• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

This is not "big news"

Mr. Scot

Just now, kungfoodude said:

Well we offered a 1st and 5th for him, reportedly. I'd say we viewed him pretty highly.

Thus the question about a highly athletic QB.

Not sure anyone in the NFL would have Stafford in their top 5 when speaking about someone athletic.

1 minute ago, stirs said:

Thus the question about a highly athletic QB.

Not sure anyone in the NFL would have Stafford in their top 5 when speaking about someone athletic.

I don't think they mean specifically athletically, although it is certainly a big part of the modern NFL. Stafford also has an elite arm, which is something Teddy absolutely doesn't have. 

That is the big boost from Teddy. Stafford has great intangibles and has an elite arm. 

• Pie 1

6 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

I don't think they mean specifically athletically, although it is certainly a big part of the modern NFL. Stafford also has an elite arm, which is something Teddy absolutely doesn't have. 

That is the big boost from Teddy. Stafford has great intangibles and has an elite arm. 

Well, just not sure.  The big news, not big news thread was about physical limitations.  So I guess we are left to wonder.  Teddy much quicker on his feet than Stafford, so maybe the talking head should have said the Panthers were looking for a big arm.

1 minute ago, stirs said:

Well, just not sure.  The big news, not big news thread was about physical limitations.  So I guess we are left to wonder.  Teddy much quicker on his feet than Stafford, so maybe the talking head should have said the Panthers were looking for a big arm.

Physical limitations can definitely be referring to arm. I think that is what the gist of it was. 

59 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

But it is some interesting info and analysis from Albert Breer's latest Monday Morning Quarterback Column.

The Panthers sure are motivated to get better at quarterback. I asked one well-placed source this week about something I’d heard for about a month now—that owner David Tepper was consumed with the idea of finding a long-term answer at the position. “More like obsessed,” was the response I got. And so the idea of Deshaun Watson becoming a Panther? Obviously, that is of great interest to everyone in Charlotte, with the boss being at the top of the list. But the underlying fact here is that a year after signing Teddy Bridgewater to a three-year, $63 million contract, Carolina’s already looking to move on. And the main reason for it, as I’ve heard it, is that he’s very clearly shown the physical limitations that limited interest in him as a free agent last year. The problem, for the Panthers, is that $10 million of Bridgewater’s $17 million base for 2021 (he also has a $250,000 workout bonus and $750,000 in per-game roster bonuses) is already fully guaranteed. And if he’s cut, unless he can find someone to pay him more than that, another team could just pay him the minimum and let the Panthers pick up the rest of the tab. So what will Carolina do here? My best guess is they’ll continue to monitor the Watson situation for the next two months and, if the Texans stick to their guns, look hard at trading up from No. 8 for a quarterback. And my one tell on that would be here: Carolina was very involved on Stafford, and not at all on Wentz, which tells you they’re not just going to swing at whoever’s available.

If physical limitations are a problem with Bridgewater, then it seems hard to imagine that they would draft Mac Jones.

Mind you, this doesn't necessarily mean they're looking for another Cam Newton, just somebody that's more athletic than Teddy.

(which is kind of a low threshold / broad range)

We are obviously looking for a QB with a very strong arm.  One with the ability and the gumption to push the ball down the field and use our weapons to the fullest capabilities.  Brady and Rhule obviously want a deep shot offense....and Teddy is anything but a deep shot QB.

25 minutes ago, stirs said:

This place is getting so Pizzy now.  Even thread titles are darts at others.

"my thread is better than your thread"

It's like Jr High in here

Let's just say I'm making clear it's not clickbait.

As to the physical limitations, the only modifying information Breer gives is that they're the same ones that "limited interest in him as a free agent last year".

So yes, most likely arm strength.

• Beer 1

1 hour ago, MHS831 said:

All signs point toward Tepper calling the shots.  Hope the QB's athleticism is not also Tepper's decision.

Yanno, I'm just hoping that accuracy, leadership and reading a defense are higher priorities than athleticism for our next starting QB.

He can be as immobile as a second generation Manning as long as he can get the ball out quick, accurately and to the receiver who can make the most of it. A Mahomes or Wilson is fantastic if you've got one, but there sure are a lot of QBs who've been touted as the next ones who were just second rate versions of them. Great mobile QBs aren't the norm, no matter how sought after they are, they are rare finds.

• Beer 1

1 minute ago, Khyber53 said:

Yanno, I'm just hoping that accuracy, leadership and reading a defense are higher priorities than athleticism for our next starting QB.

He can be as immobile as a second generation Manning as long as he can get the ball out quick, accurately and to the receiver who can make the most of it. A Mahomes or Wilson is fantastic if you've got one, but there sure are a lot of QBs who've been touted as the next ones who were just second rate versions of them. Great mobile QBs aren't the norm, no matter how sought after they are, they are rare finds.

Matt Rhule and Scott Fitterer were asked separately about their quarterback criteria. Both mentioned accuracy and intelligence as top traits.

Fitterer mentioned arm strength. Rhule referenced "enough arm strength to make all the throws".

Neither mentioned being a run threat, though both seem to agree that pocket mobility is a good thing.

• Pie 2