• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Teddy may have another suitor...

t96

3 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

You have to find one that's still open.

I know.  Was trying to suggest the idea that K-Mart coupons are still more valuable than Teddy Checkdown but the humor was too subtle.

Admittedly, it's not my best work.

Edited by bythenbrs
  • Beer 2

1 hour ago, Mr. Scot said:

I'd love to have Thuney, but we're already going to be paying one franchise tag level salary to Moton.

Not sure we can afford two of those.

Every single Pats OL that they develop internally and leaves disappoints with their new team. Even aside from salary I'd stay far away.

2 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I would literally trade him for anything. Conditional 7th rounder two years from now? Sweet! Deal!

Literally any draft compensation would be found money.  It would be a boon to the Panthers to find someone to take on his contract and let us off the hook, regardless

4 minutes ago, Seltzer said:

Literally any draft compensation would be found money.  It would be a boon to the Panthers to find someone to take on his contract and let us off the hook, regardless

This. I don't care about compensation because I just want out of the contract and trading him is better than cutting him in that regard.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

I've never seen Teddy as a upper tier starter in the NFL. I'd love to see an upgrade like the rest of you. But, I think the Teddy hate on this site at times is a little over the top.

He's only played 13 games or more 3 times in his career due to his career threatening injury in 2017. Despite his lackluster TD to INT ratio (15-11) he missed the 4,000 yard mark by less than 300 yards. He played behind a offensive line that was mediocre at best. He didn't have the best offensive weapon on the team (CMC) due to his injures.

The defense allowed over 25 points per game. Only one player on defense had more than 5 sacks. Only one CB had an interception the entire season. 

He definitely blew some opportunities to pull some games out down the stretch. He's not a franchise guy who can put a team on his shoulders and carry them for long periods. But, I don't think he deserves all the blame he's getting for last year's 5-11 record. I have always looked at him as a bridge (no pun intended) until we get OUR GUY. If everyone stays healthy and we have a strong draft class we could be knocking on the door for a playoff spot next season and possibly take control of the NFC South when Brady, Brees, and Ryan ride off into the sunset. 

Edited by SCO96
  • Pie 1

I could see Teddy working out really well for Belichick. Better than he did here.

There was something nearly collegiate about Brady's calling the offense at the later part of the season. Hopefully he learned a lot (and will get up into the danged coach's box for a good view). Not saying it hurt Bridgewater's performance, but yeah, I am. It hurt the team for the coordinator to not have a good view of the entire field. He couldn't see defensive movement tendencies and had to rely on what the receivers were telling them about how open they were on any given play (never trust a receiver on this --  they are always open). 

13 minutes ago, SCO96 said:

I've never seen Teddy as a upper tier starter in the NFL. I'd love to see an upgrade like the rest of you. But, I think the Teddy hate on this site at times is a little over the top.

He's only played 13 games or more 3 times in his career due to his career threatening injury in 2017. Despite his lackluster TD to INT ratio (15-11) he missed the 4,000 yard mark by less than 300 yards. He played behind a offensive line that was mediocre at best. He didn't have the best offensive weapon on the team (CMC) due to his injures.

The defense allowed over 25 points per game. Only one player on defense had more than 5 sacks. Only one CB had an interception the entire season. 

He definitely blew some opportunities to pull some games out down the stretch. He's not a franchise guy who can put a team on his shoulders and carry them for long periods. But, I don't think he deserves all the blame he's getting for last year's 5-11 record. I have always looked at him as a bridge (no pun intended) until we get OUR GUY. If everyone stays healthy and we have a strong draft class we could be knocking on the door for a playoff spot next season and possibly take control of the NFC South when Brady, Brees, and Ryan ride off into the sunset. 

He was also throwing the the best WR corps in team history and produced the 6th lowest TD% in team history only behind Kerry Collins(1997), Chris Weinke(2001), Vinny Testaverde(2007), Jake Delhomme(2009), and Jimmy Clausen(2010). And this is while throwing for the 6th most yards in Panthers history

Now, take a good look at those seasons I mentioned because they were all awful QB performances that ended up with every one of those QB's being off the team afterwards(although Testaverde was a band-aid, anyway). In fact the most yardage thrown in one of those performances on that list was the 2124 yards by Kerry Collins in 1997. 

He didn't even turn out to be a game manager, he turned out to be a backup. Which, we should have known this after the Jets traded him to keep Darnold and a 39 year old Josh McCown and the Saints chose to pay Taysom Hill and Jameis Winston over keeping Teddy. 

• Beer 2

28 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

He was also throwing the the best WR corps in team history and produced the 6th lowest TD% in team history only behind Kerry Collins(1997), Chris Weinke(2001), Vinny Testaverde(2007), Jake Delhomme(2009), and Jimmy Clausen(2010). And this is while throwing for the 6th most yards in Panthers history

I'd take the 2003 WR corp (Muhammed, Smith, and Proehl) over the 2020 squad any day of the week. 

30 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

Now, take a good look at those seasons I mentioned because they were all awful QB performances that ended up with every one of those QB's being off the team afterwards(although Testaverde was a band-aid, anyway). In fact the most yardage thrown in one of those performances on that list was the 2124 yards by Kerry Collins in 1997. 

He didn't even turn out to be a game manager, he turned out to be a backup. Which, we should have known this after the Jets traded him to keep Darnold and a 39 year old Josh McCown and the Saints chose to pay Taysom Hill and Jameis Winston over keeping Teddy. 

I've actually agree that Teddy isn't a "franchise QB".   I just think placing most of the blame for the 11 losses on him without acknowledging the other role the other weaknesses played is a bit unfair. I also don't believe mortgaging our future draft choices and legit starters for one QB (FA or draft choice) is they way to build a solid contender with all of our roster holes. We are more than a QB away from competing for a NFC title.