• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

ESPN Predicts Watson to be the Panthers starter in 2021

Big Sexy

7 minutes ago, Mage said:

There has never, ever been a star player who demanded a trade and it didn't happen.

At the end of the day, the game is the game, and the locker-room is the locker-room.  When your best player vocally wants out, it creates an EXTREMELY toxic environment.  Coaches don't want to deal with it.  Teammates don't want to deal with it.  I 100% guarantee you Culley would rather move on from the situation.  It is a McNair/Easterby move to "keep him," which I don't think they will stick with a few months from now.

Really the only way Watson stays is if he changes his mind.  And what are the Texans gonna be able to do to change that?  They don't have a lot of cap space and no good draft picks. 

They might wait to do it.  But I'm 99.9% sure it will happen.  It always happens.  It just isn't worth it at the end of the day, because for as good as Watson is, you aren't gonna have team-success when your best player is PO'd and not fully committed.  

simply removing the toxic clowns.   Like Easterby.  And then simply start being a man of your word.   I actually don't think it would be hard for Houston to stop this....but Watson wins in almost every scenario.  Think that is the problem for Houston. 

• Pie 1

7 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Yeah, if the rumors are true the Texans absolutely committed self inflicted wounds. You can't tell a guy he's going to be involved in something then shut him out of it and assume he's gonna be okay with that.

Don't know if you're an Athletic subscriber but their article chronicling how it got to this point is a great read.

• Pie 1

3 1sts and CMC plus players who have high contracts. For example 3 1sts, CMC (some people think his is high for a RB), Shaq, and Teddy. Shaq is a solid starter, Teddy is their bridge QB, and CMC keeps people in the stands (when allowed). We dump a ton of salary in CMC, Shaq, and Teddy which allows us to build a team around Watson. Extend Moton, sign a Trent Williams or Samuel and a solid LB. We would still have our 2nd and 3rds to draft potential starters. We basically need to clean up or cap if we are taking Watson’s contract and losing those 1st round picks.

2 minutes ago, CRA said:

simply removing the toxic clowns.   Like Easterby.  And then simply start being a man of your word.   I actually don't think it would be hard for Houston to stop this....but Watson wins in almost every scenario.  Think that is the problem for Houston. 

Exactly! All McNair had to do is get rid of Easterly, and interview a couple of guys they spoke about. Didn't even have to hire those candidates, but at least interview.

20 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I'm not sleeping on them. I like them. I just don't love them and I think they'll both be gone before #8 and I'm not feeling a trade up for one of them. Like I said, of we're gonna mortgage the franchise on a trade for a QB, I want Watson or Lance this year or just wait and take our shot next year. Unless we just absolutely fall in love with Fields or Lance in the pre-draft process, then go for it.

#Freudianslip!

• Pie 1

2 minutes ago, CRA said:

True, but just based on everything I have heard and read, I do not get the impression that McNair would ever even consider firing Easterby.  The Texans are Easterby's team and McNair's the guy empowering him.

And that being the case, there really isn't anything that can be done under that power structure that will change Watson's mind.  Best-case scenario is he says eff it and agrees to play, but now you're talking about a QB who really doesn't want to be there but just plays anyway.  

IMO as crazy as it sounds.  When you consider the Texans lack of immediate draft capital or cap space.  And consider that they will almost certainly suck even with Watson this year.  I actually think you could argue trading Watson would be the best move for their rebuild.  You will get a great player or two and a lot of picks.  But they are not winning anything with Watson in the next 2 years. 

15 minutes ago, TheProcess said:

Yeah, a comment made before he ever had tge chance to get into the locker room and evaluate anything. Did Cam sign a new contract with promises made to him? Making promises to your star player after you traded his top weapon just to get his contract signed, not the same.

>>Everyone wanted to hear what Rhule had to say on the matter, and he wasted no time addressing it.

"I know there will be a lot of questions about Cam (Newton). My son keeps calling me asking me questions, so I figured I'd address that right off the bat," Rhule said.

"From my perspective, I'm unbelievably excited to get to work with Cam. Coming from the outside, you kind of know as a fan, but just on a personal note getting to know him, he is a diligent guy. He's working so hard both in Atlanta and in Carolina to get himself healthy. You meet him, he's this massive man, impressive man, and I've really enjoyed getting to know him. I've enjoyed getting to sit down in the cafeteria when he comes by, sit down in my office. I think he's doing a great job. For me, the way he balances being a great father, the way he balances being a great quarterback, and the things he's done in the community are really, really important. I want to make sure I say that. I'm excited to get him healthy. Obviously, that's the number one goal for us. He's doing a great job of doing his part. We have to make sure we're doing our part as we try to get him healthy for the 2020 season."

OK then. Certainly a strong statement in support of the former NFL MVP.<<

image.thumb.png.c8fc56360f103125b29c7d62e236edb7.png

Edited by SizzleBuzz
  • Poo 1

1 hour ago, kungfoodude said:

I mean....IDK about that. Wilson, Rodgers, Brady are all ahead of him on that list, I would say.

Unquestionably an elite QB, however.

Rodgers maybe is. Saying Brady and Wilson are better is just absolutely insane and tells me you don’t know even the smallest thing about analyzing this game. People have no idea how good he is. He was maybe the best QB in the league last year.

Just now, TheProcess said:

Exactly! All McNair had to do is get rid of Easterly, and interview a couple of guys they spoke about. Didn't even have to hire those candidates, but at least interview.

Unless he's completely out of touch (which I grant is a real possibility) you have to think McNair knows the majority of people want Easterby gone.

And even if McNair doesn't know, I have zero doubt Nick Caserio does. But given their prior connection with the Patriots, will he do anything about it?

1 minute ago, FuFuLamePoo said:

Rodgers maybe is. Saying Brady and Wilson are better is just absolutely insane and tells me you don’t know even the smallest thing about analyzing this game. People have no idea how good he is. He was maybe the best QB in the league last year.

Okay, so you are just an idiot. Well, that makes sense. 

• Pie 1

43 minutes ago, NJPanthers12 said:

Trading for Watson right now would not be a good move for the panthers. Yea, a franchise QB is worth multiple first round picks and is the most valuable position in the sport, but take a look at this teams roster. Spoiler alert. It is beyond awful. There is no depth anywhere. The offensive line is a mess. The secondary is a mess. There are not tight ends. Depending on how you feel about Shaq Thompson, there is no depth at LB. outside of moore and Anderson there is no WR depth.

we would have a franchise qb with literally nothing else.

We could trot out the EXACT same roster as last year, only replacing Teddy with Watson, and win 11 games and make the playoffs.  Teddy killed us that much.

• Pie 2
  • Flames 1

37 minutes ago, Tbe said:

Look at it like this. How many first round picks will it take to find a franchise QB in the draft like Watson over the next 5-10 years?

It would be a miracle to land an elite QB with our first this year. 

Say we trade up for fields this year (two 1sts) or get Lance at 8 (one first).

What’s the chance they bust or are just meh? 60%? More?

So we try again next year or the year after.

There goes another 1st round pick or two.

The point is, we’re going to spend multiple first rounders finding a QB either way. That’s nfl life.

I don't disagree with any of that. I guess my concern is wasting him.

It's a trade off either way. On one hand we gamble on a rookie and have the resources to build around him though with the significantly higher risk of said rookie underperforming. On the other hand you sell the farm for a guy who's young but proven but can't build around him because of the cost of getting him.

In either camp your relying on luck. Luck Watson assimilates to the new system with new players and coaches with superior skill players but deficient protection and subpar D. With a rookie you can given him better protection but that in no way guarantees he'll be able to play in the NFL.

For me the best course was someone like Stafford or Wentz who allowed you to both upgrade at QB and continue to work on other areas of the roster, mainly OL. Alas, that ship seems to have sailed. There may be a few other possibilities along those lines where you can try to win now, still draft your QB of the future and not give up a lot of draft capital. Wishing does no good but I would have loved to see what Cam could have done with someone like Brady as OC.