• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Roster Holes and The Case For Trading Down/Accumulating Draft Picks

hepcat

Who cares if we're a "playoff team" if we're 1-and-done because we have no QB?

We could fill all those holes with Pro Bowlers and still not be legit Super Bowl contenders with Teddy Bridgewater at QB. Just look at the Bucs; 7-9 with the same core team in 2019, Super Bowl champs with Tom Brady.

Fill the hole at QB first. Otherwise, nothing else really matters.

Edited by Jay Roosevelt
  • Pie 3
  • Flames 1

It's tough to say what our course will be this offseason. If the Watson rumors are true, you almost have to throw the playbook out the window and just see what the inevitable cost will be before you chart a course in the draft. That is assuming it happens before the draft.

If you remove Watson from the equation, you have to tag Moton until you get a deal in place especially with this new chunk of money available to spend. Then I think it comes down to who you really like in the draft at QB. IMO, it's unlikely we get a shot at one of the top 4 QB's in the draft at 8. If you like one or more of those guys, do you package to trade UP rather than trade down? If you decide to stand pat at #8, I think we need to see what is available at LT. If we can land a top 2 OT prospect in the draft, I would be reticent to trade down, as well. I might even make the same argument for an elite CB there.

Other than that, I would try and trade into the teens to add some additional picks. Given the dire situation at OL, it would be nice to bolster this years picks and compensatory picks or add some 1st, 2nd or 3rd round picks next year. Ideally, given that this is a strong OL class, I would like to see at least 3 OL drafted in 2021. 

Rule #1 in today’s NFL draft should be as follows: If you do not have a “franchise QB” and you are in a position to draft a “ franchise QB” you draft him.

Rule #2 should be as follows: If you suspect a “franchise QB” is close to your draft position but likely not to make it to you then due diligence requires an attempt move up. The amount you are willing to pay to move up will be driven by the degree of confidence you have in that QB’s franchise abilities.

I agree with the original poster that Bridgewater is clearly not a “ franchise QB”. I also agree that the Panthers are likely to be better next season. However, I think this augers in favor of drafting a franchise QB this year because the cost to move up next season will be even greater.

I even agree with the proposition that the Panthers could back into the playoffs next season with a quality season offseason. However, the stated goal of David Tepper is to win championships. That certainly is my hope. I am tired of occasionally making the playoffs and losing. That will be the fate of this team until at least one or two years after drafting a franchise QB.

Do not put it off would be my motto. Delayed gratification can be overrated.

• Pie 2

The plan should have been to start Grier last season and draft Lawrence or Fields. That idea was never considered, and neither was losing to Washington.

Now we're in danger of multi-season QB limbo with no chance of winning a SB.

So what should we do from this bad position?

If Trey Lance is available at 8, then we have to take him unless our scouts don't think he's worth it. Then it's either hit or miss on Trey. He's boom or bust.

If the top 4 QB's come off the board then we will get good trade offers imo. That's because those 4 QB picks will push a highly coveted player into our lap. We could be looking at Jalen Waddle, Kyle Pitts, Micah Parsons, and Patrick Surtain II. Some team is going to want one of those players enough to make us an offer. Our roster is swiss cheese, so trading down is the obvious choice.

Once we move down go by bpa at a position of need. Preferably o-line, TE, and secondary.

With the o-line rebuilt we become a more attractive team for free agent QBs, and we can better protect a rookie QB if we draft one in 2022.

Last season's mistakes have come home to roost. We might have to extend our QB search to 2022 assuming Trey Lance is not seen as a good potential franchise QB.

• Beer 1

If no one wants to trade with us, then select Jalen Waddle, and shore up the o-line secondary with the rest of the draft.

With CMC, Jalen, DJ, Curtis, and Robby you have enough firepower to turn TB's mid and short passes into explosive plays. We'd be a match up nightmare for opposing DCs, and the improved o-line would see TB's stats soar. Not saying TB is the answer long term, but he's under contract and he might be our best option for next season depending on how the draft shakes out.

2 hours ago, Jay Roosevelt said:

Who cares if we're a "playoff team" if we're 1-and-done because we have no QB?

We could fill all those holes with Pro Bowlers and still not be legit Super Bowl contenders with Teddy Bridgewater at QB. Just look at the Bucs; 7-9 with the same core team in 2019, Super Bowl champs with Tom Brady.

Fill the hole at QB first. Otherwise, nothing else really matters.

Put Tom Brady on half the rosters in the NFL and those teams are sniffing the Super Bowl. 

59 minutes ago, pantherj said:

The plan should have been to start Grier last season and draft Lawrence or Fields. That idea was never considered, and neither was losing to Washington.

Now we're in danger of multi-season QB limbo with no chance of winning a SB.

So what should we do from this bad position?

If Trey Lance is available at 8, then we have to take him unless our scouts don't think he's worth it. Then it's either hit or miss on Trey. He's boom or bust.

If the top 4 QB's come off the board then we will get good trade offers imo. That's because those 4 QB picks will push a highly coveted player into our lap. We could be looking at Jalen Waddle, Kyle Pitts, Micah Parsons, and Patrick Surtain II. Some team is going to want one of those players enough to make us an offer. Our roster is swiss cheese, so trading down is the obvious choice.

Once we move down go by bpa at a position of need. Preferably o-line, TE, and secondary.

With the o-line rebuilt we become a more attractive team for free agent QBs, and we can better protect a rookie QB if we draft one in 2022.

Last season's mistakes have come home to roost. We might have to extend our QB search to 2022 assuming Trey Lance is not seen as a good potential franchise QB.

Overall I agree signing Bridgewater was a huge mistake. They should have kept Kyle Allen in my opinion. He is pretty much the same caliber QB as Bridgewater. 

The most likely scenario the Panthers are facing is the top QB prospects will be gone by 8. So the options are trading up for a QB or free agency. And the options aren’t great there. 

To me, there are really way too many holes on the roster to make a big trade for a QB. The Stafford deal was reasonable, but I am pretty against mortgaging future seasons for any QB including Watson. If this team was playoff ready and stacked with talent, but was just limited by having Teddy at QB, this is a different conversation. But who could honestly say the Panthers roster is any better than Houston’s was in 2020? Watson could put up monster stats and the Panthers still lose a butt load of games because their roster is ass.

Bridgewater could win on a team that doesn’t need him to win every game in the 4th quarter. I think continuing to build the defense and letting CMC, Moore, and Anderson make big plays is a decent recipe if they can’t get a top rookie QB prospect.

• Pie 2