• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Peter King on Panthers and Deshaun Watson

TheSpecialJuan

16 minutes ago, Brooklyn 3.0 said:

So if Watson DOES come here, and if he sort of poos the bed this season, I'm curious ... who will everyone blame for the team not doing well? Because, as I can tell so far on this forum, Watson = playoffs. So yeah ... let's go ahead and point the fingers now. Thanks.

Same story as Newton. It would be anyone and everyone but tge QB

26 minutes ago, Brooklyn 3.0 said:

So if Watson DOES come here, and if he sort of poos the bed this season, I'm curious ... who will everyone blame for the team not doing well? Because, as I can tell so far on this forum, Watson = playoffs. So yeah ... let's go ahead and point the fingers now. Thanks.

Watson shitting the bed would be like the fourth best QB season in Panthers history.

• Pie 3
  • Beer 3

If the rebuild is going to be successful in Carolina, I expected the team to make a strong playoff run in year 3 or 4...not year two.  We had a strong draft last year. Despite our 11 losses, we literally had a chance to win 8 of those games on our last possession...and we did that with a fairly mediocre roster, no CMC, and an average QB.

Those players from the 2020 draft should get better in 2021.  But, we still have some big holes on the team roster. Donte Jackson was the only CB to get an INT last year. The team only had 29 sacks last year. One player (Brian Burns) had 9 of them. Our O-line is below average. We need to have another strong draft to address those issues. If we nail the 2021 draft we could pick up another 3 or 4 starters. We'd then be in position to give up some picks to move up in the 2022 draft to nab a guy or make a run at a veteran via trade or Free Agency. If we can improve the o-line, secondary, and add pass rusher I really believe Carolina would be a desirable destination for a veteran QB in 2022

I wouldn't give up all those picks for D. Watson (who I love as a QB) or Wilson, Fields, or Lance. We need to stay put. As for QB, I'd ride with Teddy (Shudder). Besides, if he had a better O-line, a healthy CMC, better defense, and the knowledge that we all want to move on to another guy, it may light a fire under him and actually make him play better.

• Beer 2

45 minutes ago, Brooklyn 3.0 said:

If it is not an injury based shitting the bed, it obviously puts the whole franchise on the hot seat. Then you go from looking like an aggressive staff, front office and owner to looking like early Dan Snyder and the Foreskins. 

However, if it is just one bad season and he returns to form, that would dissipate quickly.

2 hours ago, Carl Spackler said:

When did DJ Moore become a JAG

Once we basically sell the farm to by Watson's favor, you can pretty much write off everyone else on the team. When DJ's contract time comes around, he'll be too expensive based on what little, tiny bit of cap space we have left. Pretty much the same for anyone else we don't trade away to get Watson.

Really, let's just keep working at building our team and quit trying to buy something off the shelf at a wild premium. And that's even if Houston is willing to give him up. Heck, prices might fall amazingly if he has another season playing for the Texans. 

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, kungfoodude said:

This isn't the first idiotic take he has had on here that completely backfired on him. It's kind of his calling card. 

The only idiotic takes in this thread are those that feel we should give up anything close to what the Peter King article suggested for Watson (or any combination of multiple 1st rd picks, starters from the Panthers roster, etc).

The Texans will want too much in return for Watson. This is not up for debate! Unless you want the Panthers to get taken to the cleaners with a horrific deal, move on from the idea Watson will be a Panther. Enough is enough. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

7 minutes ago, Khyber53 said:

Once we basically sell the farm to by Watson's favor, you can pretty much write off everyone else on the team. When DJ's contract time comes around, he'll be too expensive based on what little, tiny bit of cap space we have left. Pretty much the same for anyone else we don't trade away to get Watson.

right now we have 130 million of free cap space when DJ's contract comes up for extension....
image.png.ce06ef9950f3848b916248ff1cd78e4e.png

• Pie 2

3 minutes ago, TheCasillas said:

right now we have 130 million of free cap space when DJ's contract comes up for extension....
image.png.ce06ef9950f3848b916248ff1cd78e4e.png

It's relatively good but we have 21 players under contract so that will get utilized as expected. The two teams with fewer players under contract have more cap space than us for 2022.