• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Peter King on Panthers and Deshaun Watson

TheSpecialJuan

2 minutes ago, TheProcess said:

Robbie Anderson?  That would surprise me. Why would they have interest in him at this point with only one year on his contract?

They likely recognize what they lost when Fuller went down, and Robby is a similar type of player.  

11 minutes ago, Verge said:

I don't believe we will trade Burns but everything else is pretty on the spot. 

No way you get rid of Burns. We only had 29 sacks last year. He had 9 of them. He hasn't even entered his prime yet. Pass rushers...on rookie contracts...are arguably the most coveted defensive players in a pass happy NFL.

1 minute ago, Verge said:

If and I say if we get Deshaun Watson and lose Robby, I would imagine Will Fuller would make a ton of sense on a 2 year low risk deal similar to what Robby got. 

I was going to add that to my response, but we would need a discount as Fuller will miss the start of the season.

3 minutes ago, TheMaulClaw said:

Not that bad. Trade Robbie and CMC but you can resign Curt and draft an RB.  

It's already going to be difficult to re-sign Samuel. The cap hit involved with trading McCaffrey would make it damn near impossible.

Voth has pretty well established that McCaffrey is untradable so any speculation of a deal involving him isn't very realistic.

• Pie 1
  • Poo 1

57 minutes ago, TheCasillas said:

right now we have 130 million of free cap space when DJ's contract comes up for extension....
image.png.ce06ef9950f3848b916248ff1cd78e4e.png

And that's an awful lot to work with. Watson's expected to cost $35 million, which doesn't sound bad, but if we picked say a QB at #8, we're looking at I believe a contract of $2.8 million... leaving us about $32 million to work with for say O-line, retaining DJ, Burns' contract, etc...

Just saying, Watson might be worth that $35 million on the open market, but the opportunity cost of us taking him gets steep considering the other things we can do with that money.

Just now, Khyber53 said:

And that's an awful lot to work with. Watson's expected to cost $35 million, which doesn't sound bad, but if we picked say a QB at #8, we're looking at I believe a contract of $2.8 million... leaving us about $32 million to work with for say O-line, retaining DJ, Burns' contract, etc...

Just saying, Watson might be worth that $35 million on the open market, but the opportunity cost of us taking him gets steep considering the other things we can do with that money.

I've mentioned this before in many other threads... wherever DW lands... his contract will be restructured and extended. The current contract was a deperation contract by the Texans. DW can still get the same amount of money and not have such a cap impact. 

I believe DW may be the first qb to take on a standarized contract. 

1 minute ago, Verge said:

If and I say if we get Deshaun Watson and lose Robby, I would imagine Will Fuller would make a ton of sense on a 2 year low risk deal similar to what Robby got. 

It really worries me when someone with your good track record seems to think this ridiculous trade has a chance of getting done. 

This is a Herschel Walker type of trade, and we all know how that one worked out for Minnesota. Granted, unlike RB, an elite QB is the keystone to a great team, but if we give away our chance to build through the draft for the next several years, how are we going to make the most of the first few years of Watson's contract?

I love the idea of getting a QB like Watson, but not if he's scrambling behind a piss poor line, throwing to sub par targets for 2-3 years. We've already seen how that plays out. 

• Pie 1