• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers Wire's Tim Weaver (via Jordan Rodrigue): Panthers 'Love' Fields, 'Like' Jones!

top dawg

5 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Not negative, nervous.

Twenty five plus years as a Panther fan will do that to you.

Same years here for 25 years, but finding a franchise QB excites me. We’ve really only had one, which changed our franchise completely  until health ended it. We have one other example in our history so it’s about time we put forth an aggressive effort. That’s one of the reasons we haven’t had back to back winning seasons in our 25 years...look at the QB’s. Other than Cam Newton the best QB play we have had is....Jake Delhomme.

• Beer 1

1 minute ago, top dawg said:

Well hinsight is always 20/20! 

I do agree with you about Tepper possibly being a meddler. I don't know it for sure, but I certainly thought it as I read the article. Where I might disagree though is that maybe, just maybe, we'll end up better for it in the long run. And, yes, I know that Jerry Jones is the poster boy for why owners shouldn't meddle, but, Tepper seems to be a lot smarter than Jerry Jones.

My worry with Tepper is that with regard to football, he sometimes comes across as a guy who isn't nearly as smart as he thinks he is.

He's seemed to indicate at least that he's willing to let the football decisions be made by the football people.

He also said he was committed to a long term rebuild but now we're talking about crazy deals and winning now.

Like I said, incomplete.

• Pie 1

1 minute ago, WarPanthers89 said:

Same years here for 25 years, but finding a franchise QB excites me. We’ve really only had one, which changed our franchise completely  until health ended it. We have one other example in our history so it’s about time we put forth an aggressive effort. That’s one of the reasons we haven’t had back to back winning seasons in our 25 years...look at the QB’s. Other than Cam Newton the best QB play we have had is....Jake Delhomme.

I'm fully in favor of trying to get a franchise quarterback.

I'm just also conscious of how bad things can go when you get that particular decision wrong.

41 minutes ago, Verge said:

Fields seems like the most realistic option if we can't get Watson. 

I get why people have fallen in love with Wilson lately but I really think Fields will wind up being considerably better and a true franchise QB. I'd be thrilled if we can land him without giving up too much in a potential trade up.

• Flames 1

28 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

My worry with Tepper is that with regard to football, he sometimes comes across as a guy who isn't nearly as smart as he thinks he is.

He's seemed to indicate at least that he's willing to let the football decisions be made by the football people.

He also said he was committed to a long term rebuild but now we're talking about crazy deals and winning now.

Like I said, incomplete.

While I agree with this to some degree, I am happy that we have an owner willing to fall on his sword giving it the old college try as opposed to riding down the lazy river.  As I have always said " At some point you have to take a chance, Columbus did!"

52 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

See above, and don't frame it in terms of the Watson situation because that's not what I'm talking about.

We're pleased with the results from Matt Rhule so far, but we were also pleased with the early returns from Ron Rivera. Later results, not so much.

Likewise, while it's not difficult to imagine that Scott Fitterer will be a better GM than Marty Hurney because Marty was terrible, it's not guaranteed that he's going to be a good GM either. We'll have to wait and see.

And then there's David Tepper. His grade is still an incomplete to me, but he's definitely done some things that make me wonder if he really knows what he's doing (his praise and retention of Marty for example). I haven't seen enough good from him to make me trust him yet.

We all hope there are better things to come.

But it's not guaranteed.

I mean, Rivera was a great coach for us, no matter how you want to slice the last couple of years. He won NFL Coach of the Year twice, almost led us to an undefeated regular season, and made the playoffs 3 times in a row. BY FAR the best we’ve ever been for any sustained period of time. Did the wheels fall off at the end? Sure. But they always do for 99% of all NFL coaches. 10 years is a long time in one spot. Hell, just look at the job he’s done in DC so far, and look at the potential juggernaut they’re building up there. Ron is a great coach. Full stop.

• Pie 1

4 minutes ago, Ryano1974 said:

While I agree with this to some degree, I am happy that we have an owner willing to fall on his sword giving it the old college try as opposed to riding down the lazy river.  As I have always said " At some point you have to take a chance, Columbus did!"

I can agree.

We hear so much about making crazy trades, multiple first rounders over the next couple of years, throw in CMC and Bridgewater, a third this year, a fifth next year, a case of baseballs and Tepper's new trophy wife just to get Watson or to trade up for the third pick.

Sheesh, why not just get Jacksonville (who have massive rebuilding to do) and make them the crazy offer and just snag the first pick in the draft, get the Clemson Crusader and be done with it?

(Personally, I say stay out of massive trades/swaps and play the cards you are dealt. There will be someone great available at #8.)

• Pie 2

29 minutes ago, AU-panther said:

Pick #3 might be the early favorite.  

I’m not positive the Texans will deal Watson and I’m even if they do I not sure if we can outbid the Jets, if the Jets want to be aggressive.

I could actually see Miami being more interested in CMC than the Texans if he was part of a deal.  Would be a nice weapon if they are trying to develop Tua.

There is a definite link between what we can offer and what the Dolphins need.

Everything I read has two of the Dolphins big needs being RB and WR.  Given there are three potential marquee WRs in this draft (Chase, Smith, and Waddle), the Dolphins could make that trade and wind up with an established, versatile RB and a top-notch WR. 

I've also seen them mentioned with Sewell.  If he is their primary interest, we can fuggedaboutit.  The good news is so can everybody else. 

I don't think they would want to move too far down in the first round, because they are probably eyeing one of those three receivers or Sewell.  Moving to #8 would allow them to grab one of the WRs mentioned and wind up with CMC which would check a couple of their boxes early in the draft.

The problem we have is our offense becomes a lot less QB friendly without CMC and Samuel.  We would have to address that as well as the boat anchor called our OL.  And that is just on the offensive side, and does not include the TE position.