• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

This throwback makes me happy

shaqattaq

1 minute ago, LinvilleGorge said:

If we were letting him go we should've embraced the tank mindset. Unfortunately, everything I said about Teddy and that signing proved spot on and I have no clue why anyone in the Panthers' organization expected anything other than exactly what we got.

Well, remember who Roaring Riot said was the prime mover on that deal.

Factoring that in makes it a whole lot easier to understand how it happened.

2 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

It just baffles me how Hurney wasn't fired immediately upon a new owner putting pen to paper. I would've been on the phone with Marty while I was signing the paperwork.

• Pie 1

3 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

It just baffles me how Hurney wasn't fired immediately upon a new owner putting pen to paper. I would've been on the phone with Marty while I was signing the paperwork.

Tepper at least seems to now understand that was a mistake.

I'm still iffy on whether or not he turns out to be a good owner. Seeing if he backs off and lets his football people do their jobs will be a big part of answering that question in the years to come.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

3 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

LaCanfora's speculation made it sound like Tepper wanted to replace Newton regardless, basically so he could have "his guy" in there.

Valid? Don't know, but other things I've read do make me wonder.

That's what most rational fans feared beforehand. There was a Keep Cam billboard truck rolling around Charlotte. As things played out, most certainly.

The whole situation including the Teddy signing points to some irrationality.

Now when it comes to replacing our MVP who you cast away like toilet tissue, work your ars off to replace him. We demand it! Who's jersey is he going to sell NOW? Now that #22 is in trade discussions?!

I could go on, but the hits keep coming 😞

Yea the Cam situation was weird. I personally think the HC wanted to keep Cam but Tepper wanted a new QB. That's why there were conflicting reports and it changed up like it did.

IF you're Rhule coming in OFC you'd want a healthy Cam and if you're Joe Brady DUH you already know the OC would want a Cam. 

5 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

Looking at Newton last year, I think most of us agreed letting him go was the right call. Whether it was done for the right reasons is a separate question though.

That we whiffed on our first attempt to replace him is probably not something that would get a lot of argument.

The call was wrong based on who we ended up getting and for how much. We'd be staring at ~$18 mil more in cap space for this offseason.

• Pie 1

6 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

The call was wrong based on who we ended up getting and for how much. We'd be staring at ~$18 mil more in cap space for this offseason.

It's kind of like Two Face's coin.

Probably not a stretch to say that Tepper was likely to move on from Newton regardless. We either needed to get a replacement that was going to be really good (with Justin Herbert likely being our best shot at that, but we fell one pick short) or just roll with somebody that was going to help us get the highest pick possible.

Instead, we did what we always seemed to do under Marty; be just bad enough to miss the playoffs but just good enough to keep us out of range for the best draft prospects.

I'm hoping those years are behind us. I won't miss them at all.

• Pie 1

9 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

It's kind of like Two Face's coin.

Probably not a stretch to say that Tepper was likely to move on from Newton regardless. We either needed to get a replacement that was going to be really good (with Justin Herbert likely being our best shot at that, but we fell one pick short) or just roll with somebody that was going to help us get the highest pick possible.

Instead, we did what we always seemed to do under Marty; be just bad enough to miss the playoffs but just good enough to keep us out of range for the best draft prospects.

I'm hoping those years are behind us. I won't miss them at all.

Boy...what I would do to trade up for Herbert in hindsight. That kid is phenomenal. 

29 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

Boy...what I would do to trade up for Herbert in hindsight. That kid is phenomenal. 

Getzenberg was talking about that in the article referenced by the other thread.

Unless we settle our QB issues soon, we're probably gonna be talking about that for years.

• Beer 2

6 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

Yet, in a article specifically about who wanted and how TBs signing came to pass, Hurney is only mentioned as being at Herberts Pro Day. Strange that the person who was the main factor in forcing Rhule to sign Teddy, is not mentioned at all in regards to wanting TB. Only coaches that liked him before they were even in the NFL, or coached him before.