• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

David Tepper.... year 3

TheBigKat

Overall thoughts on the guy, I am HAPPY this guy is the one writing the checks

Never in my 20+ years following the team have I seen such a dedication of resources to having an overall great organization

True training facilities

No cap restraints on paying for the best possible coach out there (Rhule contract was INSANE)

Diligence in the GM process

Refusal of mediocrity

Finding a loophole to "safeguard" the Richardson statue

Soon to be new stadium

You don't buy $76 million dollar homes because you are fixated on Jeans Fridays

He does have a "bit" of Snyder in him with his comments at time but the guy is a hands on owner who is committed to running a first class organization. I would rather have a guy like him then a cheap ass like the Brown family (Bengals owner)

Scott Fitterer worked in SEA when Paul Allen owned the Seahawks who at the time was the richest owner in the NFL and now comes to Carolina and works currently for the richest owner in the NFL. 

Having an owner with deep pockets and a desire to win is important

https://www.syracuse.com/buffalo-bills/2020/06/buffalo-bills-owner-no-negative-financial-situation-will-impact-franchises-ability-to-extend-sean-mcdermott-brandon-beane.html

• Pie 4

12 minutes ago, KSpan said:

So far he's made some significant mistakes IMO, but he seems to be vested in turning things around and is moving that way with actual action. I think this offseason and the next 12 months will be very telling.

What significant mistakes do you feel he’s made?

6 minutes ago, TheSpecialJuan said:

Tepper should have fired Marty last offseason 

Tepper already explained that he had to get his bearings. I don't know what else you want from him.

12 minutes ago, TheBigKat said:

People will whine about Marty Hurney. 

14 minutes ago, TheBigKat said:

Keeping Ron and Marty in 2019 chiefly (Tepper's public comments being applicable or not), followed by feeling that his comments on the QB position this offseason really put the team in a corner.

Edited by KSpan
  • Pie 1

his biggest mistake was trusting Hurney and Joe Brady in year 1/2, which led to the Teddy Twoyard disaster after the "football guys" vouched for him.

Since then it sounds like he's been more hands on, and is the only reason we're even in the Watson hunt, which normally hyper conservative risk averse "football guys" would never try because they are all scared shrinking violets afraid to rock the boat in any way that could lead to less job security. 

If he gets Watson, he's already done more for the franchise than Leg Shaver did in 25 years.  If he fails, then he has nothing but a legacy of failure so far.

• Pie 2

8 minutes ago, top dawg said:

Tepper already explained that he had to get his bearings. I don't know what else you want from him.

Even Tepper himself has seemed to acknowledge that he kept Marty too long.

I suspect if Scott Fitterer does a good job as GM, Tepper's going to get an even better perspective on just how big a mistake that was.

19 minutes ago, TheBigKat said:

Keeping Marty too long (or at all). This equates to a lot of player/contract mistakes 

Keeping Rivera too long.

Keeping Cam too long (but this may fall on Hurney).

That said he was still learning. People wanted instant gratification and ignored the learning curve. Everyone makes mistakes, it happens. It’s about what you do about them. Franchises like the Browns, Jets, Cowboys to the extent keep making them. That’s the difference. The jury is still out on Tepper.

It appears to me however he is a quick learner and changes things quickly when a mistake is made. I believe the slow moves in the beginning were part of his earning curve NOT his normal way of handling things.

I’m ok with it. We’ll see year 5-6 what he’s really about.

11 minutes ago, top dawg said:

There was literally >a decade of data available on Hurney. If Tepper, a self-proclained analytics guy, chose to remain blind to his history and/or the GM landscape then that is also a mistake. It's on him either way.

Edited by KSpan

As to my grade I've been saying "incomplete" and I still say it.

He did gain some respect from me by finally moving on from Marty, but more so for deferring to what Matt Rhule wanted in a GM.

When he first started talking about non-traditional models and doing things differently and blah blah blah, I remember thinking "Oh crap, we're gonna screw this up and hire some Marty Hurney/Howie Roseman type so Tepper can act like he's the smartest guy in the room".

Thankfully, that didn't happen