• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Restructure contacts to free up more cap. Bridgewater, Shaq, etc.

razorwolf

7 minutes ago, Harbingers said:

Our best hope from an overall view is to trade teddy for a second or third round after June first to a team in dire need of a QB, such as one who losses their starting QB in training camp. Anything else and he's a flat loss books wise.

Oh I didn't mean to trade him FOR a draft pick, I meant to give up a draft pick for someone to take him. I don't think there would be any serious interest for even a late round draft pick. His contract is fuging terrible. 

1 minute ago, kungfoodude said:

Oh I didn't mean to trade him FOR a draft pick, I meant to give up a draft pick for someone to take him. I don't think there would be any serious interest for even a late round draft pick. His contract is fuging terrible. 

Ya in reality you are correct. I was just saying the best case scenario with teddy at this point cap/contract wise for us. Is to offload him to a team that needs a "Starting" QB training camp or early next season due to injury post june sixth. Anything else and we losing a serious chunk of space.

• Beer 1

1 minute ago, razorwolf said:

Maybe I'm just mis-reading the information I'm reading contract wise. Y'all may have a better understanding of the details!

I think that the thing you are missing is that those restructures are almost always in a player's favor. After all, the contract is signed and both parties agreed to it. So the party that wants to change the terms afterward isn't likely to gain traction. 

Teddy is CERTAINLY not going to accept a lower salary but he might accept converting more of it to bonus money which would lower his cap hit in the short term but also mean we would be plagued with his dead cap money for longer once he is released. That's really the only enticing thing we could offer him and even that I question if he would be interested in. 

It's an absolutely dreadful contract for us. It would be a acceptable contract were he a mid-level NFL starter but he is a backup caliber QB. It's as bad as the Nick Foles, Mike Glennon or Brock Osweiler contracts. 

• Pie 1

20 minutes ago, razorwolf said:

Restructuring would only effect this year

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/1548103-breaking-down-restructuring-contracts-and-why-its-damaging-in-the-long-run#:~:text=Essentially%2C restructuring a deal involves,lowers this year's cap number.

Look at the Saints. Their cap is a direct result of annual restructuring of star contracts.

Edited by Pup McBarky
  • Beer 1

The biggest issue is it would commit us to both players in 2021 when it seems like neither is a given. Technically we can save money by cutting or trading either this year. Why take that off the table for cap money we're not remotely desperate for at this time? If they were clearly in the plans for 2021, maybe it's not totally unreasonable, but two players underperforming their contract that have outs feasibly this year and easily next year aren't who you honor with more guaranteed money.

Teddy's contract is structured in a way its easy to move on after this season. Restructuring would only change that. Only reason for that is iff he plays and plays great and we want to keep him.

Shaq's contract is already structured in a way he can be cut at time with some cap relief. Every year it gets a little easier and and with more relief so I wouldn't touch it unless you know you want to keep him around longer. I'm not sure that's the case.

Edited by Moo Daeng
  • Beer 2

We all love cap space, but there's no reason to get drunk on it just yet.  Especially by kicking the can down the road and leaving ourselves with dead cap year after year after year.  

You restructure players you want to keep around a couple more years, or when you're desperate. We shouldn't be desperate since we're not a contender, and we sure as poo shouldn't want Teddy around any longer than he has to be. 

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

1 hour ago, Pup McBarky said:

Thinks for the article!

• Beer 1

Let’s not pretend Teddy isn’t a starter in the NFL, he’s a game manager and he has limitations but in the right system (which we have) you can win games with Teddy Bridgewater.  Yes we will have to rely more on CMC, and yes we would be better off with a QB who can hit the deep ball constantly to take advantage of our stud wideouts , but those guys don’t grow on trees.  

Im half the front office is being aggressive about getting their guy, and I’m sure Teddy has some perceived value if they shopped him. They could probably get a 4th/5th or so for him.  He wouldn’t be particularly expensive to the acquiring team as the panthers would have to eat some of the money and he’s easy to cut next off-season for nothing.  Plenty of teams looking for QB competition or depth.  

I actually wouldn’t be shocked if he was traded as from what I understand it would be better to the panthers  cap then cutting him.

13 minutes ago, NJPanthers89 said:

Let’s not pretend Teddy isn’t a starter in the NFL, he’s a game manager and he has limitations but in the right system (which we have) you can win games with Teddy Bridgewater.  Yes we will have to rely more on CMC, and yes we would be better off with a QB who can hit the deep ball constantly to take advantage of our stud wideouts , but those guys don’t grow on trees.  

Im half the front office is being aggressive about getting their guy, and I’m sure Teddy has some perceived value if they shopped him. They could probably get a 4th/5th or so for him.  He wouldn’t be particularly expensive to the acquiring team as the panthers would have to eat some of the money and he’s easy to cut next off-season for nothing.  Plenty of teams looking for QB competition or depth.  

I actually wouldn’t be shocked if he was traded as from what I understand it would be better to the panthers  cap then cutting him.

Teddy should not be considered a starter and this year showed exactly why. Top-tier backup for a very solid squad, absolutely, but while his floor may be higher than some bottom-tier starters he has zero ceiling or dynamic to his game. That alone puts a hard limit on what all but the most talent-rich teams could accomplish (e.g. NO last year).

I say this because IMO no rational team will trade for him and his contract unless they are planning on not winning a Super Bowl this year. Maybe it happens and agreed that it would be to Carolina's advantage if it does but it's highly unlikely.

• Beer 1

Rebuilds done right don't happen quickly.  We are currently on course for an EXTREMELY fast rebuild.  2021 is the last year where our cap is in a bad place.  Let's not screw that up by pushing the pain into 2022.

We were able to compete in 2020 with no offseason, a new staff and a weak roster.  The roster WILL get better this year.  Maybe not as fast as we'd like, but it WILL improve.  Our staff will have an actual offseason to get things right.  The staff will now have actual NFL experience.

We aren't talking playoffs here, but with the right signings, draft picks and a healthy CMC we could win 7 games next year.  Maybe 8 at a push.  To me, that would be outstanding progress.

Edited by BrianS
  • Pie 1

48 minutes ago, NJPanthers89 said:

He has only been a starter in the NFL in one out of three stops since his return from injury. It was here and he largely proved that he was a backup caliber QB.