• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Restructure contacts to free up more cap. Bridgewater, Shaq, etc.

razorwolf

To restructure you have to sweeten the pot for the player.  It saves the team money now, but restricts their options later.  Teddy's deal was front loaded and guaranteed (for the most part) for 2 seasons.  If you want him around for 3 or 4, it will cost the team more guaranteed money over the long haul.

This is like using your credit cards to pay your car payment.  not INTERERSTed (see what I did there?).

• Beer 1

2 hours ago, kungfoodude said:

I think that the thing you are missing is that those restructures are almost always in a player's favor. After all, the contract is signed and both parties agreed to it. So the party that wants to change the terms afterward isn't likely to gain traction. 

Teddy is CERTAINLY not going to accept a lower salary but he might accept converting more of it to bonus money which would lower his cap hit in the short term but also mean we would be plagued with his dead cap money for longer once he is released. That's really the only enticing thing we could offer him and even that I question if he would be interested in. 

It's an absolutely dreadful contract for us. It would be a acceptable contract were he a mid-level NFL starter but he is a backup caliber QB. It's as bad as the Nick Foles, Mike Glennon or Brock Osweiler contracts. 

I don't think it's nearly as dreadful as you do. It's not huge and it's short. It's the 20th qb contract on average per year and only 3 years total with an easy out after 2. I can't see dreadful in that.

2 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

To restructure you have to sweeten the pot for the player.  It saves the team money now, but restricts their options later.  Teddy's deal was front loaded and guaranteed (for the most part) for 2 seasons.  If you want him around for 3 or 4, it will cost the team more guaranteed money over the long haul.

This is like using your credit cards to pay your car payment.  not INTERERSTed (see what I did there?).

If you are the type of player who might get cut and you can get some more salary moved to immediate cash there is appeal there.  Though with Teddy there is no real reason for us to want to do that. Teddy can just be cut after this season to free up 21 million next year. There's no reason for us to tinker with that.

12 minutes ago, Moo Daeng said:

I don't think it's nearly as dreadful as you do. It's not huge and it's short. It's the 20th qb contract on average per year and only 3 years total with an easy out after 2. I can't see dreadful in that.

He has the 13th highest cap number at QB in 2021 and the 10th highest cap number in 2022. That will likely drop one spot with a Dak Prescott deal but other than that, he is likely to remain in the top 12 paid QB's in the NFL.

That is absolutely AWFUL for a backup QB. He isn't any better than Nick Foles is and he is also a backup QB. He is certainly worse than Ryan Fitzpatrick is and he is also a journeyman/backup QB.

11 minutes ago, Moo Daeng said:

If you are the type of player who might get cut and you can get some more salary moved to immediate cash there is appeal there.  Though with Teddy there is no real reason for us to want to do that. Teddy can just be cut after this season to free up 21 million next year. There's no reason for us to tinker with that.

He already got paid $24 mil last year and is on schedule for $10 mil guaranteed this year(which he would get even if we cut him if that is fully guaranteed money). There isn't a dramatic incentive for him to restructure, nor should we bother kicking the can on a player that likely has no future with our team past 2020. 

1 minute ago, kungfoodude said:

He has the 13th highest cap number at QB in 2021 and the 10th highest cap number in 2022. That will likely drop one spot with a Dak Prescott deal but other than that, he is likely to remain in the top 12 paid QB's in the NFL.

That is absolutely AWFUL for a backup QB. He isn't any better than Nick Foles is and he is also a backup QB. He is certainly worse than Ryan Fitzpatrick is and he is also a journeyman/backup QB.

Yeah, I just don't see dreadful or awful. Contracts aren't judged only by their tradability. 

1 minute ago, Moo Daeng said:

Yeah, I just don't see dreadful or awful. Contracts aren't judged only by their tradability. 

Contracts are largely judged on what you get in return. The Foles contract was awful because he couldn't produce to match it. The Brock Osweiler contract was awful because he couldn't produce to match it. The Mike Glennon contract was awful because he couldn't produce to match it.

The Teddy Bridgewater contract is awful because he couldn't produce to match it. 

@Moo Daeng This might illustrate what I am talking about a little bit more, I took performance metrics from a variety of sources to get a broad look at how he performed.

Pay in 2020: 18th

Performance
QBR: 17th
QB Rating: 22nd
QB Yardage: 17th
QB TD: 24th
QB Wins: 23rd
Completion Percentage Above Expectation(NFL Next Gen Stats): 13th
Deep Passes Ranking(The Deep Ball Project): 25th
PFF Ranking: 29th
DVOA(Football Outsiders): 19th
DYAR(Football Outsiders): 18th
AV(Pro Football Reference): 16th

Since this was almost across the board the best season of his career and his performance was at or below his 18th ranked pay, is there much hope he will improve in 2021 or 2022? At that point he becomes a top 12 paid QB. If he merely remains static, it makes that a terrible contract indeed. It would probably represent the worst active QB contract in the NFL IF that happens. 

13 minutes ago, SizzleBuzz said:

What incentive does Teddy have to agree to restructure?

It would depend on how much base was curious inverted to bonus/guarantee, but Carolina seemingly has little ncentive since it would commit to a third year and/or beyond unless the strategy is to kick cap hit down the road. The contract itself is already only 3 years though so the team doesn't have much wiggle room. The contract itself was a gamble and the team, quite predictably, lost, so now they have to pay for it.

Edited by KSpan

13 minutes ago, SizzleBuzz said:

What incentive does Teddy have to agree to restructure?

Literally almost none. Furthermore, I don't see what real incentive we have to restructure him. I'd rather take the hit now and have more money in the future than spread out a hit over years that we will likely need that money to sign our core players. 

• Pie 1

1 minute ago, BurnNChinn said:

He is either getting cut or traded. 99 percent sure it’s cut no one will trade for him. Tepper threw him under with his interview about what u need in a qb to win SB you think anyone is trading for him now. He is gone no restructure.

Teddy threw the team/staff under first. Who know what was happening eh nd closed doors but publicly he definitely stepped out with the playcall comment, followed by the extension fumble at the goal line.

• Beer 1
  • Flames 1

2 hours ago, hepcat said:

Shaq Thompson has 1 more year on the panthers until he is cut and moves up to Buffalo 

Hopefully, Bridgewater will be a backup QB to a rookie QB by the end of the 2021 season

Next offseason the team finally gets a chance to build a good roster 

rumor on reddit that Shaq just unfollowed the Panthers as well.