• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Peter King on Panthers and Deshaun Watson

TheSpecialJuan

2 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

The biggest knock on any trade package we can offer is that it doesn't include an answer at QB. They shouldn't want Teddy and one reason why we're likely so desperate to trade for Watson is that #8 looks to likely be on the outside looking in on the top QB prospects in this year's draft. The Jets and Dolphins not only have young QBs with potential upside to offer, they also have a pick that is guaranteed to be able to secure one of the top QB prospects in this year's draft if that's the direction the Texans want to go.

I totally agree that our lack of QB to offer will be our biggest disadvantage compared to the Jets and/or Miami, but there is a chance it could work in our favor.

The Jets and Miami could both decide they are happy not trading for Watson.  They might be less willing to go all in so to speak.  Maybe the Jets decide to only offer two 1st since one of them is the 2nd pick this year.

Wilson + multiple 1st + $30m in cap space each year for the next 4-5 years isn't a bad backup plan.

It really could go either way, and that is even if the Texans decide to trade him.

4 minutes ago, AU-panther said:

I totally agree that our lack of QB to offer will be our biggest disadvantage compared to the Jets and/or Miami, but there is a chance it could work in our favor.

The Jets and Miami could both decide they are happy not trading for Watson.  They might be less willing to go all in so to speak.  Maybe the Jets decide to only offer two 1st since one of them is the 2nd pick this year.

Wilson + multiple 1st + $30m in cap space each year for the next 4-5 years isn't a bad backup plan.

It really could go either way, and that is even if the Texans decide to trade him.

I do question how big the Watson package would be to the Jets or Dolphins. If we are to believe that the 2nd or 3rd overall pick in this draft is worth at least another 1st round draft pick and additional picks(I have seen it mocked as much as for two firsts), it seems to me like I wouldn't be particularly eager to just give that up so willingly with another two firsts and other picks stacked on top of it. After all, if you just trade down in the draft, you could also potentially gain a fuging haul. 

1 minute ago, BurnNChinn said:

Just listening to Voth of wins podcast funny how he was being an ass to a lot of people on Twitter about Deshaun trade but now says there is fire behind the talk. Sorry @Mr. Scot u can’t ruin this one for me!

I don't really care whether I "ruin it for you" (or anybody else) or not.

What happens will happen regardless of whether we're all unicorns farting rainbows or Oscar the Grouch on a drinking binge.

I just prefer to be a realist about it. And frankly, my opinion carries the same weight as any other fan, so not much.

If it's a big deal to you or something you fixate on, that's your issue.

• Pie 1
  • Poo 1

8 hours ago, kungfoodude said:

If it is not an injury based shitting the bed, it obviously puts the whole franchise on the hot seat. Then you go from looking like an aggressive staff, front office and owner to looking like early Dan Snyder and the Foreskins. 

However, if it is just one bad season and he returns to form, that would dissipate quickly.

I guess I'm just trying to say that Watson is not some magical miracle that makes us a winner. Some here seem to feel that way though IMO.

3 hours ago, kungfoodude said:

I do question how big the Watson package would be to the Jets or Dolphins. If we are to believe that the 2nd or 3rd overall pick in this draft is worth at least another 1st round draft pick and additional picks(I have seen it mocked as much as for two firsts), it seems to me like I wouldn't be particularly eager to just give that up so willingly with another two firsts and other picks stacked on top of it. After all, if you just trade down in the draft, you could also potentially gain a fuging haul. 

Miami is the team I would think would really like to go all in.  There were a good team last year.  They don't need the the to rebuild like the Jets.

They have, I think, 5 1st over the next 3 years.  They could probably trade Tua for another 1st

• Beer 1

11 minutes ago, AU-panther said:

Miami is the team I would think would really like to go all in.  There were a good team last year.  They don't need the the to rebuild like the Jets.

They have, I think, 5 1st over the next 3 years.  They could probably trade Tua for another 1st

All-in to Miami is also possibly thinking either Tua, or one of Fields/Wilson is good enough to win with, and that those 5 firsts to shore up their last remaining weaknesses for immediate impact players are the key to going all in

Edited by MVPccaffrey
  • Beer 1

Honestly, that trade wouldn’t be too bad. Only two firsts, and it solves the “too much money in WRs to resign Curtis” conundrum. We’d be left without a star RB, but we could resign Samuel this year and DJ next year. Still a very good WR pair. Draft a 3rd or 4th rd RB (or not and let Bonnefon have a shot at the backup gig), keep Davis as a stopgap starting RB. 

8 hours ago, Anybodyhome said:

I've sat back and watched the catfight over DeShaun Watson play out over the past few weeks while thinking about the best way to post my thoughts.

As much as I think Watson would be a franchise QB, it's not going to happen if you have to give up the few building blocks the team already has. Giving up the draft picks necessary to build an O-line and a few players on D, while also trading a major offensive weapon in CMC and/or a WR makes no sense. 

You've created a team which is much worse than last year's by losing starting players and gave up the draft picks necessary to replace them just so you could land a QB... who, by the way, no longer has one of the best RBs in the game and one of the best WR corps in the league, not to mention a suspect O-line that's not getting fixed any time soon under this scenario.

As awesome as it would be to get Watson, I agree with this post. 3 firsts...maybe 1 player, but anything beyond that....nope. 

8 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

The biggest knock on any trade package we can offer is that it doesn't include an answer at QB. They shouldn't want Teddy and one reason why we're likely so desperate to trade for Watson is that #8 looks to likely be on the outside looking in on the top QB prospects in this year's draft. The Jets and Dolphins not only have young QBs with potential upside to offer, they also have a pick that is guaranteed to be able to secure one of the top QB prospects in this year's draft if that's the direction the Texans want to go.

Genuine question, what has Tua done that makes him more impressive than Jones?

People poo on Jones on here, yet think Tua's part of any Dolphins deal for Watson.