• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

This is not "big news"

Mr. Scot

2 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Matt Rhule and Scott Fitterer were asked separately about their quarterback criteria. Both mentioned accuracy and intelligence as top traits.

Fitterer mentioned arm strength. Rhule referenced "enough arm strength to make all the throws".

Neither mentioned being a run threat, though both seem to agree that pocket mobility is a good thing.

Give me Peyton's arm, Brady's vision and Tarkenton's ability to move. Let Luke teach him to read defenses.

I'm not asking for much.

• Pie 1

2 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Matt Rhule and Scott Fitterer were asked separately about their quarterback criteria. Both mentioned accuracy and intelligence as top traits.

Fitterer mentioned arm strength. Rhule referenced "enough arm strength to make all the throws".

Neither mentioned being a run threat, though both seem to agree that pocket mobility is a good thing.

One says Stafford/Wilson, the other said Fields/Jones.

End of the day, intelligence is weighed heavier than arm strength....in my book.

2 minutes ago, thefuzz said:

One says Stafford/Wilson, the other said Fields/Jones.

End of the day, intelligence is weighed heavier than arm strength....in my book.

I actually think that's true in their book as well.

It's not like anybody was ever intimidated by Matt Stafford as a run threat, but we were willing to pay a good price to get him.

4 hours ago, MHS831 said:

All signs point toward Tepper calling the shots.  Hope the QB's athleticism is not also Tepper's decision.

I don't see it that way.  I think that while he clearly wants an upgrade at QB (and is correct in wanting it), he is letting the professionals do their jobs.  Other than the idea of him being obsessed with getting a franchise QB and willing to pay, I haven't heard one word about him actually being involved with any negotiations or decisions.  Everything seems to be funneling through Rhule and Fitterer.  

The thing is, he's not saying anything any knucklehead fan doesn't already know...we need a legitimate franchise QB.  I believe he just realizes that we may not have another opportunity like we have this offseason.  You rarely have a young top 5 QB who wants out, and may become available, nor do you typically see this number of high-level QB's in the draft.

My impression is that he recognizes this at a rare opportunity, and just like he does in his business life, he is ready to take advantage of the situation.  And based on what I know of Rhule, I think he right there with him.

• Pie 2

4 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

In the following bullet point, Breer says he thinks the next big quarterback discussion will be about Sam Darnold.

He adds though that he doesn't think it likely happens till the end of March because the Jets are going to be thorough in their evaluations.

If Watson doesn’t work out and the Jets draft Wilson I could see the Panthers moving back, acquiring picks...and trading an acquired 1st (either this year or next) or this years 2nd to the Jets for Darnold. 

4 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

But it is some interesting info and analysis from Albert Breer's latest Monday Morning Quarterback Column.

The Panthers sure are motivated to get better at quarterback. I asked one well-placed source this week about something I’d heard for about a month now—that owner David Tepper was consumed with the idea of finding a long-term answer at the position. “More like obsessed,” was the response I got. And so the idea of Deshaun Watson becoming a Panther? Obviously, that is of great interest to everyone in Charlotte, with the boss being at the top of the list. But the underlying fact here is that a year after signing Teddy Bridgewater to a three-year, $63 million contract, Carolina’s already looking to move on. And the main reason for it, as I’ve heard it, is that he’s very clearly shown the physical limitations that limited interest in him as a free agent last year. The problem, for the Panthers, is that $10 million of Bridgewater’s $17 million base for 2021 (he also has a $250,000 workout bonus and $750,000 in per-game roster bonuses) is already fully guaranteed. And if he’s cut, unless he can find someone to pay him more than that, another team could just pay him the minimum and let the Panthers pick up the rest of the tab. So what will Carolina do here? My best guess is they’ll continue to monitor the Watson situation for the next two months and, if the Texans stick to their guns, look hard at trading up from No. 8 for a quarterback. And my one tell on that would be here: Carolina was very involved on Stafford, and not at all on Wentz, which tells you they’re not just going to swing at whoever’s available.

If physical limitations are a problem with Bridgewater, then it seems hard to imagine that they would draft Mac Jones.

Mind you, this doesn't necessarily mean they're looking for another Cam Newton, just somebody that's more athletic than Teddy.

(which is kind of a low threshold / broad range)

hey I like the title, glad I inspired you. 

10 minutes ago, Verge said:

Been saying this, but it's one of these qbs. 

1. Watson 
2. Z.Wilson 
3. Fields 
4. Lance 

My $$ is on Fields.

Wilson goes to the Jets at 2

Texans don't budge off Watson by the Draft.

We reportedly Love Fields, and I see why.  As a lot of the stuff they describe in what they want in a QB describes Fields.

Fields also reminds me of Watson when he was coming out.  Our new QB Coach who cosched Watson is perfect to work with Fields.

Plus Tepper will be thrilled to snag a Georgia kid before division rival Atlanta can.

2 minutes ago, ncfan said:

My $$ is on Fields.

Wilson goes to the Jets at 2

Texans don't budge off Watson by the Draft.

We reportedly Love Fields, and I see why.  As a lot of the stuff they describe in what they want in a QB describes Fields.

Fields also reminds me of Watson when he was coming out.  Our new QB Coach who cosched Watson is perfect to work with Fields.

Plus Tepper will be thrilled to snag a Georgia kid before division rival Atlanta can.

I had a dream we drafted Fields. That is my insider source for the day haha

2 minutes ago, Ryano1974 said:

Verge, what is your take on Fields?  Based on your list above I assume you think panthers brass like him better than Lance.  Do you feel the same?

I am...iffy on Fields. I think he is a really good QB prospect don't get me wrong, and he has all the tools you could ask for. I just think he is absurdly streaky, struggles under pressure, and seems to have some kind of weird on off switch? I am also not a huge fan of his disposition, but to say it would affect my grade on him would be disingenuous because I don't really have a way to evaluate anything beyond the surface. 

I do think the Panthers probably like Fields a little better, I feel better about Lance though.