• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Justin Fields concerns

AU-panther

What Reportedly Concerns NFL Teams About Justin Fields (msn.com)

Interesting article that talks about some concerns that teams have about Fields.  Apparently some think he doesn't go through progressions as well as they would like.

According to the article one team at the senior bowl claimed they looked at all of his passes in 2020 and only seven times did he look off of his first read.

If this is true, how much of that is him not having the ability or could some be the system he plays in?

He defiantly has the tools, if you want a QB to drop back and throw to his first target he is as talented as anyone, Trevor included.  I want to say his accuracy numbers are the best of the bunch and he has above average velocity also.

It would be hard for me to pass on him if he fell to 8, but I can see some of the concerns also.

“The main concern is that Justin Fields stares down the primary target. He doesn’t look away from the primary target. He doesn’t process things as quickly as they want him to. During the Senior Bowl, I mentioned how there was one team who has broken down all of Justin Fields’ passes in 2020. They said that just seven times, he looked off the primary target. The other 200+ passes he threw to his primary target.”

Do we have the coach who can help him? 

How long will it take?  (Josh Allen--took 2 years)

Edited by MHS831
  • Pie 1

I've seen some BBs with Lance moving ahead of Fields.  I predicted this would happen, but it doesn't bode well for us getting Lance if he becomes the consensus #3 QB behind Lawrence and Wilson.  I would absolutely gag if the Falcons drafted him.  Philly, the Lions, yeah that would suck, but the freaking Falcons?  Barf!!!

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, FuFuLamePoo said:

Racist piece. Move on

Based on what? Everything in that article is 100% accurate. This isn't some "Fake smile, narcissistic con artist" bullshit we heard with Cam.

He struggles making reads because he stares down his first read too long. Its prevalent in the Alabama, Northwestern and the Indiana games.

Its a matter of whether the scheme is limiting him (Herbert) or if he is simply slow through his reads because he's been able to get by on sheer athleticism he hasn't needed to (Josh Allen, Lamar Jackson) or if he flat out can't make them (Haskins)

He is just as raw as Trey Lance in the sense you'll have to mold him into a pro QB and build him up. The difference between the 2 is we've seen Fields light up big time schools (Clemson game comes to mind). His talent and leadership are there. If our coaches think they can build him into the star he can be, I'm all in.

• Pie 1

2 hours ago, MHS831 said:

“The main concern is that Justin Fields stares down the primary target. He doesn’t look away from the primary target. He doesn’t process things as quickly as they want him to. During the Senior Bowl, I mentioned how there was one team who has broken down all of Justin Fields’ passes in 2020. They said that just seven times, he looked off the primary target. The other 200+ passes he threw to his primary target.”

Do we have the coach who can help him? 

How long will it take?  (Josh Allen--took 2 years)

Yet Lance ran a pro-style system at NDSU, but since it's a FCS school and not a top 25 FBS school, he's completely dismissed.

• Beer 1

I’ve said the same thing since I starting researching QBs around week 8 of the season. Trey Lance too. I’m sure it’s 100% because of their systems, but that doesn’t change the fact that we haven’t seen them do it yet. They’re both bigger risks.  Wouldn’t be mad if we took either though, assuming Wilson is already gone. 

8 hours ago, OldhamA said:

It's the OSU system - but unfortunately it means you have to rebuild him from the ground up once he gets into the NFL.

He has the physical tools.

If you gave me a choice between a quarterback who has great physical tools but lesser mental skills versus one with top mental ability but lesser physical skills, I'm taking the latter every time.

As to Fields, and college quarterbacks in general, very few college systems challenge quarterbacks anymore.

• Pie 1