• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

ESPN Predicts Watson to be the Panthers starter in 2021

Big Sexy

18 minutes ago, Jackofalltrades said:

I don't see the value in an elite QB with no supporting cast. Yes they can elevate the play of their teammates but I'm doubtful we have enough pieces to keep him upright.

We had an elite QB in Cam and while we made it to the Super Bowl we didn't win it and his tenure here was marred by inconsistency. Because of both his style of play and a sub-par OL he got beaten up and "ruined." Watson doesn't have the size and stature advantage that Cam had. If we had either a decent OL or the money to build one I'd be far more willing to gamble on him.

I do think Watson is an elite QB and I'd love to have him here, but given the lack of talent and the constraints of our current salary commitments I don't think it makes sense to give up so much. I don't know that he is special enough to overcome all the obvious obstacles. I don't have faith that we could keep him healthy long enough for such an investment to pay dividends.

Look at it like this. How many first round picks will it take to find a franchise QB in the draft like Watson over the next 5-10 years?

It would be a miracle to land an elite QB with our first this year. 

Say we trade up for fields this year (two 1sts) or get Lance at 8 (one first).

What’s the chance they bust or are just meh? 60%? More?

So we try again next year or the year after.

There goes another 1st round pick or two.

The point is, we’re going to spend multiple first rounders finding a QB either way. That’s nfl life.

• Pie 4

7 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

If we don't come out of this off-season with either Watson or Wilson, it's time to half-ass it for Howell.

Next year's slogan? 🤔

Not to be critical, but it doesn't quite have the aesthetic value or the rhythmic quality  of "Tank for Trevor" or "Suck for Luck".

11 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

If we don't come out of this off-season with either Watson or Wilson, it's time to half-ass it for Howell.

You keep alluding to this, but you know it's not happening. Rhule will never sanction half-assing it, and Tepper is seemingly getting impatient.  A lot would have to naturally go wrong for us to have the opportunity to draft Howell, not to mention that there's many months between now and then.

Trading for Watson right now would not be a good move for the panthers. Yea, a franchise QB is worth multiple first round picks and is the most valuable position in the sport, but take a look at this teams roster. Spoiler alert. It is beyond awful. There is no depth anywhere. The offensive line is a mess. The secondary is a mess. There are not tight ends. Depending on how you feel about Shaq Thompson, there is no depth at LB. outside of moore and Anderson there is no WR depth.

we would have a franchise qb with literally nothing else.

• Pie 2

4 minutes ago, Kentucky Panther said:

It’s amazing we have a legit chance to land this dude and there are people on here whining about it. 

Yep.

I mean I’d rather not trade Brian Burns but if Houston says “Watson is yours if you include Burns” I’m cool with it.

There shouldn’t be a dude on this roster that’s untouchable when mentioning a deal for Watson.

• Pie 5
  • Beer 1

38 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Basing Watson going to the Panthers solely on the fact that we're not in conference?

Yeah, that's weak. Especially so when you consider that both the Jets and the Dolphins are in far better position to make substantial offers.

Valid point but Jets and Dolphins also have to be willing to trade those additional assets. It seems Tepper is willing. Jets and Dolphins both have young QBs with unknown potential, they may not be willing to give up more or even as much as the Panthers are. Just because they have assets doesn't mean they'll use them for Watson.

• Flames 1

7 minutes ago, top dawg said:

You keep alluding to this, but you know it's not happening. Rhule will never sanction half-assing it, and Tepper is seemingly getting impatient.  A lot would have to naturally go wrong for us to have the opportunity to draft Howell, not to mention that there's many months between now and then.

If we put Teddy back out there we'll likely be drafting high again, like it or not. I'd rather mortgage the franchise for Howell than for Fields or Lance because honestly I think you're gonna have to trade up for one of them too.

21 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

And I'd say that's a lazy assumption on his part.

Every report out there suggests Tepper is going all in on getting a franchise QB, with Watson being the main target for our front office. You can be in denial all you want, and I understand it as I don't agree with crippling the franchise just to go all in on a QB either, but the information that is out there supports the idea that we'll be making competitive offers for Watson.

There's no reason to think we won't be players at this point. Does that mean we'll be the ones who get him if he is traded? Absolutely not, there are plenty of factors at play, and it could wind up being a huge bidding war with a ton of egos in the mix and any outcome being possible. But to dismiss it at face value like you've been doing based on some random notion that we are unable to offer enough for him to compete with other offers is completely absurd.

• Beer 1

1 minute ago, t96 said:

Every report out there suggests Tepper is going all in on getting a franchise QB, with Watson being the main target for our front office. You can be in denial all you want, and I understand it as I don't agree with crippling the franchise just to go all in on a QB either, but the information that is out there supports the idea that we'll be making competitive offers for Watson.

There's no reason to think we won't be players at this point. Does that mean we'll be the ones who get him if he is traded? Absolutely not, there are plenty of factors at play, and it could wind up being a huge bidding war with a ton of egos in the mix and any outcome being possible. But to dismiss it at face value like you've been doing based on some random notion that we are unable to offer enough for him to compete with other offers is completely absurd.

at the end of the of the day... if Watson is traded, you can bet your ass Tepper offered the farm for him. 

• Flames 1