• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Peter King on Panthers and Deshaun Watson

TheSpecialJuan

1 minute ago, Panther'sBigD said:

It really worries me when someone with your good track record seems to think this ridiculous trade has a chance of getting done. 

This is a Herschel Walker type of trade, and we all know how that one worked out for Minnesota. Granted, unlike RB, an elite QB is the keystone to a great team, but if we give away our chance to build through the draft for the next several years, how are we going to make the most of the first few years of Watson's contract?

I love the idea of getting a QB like Watson, but not if he's scrambling behind a piss poor line, throwing to sub par targets for 2-3 years. We've already seen how that plays out. 

Someone is going to trade a ridiculous amount for Deshaun Watson, that is going to happen. Jay Cutler got two 1sts, Khalil Mack got two 1sts, Laremy Tunsil got two 1sts, and Deshaun Watson is 10x the value of all those players. I already made a big long post on why it is worth it, and I stand by that. 

• Pie 6
  • Beer 2

Any trade that allows us to keep our defense, get rid of a couple of bad contracts, and a one year deal in Robby (who cares)...I'm listening.  The deals where we give up Burns/Chinn/Brown are the offers I'd have to hang up on. 

That said, put it elsewhere...but I have a hard time imagining Tepper getting outbid.  If the Texans make Watson available and ask for the moon, Tepper's hard-on may give them the moon.  

• Beer 1

3 minutes ago, Verge said:

Someone is going to trade a ridiculous amount for Deshaun Watson, that is going to happen. Jay Cutler got two 1sts, Khalil Mack got two 1sts, Laremy Tunsil got two 1sts, and Deshaun Watson is 10x the value of all those players. I already made a big long post on why it is worth it, and I stand by that. 

I agree on all points, I just hope the someone isn't the Panthers. 

• Pie 1

Is it just me, or are most small-market -- bigger market proposed trades always in favor of the bigger market? 

The Panthers would be better off trading CMC, Robby Anderson, and Brian Burns (according to this proposal) and using those picks to move up--saving the first rounders.  I think you could get a first for CMC and Burns and maybe a third for Anderson.  That would give you 3 firsts (2021 included) and a third to move up with Miami, for example. 

Edited by MHS831

5 minutes ago, Panther'sBigD said:

I agree on all points, I just hope the someone isn't the Panthers. 

If I thought we were a quarterback away, I'd be okay with it.

For a team that's still rebuilding and has a lot of roster holes, especially on the offensive line, it's not something I can get on board with.

• Pie 1

1 minute ago, Mr. Scot said:

If I thought we were a quarterback away, I'd be okay with it.

For a team that's still rebuilding and has a lot of roster holes, especially on the offensive line, it's not something I can get on board with.

i wish you worked for the panthers front office so you could tell this to tepper and fitterer

• Pie 2

1 hour ago, TheCasillas said:

right now we have 130 million of free cap space when DJ's contract comes up for extension....
image.png.ce06ef9950f3848b916248ff1cd78e4e.png

God I wish Marty Hurney were here.  We need him during times of surplus cash.  Where have you gone, Marty H--Panther nation turns its lonely eyes to you...

17 minutes ago, Verge said:

Yep. These posts talking about how Watson's value may be decreasing with time simply aren't realistic. He's a 25 year old MVP caliber QB. Those guys never become available. When it comes time to move him, the haul is gonna be insane.

Denver trading Cutler to Chicago is probably the closest comparison I can think of to Watson potentially being traded, but Cutler was nowhere near Watson's level. Cutler was probably a borderline top 10 QB at the time who showed the potential to be more. He went for two 1sts, a 3rd, and Kyle Orton who was a serviceable starting QB.

• Beer 1

27 minutes ago, Verge said:

If and I say if we get Deshaun Watson and lose Robby, I would imagine Will Fuller would make a ton of sense on a 2 year low risk deal similar to what Robby got. 

I was wondering why I’ve been hearing Will Fuller to the Panthers on a lot of reports. I was like he won’t be cheap especially since we are letting Samuel walk.

28 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

It's already going to be difficult to re-sign Samuel. The cap hit involved with trading McCaffrey would make it damn near impossible.

Voth has pretty well established that McCaffrey is untradable so any speculation of a deal involving him isn't very realistic.

He didn't establish him being "untradeable" he just alluded to what many people already knew, which was trading him entails a large chunk of dead cap this offseason. In the deal King proposed(which is actually fairly ridiculous, IMO) we would actually end up with more cap space free, not less.

I've sat back and watched the catfight over DeShaun Watson play out over the past few weeks while thinking about the best way to post my thoughts.

As much as I think Watson would be a franchise QB, it's not going to happen if you have to give up the few building blocks the team already has. Giving up the draft picks necessary to build an O-line and a few players on D, while also trading a major offensive weapon in CMC and/or a WR makes no sense. 

You've created a team which is much worse than last year's by losing starting players and gave up the draft picks necessary to replace them just so you could land a QB... who, by the way, no longer has one of the best RBs in the game and one of the best WR corps in the league, not to mention a suspect O-line that's not getting fixed any time soon under this scenario.

• Pie 2