• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

NFL News

Mr. Scot

8 minutes ago, thefuzz said:

Ehhh, I haven't looked into it fully just yet, don't care to either...but I'm pretty sure that a lot of players were going to get some pay raises when the new TV deals are done...I think that's soon no?

Personally, were I a player, I would take my lumps this season, not stretch it out over 3.

I think the TV deals are up in 2022 and 2023. So that could boost revenue for next season, potentially. 

If I were a player, I'd definitely be in the NFLPA and my agent's ear looking at the next three or so years before I opted to sign any deal. I mean, unless you are already looking at a mega-contract headed your way. Keep in mind, there were some big deals signed during this whole thing, so the elite player market may not be impacted very much. 

Once FA kicks off, it will be interesting to see what the mid-tier player contracts look like.

• Pie 1

7 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

I think the TV deals are up in 2022 and 2023. So that could boost revenue for next season, potentially. 

If I were a player, I'd definitely be in the NFLPA and my agent's ear looking at the next three or so years before I opted to sign any deal. I mean, unless you are already looking at a mega-contract headed your way. Keep in mind, there were some big deals signed during this whole thing, so the elite player market may not be impacted very much. 

Once FA kicks off, it will be interesting to see what the mid-tier player contracts look like.

This article is about a month old but the first part covers the new TV deals.  Except the money part.  The current deals are like 10 years old so expect the new deals to be much bigger.  That is what the NFL is counting on.

https://www.si.com/extra-mustard/2021/01/28/nfl-tv-rights-deals-cbs-fox-nbc-espn-amazon 

• Beer 1

18 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

I thought the deals were sooner than that?  But like I said, haven't really looked into it for a while.

Either way, I do expect to see more short term deals, but that trend started a few years ago when guys started taking 3 year deals to have a shot at another before their 30th B Day.

• Beer 1

17 hours ago, Panthercougar68 said:

It makes me feel semi better that the Broncos have fallen off the face of the earth after 2015 like us...It would have added insult to injury if they were still averaging 10 wins a year...fug Von Miller.

That's the issue with buying a team to go "all in" for the SB. I expect the Bucs to have similar issues, but not as immediately since Brady sold his soul to the devil in 2001 to stop the aging process. 

• Beer 1

17 hours ago, MHS831 said:

I will be honest,  anyone criticizing Mr Scot does not understand what he does for the Huddle.  Full Stop.  I do not always agree with him, but that is not the issue--he puts it out there and keeps it fresh.

^Much respect to Mr Scot

Edited by Verge
  • Pie 2

1 hour ago, thefuzz said:

I thought the deals were sooner than that?  But like I said, haven't really looked into it for a while.

Either way, I do expect to see more short term deals, but that trend started a few years ago when guys started taking 3 year deals to have a shot at another before their 30th B Day.

I mean, that isn't that far out and I imagine the negotiations have begun already. 

I agree on the shorter term contracts being the trend. Honestly, most players never make the end of a 4+ year deal anyway, so why even bother?

54 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Thanks for the kind words. Didn't really intend for this thread to be about me.

FYI: If you subscribe to The Athletic, they have a story chronicling the timeline of events between Deshaun Watson and the Texans. It's amazing.

We may not agree on everything but you getting called out by that dumpster fire of an idiot is laughable. 

Just now, kungfoodude said:

I mean, that isn't that far out and I imagine the negotiations have begun already. 

Pretty sure Albert Breer said they have.

Just now, kungfoodude said:

We may not agree on everything but you getting called out by that dumpster fire of an idiot is laughable. 

I've seen who you've been arguing with recently 😃

• Beer 1