• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

ESPN Predicts Watson to be the Panthers starter in 2021

Big Sexy

8 minutes ago, FuFuLamePoo said:

Watson is more than even elite. After Mahomes, he's the most valuable player in the league. If you get a player like Watson, you just need an above average supporting cast to be fuging PERENNIAL Super Bowl contenders. You can get that above average roster through second, third round and free agency. Which, get Watson and you become a premier free agency destination. It is insane how overrated our young "core" has become. None of them are untradable if a player like Watson is actually on the table.

Come on now. I feel like we're getting wrapped up in some euphoric echo chamber now. He's a top 5 player for sure. He's not Mahomes or Rodgers level yet. He's also had some injury concerns with his ACL (x2) and back. All that being said, yeah you absolutely trade 2-3 firsts and CMC for him if you can. 

• Pie 4
  • Beer 1

I don't see the value in an elite QB with no supporting cast. Yes they can elevate the play of their teammates but I'm doubtful we have enough pieces to keep him upright.

We had an elite QB in Cam and while we made it to the Super Bowl we didn't win it and his tenure here was marred by inconsistency. Because of both his style of play and a sub-par OL he got beaten up and "ruined." Watson doesn't have the size and stature advantage that Cam had. If we had either a decent OL or the money to build one I'd be far more willing to gamble on him.

I do think Watson is an elite QB and I'd love to have him here, but given the lack of talent and the constraints of our current salary commitments I don't think it makes sense to give up so much. I don't know that he is special enough to overcome all the obvious obstacles. I don't have faith that we could keep him healthy long enough for such an investment to pay dividends.

• Pie 3
  • Beer 1

2 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Basing Watson going to the Panthers solely on the fact that we're not in conference?

Yeah, that's weak. Especially so when you consider that both the Jets and the Dolphins are in far better position to make substantial offers.

Reading comprehension, my friend...

If you ultimately trade away a franchise quarterback, moving him to a team you play once every four years is preferred to an in-conference foe (assuming the offers are comparable).”

He's basing us making a competitive offer based on how much we offered for Stafford and our aggressive pursuit of a QB, which is very fair reasoning. As to who's in a better position to offer a lot? Frankly, I don't think that comes into play. It just depends on how much we are willing to offer and how much other teams are willing to offer. We have plenty of assets to get it done if we want to be that aggressive. Personally, I don't want to give up too much and hope we don't but I don't see any reason to doubt based on recent developments that we'd be a key player in the discussions if Watson does become available. If Tepper's aggression in wanting an elite franchise QB is as strong as many think it is, we may not hesitate to offer a ton of draft assets in addition to some combo of Burns/McCaffrey/Moore/Chinn/Brown, etc. 

• Pie 1

19 minutes ago, FuFuLamePoo said:

Watson is more than even elite. After Mahomes, he's the most valuable player in the league. If you get a player like Watson, you just need an above average supporting cast to be fuging PERENNIAL Super Bowl contenders. You can get that above average roster through second, third round and free agency. Which, get Watson and you become a premier free agency destination. It is insane how overrated our young "core" has become. None of them are untradable if a player like Watson is actually on the table.

I mean....IDK about that. Wilson, Rodgers, Brady are all ahead of him on that list, I would say.

Unquestionably an elite QB, however.

34 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

That's funny coming on the heels of the whole "bold prediction" thing.

Former Eagles president Joe Banner made a comment yesterday indicating that he doesn't believe the "three firsts and McCaffrey" offer is even "close to enough" for the deal to happen.

Not trying to be funny, but who gives a fv<k what Joe Banner thinks? Plenty of people think it would be a great deal, but many have also acknowledged that we might even be willing to sweeten the pot if that deal was ever put on the table, particularly if the Dolphins or Jets come stronger.

Edited by top dawg
  • Pie 2
  • Flames 1

3,4,5 picks, chinn, burns,brown, don’t care.  Get it done.  Watson will still be a top 5 QB that even with JAGs can get you to the playoffs still playing at an elite level long after we have turned over those picks.  Don’t even care if the team is gutted for one to three seasons, Watson still has 10 years more than those anyways

• Pie 1

10 minutes ago, t96 said:

Reading comprehension, my friend...

He's basing us making a competitive offer based on how much we offered for Stafford and our aggressive pursuit of a QB, which is very fair reasoning. As to who's in a better position to offer a lot? Frankly, I don't think that comes into play. It just depends on how much we are willing to offer and how much other teams are willing to offer. We have plenty of assets to get it done if we want to be that aggressive. Personally, I don't want to give up too much and hope we don't but I don't see any reason to doubt based on recent developments that we'd be a key player in the discussions if Watson does become available. If Tepper's aggression in wanting an elite franchise QB is as strong as many think it is, we may not hesitate to offer a ton of draft assets in addition to some combo of Burns/McCaffrey/Moore/Chinn/Brown, etc. 

And I'd say that's a lazy assumption on his part.

• Poo 1

19 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Basing Watson going to the Panthers solely on the fact that we're not in conference?

Yeah, that's weak. Especially so when you consider that both the Jets and the Dolphins are in far better position to make substantial offers.

The Jets and Dolphins are also in a FAR better position than we are to draft a young franchise QB without having to trade up. They may not be willing to give up as much since they can just stay where they are and draft Wilson/Fields/Lance.

Some of y'all are acting like Jerry Richardson still runs this team. Tepper is going to make this happen if there's any chance at all a deal can be done.

• Pie 5

The truth is Brown, Burns, Moore, etc, haven’t shown they are any more than players you can find in the draft every year anyways.  This board is full of homers who treat them like future 1st team All pros but in reality they are expendable to a degree any somewhat competent GM can replace them in a few years tops.  In the long run these type of players come and go.  Meanwhile some franchises after half a century haven’t gotten their hands on a QB as impactful as Watson.  

• Pie 3

It is baffling how many people say you trade for Watson no matter what you have to give up because a franchise qb changes everything, even though a Houston playoff team traded away multiple picks to win now, gets a fantastic year from a healthy Watson, and actually LOSES MORE GAMES THAN THE PANTHERS. Wake up people. Yes, make an aggressive offer for Watson. But be reasonable about it. If it doesn't afford you a realistic opportunity to build a complete roster, then we shouldn't do the trade. It's as simple as that. Unless of course your goal isn't super bowl wins and just having a more fun offense to watch. But I'd prefer bigger picture. 

• Pie 4
  • Flames 2