, multiple first rounders over the next couple of years, throw in CMC and Bridgewater, a third this year, a fifth next year, a case of baseballs and Tepper's new trophy wife just to get Watson or to trade up for the third pick.

Sheesh, why not just get Jacksonville (who have massive rebuilding to do) and make them the crazy offer and just snag the first pick in the draft, get the Clemson Crusader and be done with it?

(Personally, I say stay out of massive trades/swaps and play the cards you are dealt. There will be someone great available at #8.)

Why not indeed? Probably because they would be driven out of town with pitchforks and shotguns by the people of Jacksonville if they traded away Trevor Lawrence? The same Lawrence who’s heralded as the best college QB of all time and the most can’t miss QB prospect basically ever? I don’t think there is a trade package that exists that will pry #1 away from the Jags, and for good reason. 

• Pie 1

1 minute ago, joemac said:

Why not indeed? Probably because they would be driven out of town with pitchforks and shotguns by the people of Jacksonville if they traded away Trevor Lawrence? The same Lawrence who’s heralded as the best college QB of all time and the most can’t miss QB prospect basically ever? I don’t think there is a trade package that exists that will pry #1 away from the Jags, and for good reason. 

Like I said, I'd prefer for us to keep #8 and run with it. 

4 minutes ago, DFive said:

Disagree. The player that screams bust is Trey Lance. Fields is legit and will be a top 5 QB in the NFL before he signs his second contract with us. 

I think this guy (Fields) is a smaller Cam as his downside--but he has the tools to be more accurate as a passer.  Not saying he has the athleticism or running ability of Cam, but he does not lack it on a different level.  Cam's problem was that his running ability always bailed him out, so his arm was looking to pass while his feet were looking to run--that caused mechanical issues. Rivera, instead of developing his mechanics, decided to let him run it.  That was like saying, "We hope to get 8-10 years out Cam."  It was tragic. If Fields can become a better passer than Cam, and if we can give him better blocking and weaponry, I see why we like him.  He could be very special. 

People get mad when I mention Cam and how he was wasted by Ron Rivera and Marty Hurney/Dave Gettlemen.  But he was.

• Beer 1
  • Flames 1

1 hour ago, TheProcess said:

This is my stance as well, especially considering we could be looking at picks 8, 40, and 2022 1st  to take a 50/50 chance at best on a rookie QB. I also do not think any of the top 4 make it to pick 8 as this is the craziest year I have seen involving QB's

It is a crap shoot.

1 minute ago, MHS831 said:

I think this guy (Fields) is a smaller Cam as his downside--but he has the tools to be more accurate as a passer.  Not saying he has the athleticism or running ability of Cam, but he does not lack it on a different level.  Cam's problem was that his running ability always bailed him out, so his arm was looking to pass while his feet were looking to run--that caused mechanical issues. Rivera, instead of developing his mechanics, decided to let him run it.  That was like saying, "We hope to get 8-10 years out Cam."  It was tragic. If Fields can become a better passer than Cam, and if we can give him better blocking and weaponry, I see why we like him.  He could be very special. 

People get mad when I mention Cam and how he was wasted by Ron Rivera and Marty Hurney/Dave Gettlemen.  But he was.

Cam was wasted by our brain trust (using the term very loosely). 

In a way, being smaller than Cam might be an advantage for Fields.  Cam had no problem taking on linebackers because of his size.  That takes a toll, which is why RBs have limited shelf lives.  Not having a size and weight advantage over many of them might cause Fields to be a little less likely to think "bring it on" when he is running the ball. Getting down and "living to fight another day" is not a bad trait in a QB.

• Beer 1

ryan reynolds wtf GIF

Jones and fields, GROSS!! Lance>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Jones/Fields

1 hour ago, Mr. Scot said:

Ron Rivera wasn't John Fox either, but he found his own ways of screwing up.

Logically no, these aren't the former Panthers. But the lessons from years of Panther fanhood are going to take time to overcome.

Rhule had the best first year for me, if you take everything in count. Fox is right there with 7-9 after a 1-15 season. I change my mind, fox had the best first year. RR did the same with going 6-10 form 2-14 quiters. All impressed, Rhule feels different tho..