• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The question of Curtis. Tim Weaver wants to keep him.

top dawg

35 minutes ago, Jon Snow said:

Samuel is our best receiver.  Yeah I said it.  Had we not jumped the gun and paid CMC before we needed to this would not be a discussion.  

Simply so untrue. I like Samuel but he is a body catcher way too much. Props to Brady for using him well though as a gadget. DJ is so underrated by the common fan across the league because of garbage QB play. Don't let that lunacy come into our fanbase. 

• Pie 1

3 minutes ago, PantherKyle said:

Simply so untrue. I like Samuel but he is a body catcher way too much. Props to Brady for using him well though as a gadget. DJ is so underrated by the common fan across the league because of garbage QB play. Don't let that lunacy come into our fanbase. 

Samuel played under the same QBs. Questionable QB play and less than optimal circumstances affects more than a few WRs.

• Pie 3

1 hour ago, onmyown said:

Even with one of the quickest releases in the NFL TB got hurt and his oline ranked below average.

Teddy was ranked 12th in average time to throw. Basically barely faster than average. He was also the 12 most sacked QB, exactly what would be expected. He was sacked on 5.9% of his dropbacks which was 16th in the NFL, not far off from expectations. All indications are that our OL was pretty much average in terms of pass protection.

1 hour ago, PantherKyle said:

No thanks. Not worth the contract for a #3. Also liking him more than DJ is ludicrous. 

How is it ridiculous? Samuel is a better route runner than DJ. DJ is probably better overall but it's not ridiculous to compare the two. 

Edited by SOJA
  • Pie 1

Our best hope for Samuel is that the market cools off after all the #1 WR money drys up. There are a TON of good WR on the market this year. Maybe we can convince Samuel into a three year deal that's back loaded so he could double dip in a few years

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

I appreciate that we stuck with Samuel and he stepped up his game to a level we need to have this conversation.  The fact is we already paid our rb big money and DJ Moore has a contract coming up so... Something has to give.  Robby played great this season as well once he got out from under the black cloud that is the NY Jets.  Curtis was a complete professional and a teammate but, let's let the new regime bring in a draft pick.  The WR class is pretty strong.  We are talking bout the third receiver here. 

It depends on if we land a QB.  If we don't land a QB than yes 100% re-sign him.  

If we land Watson and give up CMC than yes we'll need to re-sign him.

If we have to go with TB5 he's going to need all we can give him to be productive.

OR god forbid we let him walk and have to go in 2021 tanking for 2022 with TB at the helm. 

1 hour ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Teddy was ranked 12th in average time to throw. Basically barely faster than average. He was also the 12 most sacked QB, exactly what would be expected. He was sacked on 5.9% of his dropbacks which was 16th in the NFL, not far off from expectations. All indications are that our OL was pretty much average in terms of pass protection.

Yea if you’re including QBs like Dalton, Gropo, Tua, Fitzpatrick, and Haskins and Brandon Allen.

Maybe I should’ve said a min number of snaps and/for a ‘starting’ QB in which case he’s at the top of the list. Had those QBs played as many snaps I still feel like he’s at the top with all his  check downs.

Curious as to how many of those sacks came in quarters 3 and 4 because from watching the games, the Panthers 2020 oline played very well until half time when they all checked out. If we criticize TB for not closing out games the oline most certainly didn’t finish poo in 2020.

Those things will skew the oline ranking which is sad seeing as they were still ranked 18.

Given there were only 3-4 teams ranked that low to make the Super Bowl, or even deep playoffs in the last 20 years I’d say they are pretty dismal.

Five reasons we should not resign Curtis Samuel. 

1. D'Wayne Eskridge - had a great senior bowl.  Size a bit of an issue but kid is lightning in a bottle.

2. Dyami Brown - electric and shifty receiver had solid production at UNC with gadgetry plays 

3. Jaelon Darden - fast and speedy WR with big play potential. 

4. Anthony Schwartz - track star with decent hands.  

5. Ihmir smith-Marsette -  Playmaker with speed and more size than some on the list. 

Do ya see a pattern?  There are fast and shifty prospects in this draft to develop as a third option later round picks.  If you add big possession types like Amon St Ra,  Tamorrion Terry, Sage Surratt and Seth Williams and the big ticket prizes like Terrance Marshall, Rondale Moore or Rashod Bateman then there are likely a baker's dozen reasons not to overspend on Samuel.

3 hours ago, PantherKyle said:

No thanks. Not worth the contract for a #3. Also liking him more than DJ is ludicrous. 

One is a beast in the open field when you manufacture touches for them and is good for a couple deep bombs.

The other was our go to guy on 3rd/4th down and in the redzone while leading the league in separation and catch rate.

OK so there is a better chance to sign Curtis than I thought at the beginning of the offseason.

Here's why:

• Overall Salary cap is most likely not as high as originally anticipated
  • The WR FA market looks to be oversaturated with top tier talent this offseason (Godwin, Golladay, Robinson, Corey Davis, Marvin Jones, Hilton, Juju, Antonio Brown, AND Curtis)
  • The combination of the above two reasons COULD lead to Curtis taking a shorter 1-year deal that would allow him to cash in on FA the next offseason when the Salary Cap goes back up. 

I'm still only like 15/85% sure yes/no that it happens, but it's better than the 5% I originally thought. 

• Pie 4